U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,243,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
the best paying jobs should be cops and firefighters.
I agree with that! Their lives are on the line every day! Now, do you by chance wear a badge? If I can ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353
I agree with that! Their lives are on the line every day! Now, do you by chance wear a badge? If I can ask
no, but I go to college for Criminal Justice. I also see what cops and firefighters go through. Now that is one tough job.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,243,283 times
I have some friends in the field. Lots of stress im sure

Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 12,909 times
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
Are their sales jobs that someone can do while working their day time job? Would love to make the big bucks but can't afford to give up what I have to get to the big bucks at this time. For example are their legit business oportunities such as insurance or investment sales that someone can do in the weekend or evening hours? Many people work during the day maybe they would appreciate having and agent meet with them on off hours when they are home. I could be on to something. What do you think?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM

750 posts, read 2,128,424 times
Why does anyone need that much money though? Once you make about $60,000 you'll be comfortable for a single person in NY. $100,000 - $150,000 for a single person or twice that for a family is more than enough money, and most jobs at the senior managerial level pay at least that in NYC. When I was making $60K I was living it up, had a nice big apartment in Astoria to myself, traveling the world, buying clothes and entertainment all the time and eating well. I'd rather get a job that I actually enjoy doing that doesn't involve that much time commitment and stress and be making between 100-200K than working 80 hour weeks doing boring work to make 250k plus. For example, I have sub contractors at the consulting company that I work for that make $220K a year, only work 40 hours a week from Mon-Thurs, and can take as much time as they want between projects. They have little or no stress compared to Bankers who work 100 hour weeks in a stressful, competitive environment for less (per hour). If you really enjoy this type of work, that's a different story. I'd rather be a baseball player or actor or painter or DJ or something that i'm truly passionate about and make less.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Why does anyone need that much money though? Once you make about $60,000 you'll be comfortable for a single person in NY. $100,000 - $150,000 for a single person or twice that for a family is more than enough money, and most jobs at the senior managerial level pay at least that in NYC. When I was making $60K I was living it up, had a nice big apartment in Astoria to myself, traveling the world, buying clothes and entertainment all the time and eating well. I'd rather get a job that I actually enjoy doing that doesn't involve that much time commitment and stress and be making between 100-200K than working 80 hour weeks doing boring work to make 250k plus. For example, I have sub contractors at the consulting company that I work for that make $220K a year, only work 40 hours a week from Mon-Thurs, and can take as much time as they want between projects. They have little or no stress compared to Bankers who work 100 hour weeks in a stressful, competitive environment for less (per hour). If you really enjoy this type of work, that's a different story. I'd rather be a baseball player or actor or painter or DJ or something that i'm truly passionate about and make less.
That's a rather disingenuous and narrow view. It all depends on your expenses: rent/maintenance, debt (like student loans), whether one is supporting one's parents, whether it's a high-risk profession (like medicine, where malpractice insurance can, for some specialties, run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars each year). And contractors ARE paid a fair bit because they ARE contractors: no benefits, no perks and work isn't guaranteed. A single person who is a maitre d' at a top flight restaurant may have to have multiple tuxedos for his work. You have no idea how much is 'enough' for a single person. You know how much would be enough for YOU.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-31-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM

I want as much money as I can get. I want more money than I can get if I can get it. Would love to make 8 figures or more a year. Just not knowledgable on how to do it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,492,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I want as much money as I can get. I want more money than I can get if I can get it. Would love to make 8 figures or more a year. Just not knowledgable on how to do it.
me too. anxiously awaiting posters' advice!!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Not sure if you have ever read any of his interviews or watched his show, I prefer the thoughts of Gene Simmonds of Kiss. He has ammased a large fortune and informs the world that it is good to be him. Simmonds states that it is better to be rich. More poor people commit crimes than those that have money. Sure the rich have their share of criminals but gennerally speaking the majority of criminals are poor. People that have money are more equipped to take care of themselves in every aspect of life. The rich have less stressfull lives than the poor. Lets see is it more stressfull to make that million dollar sale, or wonder where you will get the money to pay the rent or putt food on the table. I bet the person making that big sale will be eating well and have a nice place to live. Got to hand it to Mr. Simmonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or