U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,974,487 times

Advertisements

There is an article in the NY Times about the growing number of white children in Manhattan. 32% more today than there was 7 years ago in 2000. Quite the large change it seems. The catch is that the parents of these kids tend to be extremely wealthy.

You can see the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/23/nyregion/23kid.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,414,619 times
McManhattan..........Ugh.......

Old 03-24-2007, 04:22 AM

911 posts, read 3,199,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There is an article in the NY Times about the growing number of white children in Manhattan. 32% more today than there was 7 years ago in 2000. Quite the large change it seems. The catch is that the parents of these kids tend to be extremely wealthy.

You can see the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/23/nyregion/23kid.html
Does that Upset You?
Why?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:40 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,974,487 times
Does it upset me? Well no one can accuse me of being against white people, but I dont' know if I like this.

I say that only because I think I know who these people are who are having all of these children. They appear to be your typical rich, not originally from the area, overly liberal in their politics, looking down upon everyone who lives outside of their borough type of Manhattanite. So now these same people are having lots of kids and this article is saying that there is going to be more of them in the city than ever before.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this situation.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Does it upset me? Well no one can accuse me of being against white people, but I dont' know if I like this.

I say that only because I think I know who these people are who are having all of these children. They appear to be your typical rich, not originally from the area, overly liberal in their politics, looking down upon everyone who lives outside of their borough type of Manhattanite. So now these same people are having lots of kids and this article is saying that there is going to be more of them in the city than ever before.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this situation.
What else is new.. But there are many more of these affluent white rich in the NYC metro area than in the rest of the country as a percentage (excluding California). It just give Manhattan as an example but if you look at most of Queens & Brooklyn you see the same thing. Much of NYC is going thru a 'reverse white flight' and 'reverse immigration'. The white population & the average income has increased significantly since 2000 all around the 5 boros & on Long Island as well.

Too bad that if you are White, Single & have a college degree and only making $75,000 or so, you are considered low class in this city and your housing options (either to buy or rent) are basically nothing if you have not lived in the same apartment for 20 + years and fall under rent stabilization.

Notice that even as rents spiral higher & apartment prices start in the $600,000's or $300,000 in the 'other 4 boros', demand still far exeeds supply and sellers have no problem getting above asking price for an apartment on the market only a few days.

And not only do they look down upon those who don't live in Manhattan (in the right neighborhood) but look down upon those who don't wear $400 Premium Denim jeans & $1,000 Prada Sweaters. Too bad that these kids will be nothing more than superficial materialistic sheep who will get their six figure white collar job thru their daddy's connections and only be concerned with wearing the right labels & driving the right car.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
My only concern with these type of people is that they tend to have no soul. NYC, well specifically Manhattan is getting so yuppiefied, it's kind of getting boring. A lot of neiborhoods are kind of starting to look the same.

There used to be an authentic sense of a New York culture in Manhattan, these days it seems to be harder and harder to find.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:17 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
My only concern with these type of people is that they tend to have no soul. NYC, well specifically Manhattan is getting so yuppiefied, it's kind of getting boring. A lot of neiborhoods are kind of starting to look the same.

There used to be an authentic sense of a New York culture in Manhattan, these days it seems to be harder and harder to find.
What type of culture do you mean?? The only culture you see today in Manhattan is a bunch of 20 and 30 year old materialistic consumerist sheep only concerned with buying things & spending money. Some of this may not be related to income but a result of the 6 year credit bubble. Do they all work on Wall Street making that $285,000 average salary (the average person you see in Manhattan ) or is everyone is extreme debt and getting handouts from Mommy & Dadd???

Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM

500 posts, read 2,672,738 times
Gosh... if only NickL28 would take his repetitive speech elsewhere...

How many times have you posted the same thing, Nick? Honestly?

Sorry you live in Pennsylvania and you have an extreme commute to Manhattan, but enough of this!

I think we all complain too much about the current state of things.

"Manhattan is a playground for the rich". "Manhattan is a boring mall".

Bull****. Not true.

You all are just acting as every New Yorker in the past has done: longing for the past. "It was so much better twenty years ago". And so on.

You all want to live in the 1930's or something? Eh?

This is today, now. The present. We're better than ever before. Take it or leave it. Sorry you can't afford Manhattan. Sorry you're jealous of those who can.

Too bad you have to make up imaginary worlds as Nick does.

But enough whining, OK. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:00 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
What type of culture do you mean?? The only culture you see today in Manhattan is a bunch of 20 and 30 year old materialistic consumerist sheep only concerned with buying things & spending money. Some of this may not be related to income but a result of the 6 year credit bubble. Do they all work on Wall Street making that $285,000 average salary (the average person you see in Manhattan ) or is everyone is extreme debt and getting handouts from Mommy & Dadd???
Did you actually read my post? I pretty much agreed with what you just wrote.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or