Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times

Advertisements

There is a program right now on CTV-34, showing the Staten Island Bluebelt. NYC is so lucky to have such a beautiful, pleasant, borough, with such lovely parks, lakes, oceans, reserves, and hills. WHAT A TREASURE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I agree Rubies, S.I.gets a bad rap... mostly from people who have never been there or have only been on the S.I. expressway.There are some stunning spots.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree Rubies, S.I.gets a bad rap... mostly from people who have never been there or have only been on the S.I. expressway.There are some stunning spots.
Thank you so much, bluedog2, at least you are one of the few people who can see beauty for what it is. I laugh at all these people knocking Staten Island down, without knowing much about it. I lived in Manhattan, the Bronx for six months, and Brooklyn for several years before moving to this little paradise.

Not to sound overly pretentious, but now I do not have to squash the roaches, with my feet, anymore. My house sits on a hill overlooking the ocean, yet not very far from it, and it is very spacious, with a three car garage. I have a beautiful garden, with gorgeous flowers soon to flower, where I play with bunnies, and beautiful birds to watch and feed, yet I am only 20 minutes to Wall Street, and Brooklyn, and all the amenities both offer. Plus we have our own ammenties to enjoy, and pay low-property taxes.

I am able to go to the reserves, and enjoy the multitude of parks and lakes we have, and the free concerts the borough offers during the warm months.

So to all those Staten Island bashers.......I say, eat your heart out !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM

190 posts, read 814,039 times
Staten Island is a very beautiful borough and the people really go out of their way to be nice to you in most parts.
However, I'm just one of those people who are biased by the proximity and easy access to the other boroughs. That whole ferry thing was not my cup of tea. If I had the means I probably wouldn't rule out living there and taking up golf-- as long as I didn't have to go into Manahttan.
Anyway, I agree, SI is a beautiful place. The cost of housing is much cheaper than the rest of the City; driving around is nice and pleasant; and the ferry is nice on weekends during the warmer months. As a commuter I would hate it though. I did it for a couple of months plus I would go over my gf's late at night. It makes me just want to either stay away or just become a shut in.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Default To: SCHIPHOL

Sometimes that is the price one has to pay to live better. It is either live in Manhattan with the roaches, unless one has lots of money to live in a high-rise apartment, or commute. Most people that live here commute to either Manhattan or Brooklyn, but look what awaits them when they get home: A very pleasant environment.

The Ferry is only 20 minutes to Wall Street, and one can live near the Ferry, if one works in Manhattan, or near the Verrazano Bridge, if one works in Brooklyn. We have The Staten Island Railroad, in addition to the Ferry, and a multitude of Express Busses, taking people into the "City."

The only thing lacking is a SUBWAY, and if that ever happened, so many people will move here, that it will no longer be a little paradise, and that will force me to move out!!! As it stands, we already have 500,000 people and growing.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times
I've lived on SI my whole life. It might be safer and a bit more pleasant than the other boroughs but it has really gone downhill the last 10 years. It's too crowded and alot of people have attitudes.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
I've lived on SI my whole life. It might be safer and a bit more pleasant than the other boroughs but it has really gone downhill the last 10 years. It's too crowded and alot of people have attitudes.
I believe that the Borough President has made many improvements starting with the South Beach Boardwalk, the wetlands, and the fishing pier in Princess Bay.

Yes, there are more people from Brooklyn that have moved here recently, and certain parts are more crowded than others, but if you go below Richomond Avenue between the Expressway and Hylan Boulevard, what is called the South Shore, you will find houses in larger lots, and is less crowded, but also more expensive.

The North Shore seems to have certain areas that are not that appealing, but they have been that way since I moved here many moons ago.

As far as attitudes, they are a part of living in NYC. Even many parts of New Jersey surrounding NYC have acquired big- time attitudes.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
I have lived on Staten Island for the past 18 years. Although the island has area that look "pretty" it is nothing of the sort. There is a HUGE prescription drug abuse problem here on the island. From end to end. Read the Advance every day, all the youth stories have to do with drugs, even though it isn't always reported. Don't take my word for it guys, do your own research. And for the record, people here for the most part are very very rude.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM

61 posts, read 142,130 times
Quote:
I have lived on Staten Island for the past 18 years. Although the island has area that look "pretty" it is nothing of the sort. There is a HUGE prescription drug abuse problem here on the island. From end to end. Read the Advance every day, all the youth stories have to do with drugs, even though it isn't always reported. Don't take my word for it guys, do your own research. And for the record, people here for the most part are very very rude.
I totally agree, been living here for 28 yrs. it's gone to pot! 3 more yrs till retirement and I"M OUT OF HERE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City