Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

According to the NY Times, the median annual income for the parents of white Manhattan toddlers was $284,000. Does someone know what kind of jobs pay this kind of money, and what are the qualifications? My husband is looking for a career change and I want to suggest that he go for the money. Has anyone ever been to a career counselor in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Oh there are lots of jobs that pay this much. Most of the people making that type of money are Lawyers, Doctors, Investment Bankers, and other assorted Wall Street/Financial types. Also executives (VP/President, CEOs) tend to make salaries like that. Unlike the rest of the country, the percentage of these types of people is VERY high among the white population living in Manhattan.

However to generally get into one of these jobs the door is closed to you unless you went to some very prestigious/upper crust college or graduate school (think Ivy league: Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Princeton). You can't even get an interview for most of these high paying positions unless you went to one of the better schools.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 196,989 times
SALES is a great way to make that kind of $$ but you have to have thick skin, be able to take A LOT of rejection and handle pressure well. It is tough but if you have a strong enough personality and confidence in yourself, love to make new friends, and are motivated by money, sales can be a lot of fun. You have to be able to ride out the highs and lows but the financial rewards can be EXCELLENT. I only decided to get into sales about 2yrs ago after working in admin within the entertainment industry, and my life has done a 180 and plenty of my coworkers easily make over $250K so I have daily motivation. Plus you don't need an MBA for it, it's the closest you can get to being your own boss while still having one, and the hours are flexible so as a female that's bonus becuase I've seen so many of my female coworkers who have been top sellers AND have had time for their families. I really think it's the perfect job. Key is also selling the right product/be in the right industry.

Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 PM

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of sales do you do? My husband currently is a retail manager, so sales is a part of his job, and he's excellent at it. He's gone on interviews for different sales positions, but so far they have all been jobs with no base salary and poor benefits.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 196,989 times
I’m in the legal industry. But areas like software sale, pharmaceutical, insurance…etc can be very lucrative. A good place to start and learn sales is for the Yellow Pages – they have an EXCELLENT training program and you do that for a year or two and prove yourself, you can move on. I can’t say you’ll make the big money there but it is like anything else a growth process. Most places yes offer no base, a low base, or a draw. Meaning they’ll give you say $4k every month but you have to make that and over in sales to keep it essentially. Benefits should be as good as any other company though. A friend of mine ended up doing sales for the local cable company and did very well. Think of something he likes and see if they have a sales force, for example beer companies have sales reps. Now there is a product that sells itself! Key for your husband is to get in someplace to get his feet wet and show his potential. It can seem like a step backwards but you know what they say…sometimes you have to take a step back to get two steps ahead. I was one of them. I left a nice secure job in the city as an admn assistant and took a sales job with no experience. I definitely say my bank account go into the red at times and had to go get a second job to float myself until the money tapered off. So I went from having a salary, making half of that, to now making over double what I started off with. I’m not saying it’ll be that way for you and your husband but as cheesy as you may think this sounds, make sure you see The Pursuit of Happiness with Will Smith. That’s the extreme but I think sales people can relate.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the advice Dizzy321. I'll relay the info to him and see what comes up.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Thanks for sharing your story Dizzy, it is inspirational!!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
the best paying jobs should be cops and firefighters.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM

I agree, and having read ontheroad's thread, gave you an reputation point for that thought!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM

122 posts, read 790,401 times
A lot of those well-off Manhattan dwellers grew up loaded to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City