U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,223,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Who knows what might happen? The grandchildren of the Jews and Irish who moved out of The Bronx in the 1960s and 70s might start coming back!
Just as easily the current migration trend keeps occuring. The few remaining whites get kicked out of Norwood, kingsbridge and Bedford Park by the displaced residents of Uptown Manhattan. As more of these low income residents move in, crime increases. University Heights and Fordham will be left vacant as they are the Foreclosure capital of NYC. This abandonement spreads as people keep getting displaced.

You may have something similar to the 1980's.

But again who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,115,083 times
That is a dismal picture of the future...but it is entirely possible that the northerncentral Bronx becomes the no man's land and totally undesireable/left to the poor while the South Bronx thrives and pushes people further north...wow...entirely possible.

You really don't know..as history has proven especially in this borough, anything can happen. 5 years ago (forget about 25 years ago) who would even joke at the idea of selling luxury lofts in the heart of Mott Haven for $400,000-$800,000...NOBODY..and here they are in the Bronx Bricks development. This borough is completely unpredictable..I love it!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Let me ask you......what do you think will be the effect of the extremely high foreclosures in University Heights and Fordham?

And why do you think it is hitting these areas especially hard?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 PM

I don't think the forclosures are hitting the city the same way they are hitting the rest of the nation for a number of reasons. The demand for housing in the city remains very strong, however because of unsustainable mortgages, co-ops will be on the chopping block but others in the community (and now outside of the community) will see the opportunity to buy a place. So at the end of the day, they will be bought up again..and life goes on.

That's my 2 cents...

Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Simply put the rents are way too high and the people in these neighborhoods dont earn nearly as much to afford it.

Probably University Heights and Fordham are directly affected with higher rents due to their close proximity to the ever increasing Washington Heights and Inwood rents. The problem is that the people here dont earn as much as the ones in Manhattan and therefore are forced to leave their homes.

Rents better go down soon or these two neighborhoods are gonna be abandoned.

I think the rents are cheaper elsewhere. Remember the article that I posted about Univeristy Heights being one of two neighborhoods in the Bronx to lose population.....Along with Parkchester.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 PM

I disagree 100%, as what I have seen is as apts come available, the apts are renovated, and people move in that can afford the higher rents. What you are asserting, that because rent is going up areas are/will be abandoned is not true and there is no data suggesting that AT ALL.

Furthermore, using your logic, the very high RE prices for homes are being supported and people are buying...$300,000 condos are being sold in areas of the South Bronx, as well as $650,000 3 family homes....the areas are not being abandoned due to higher RE prices.

Although I am not saying it is not possible that those areas will decline, I am saying that your rationale is wrong and there is no evidence to support it. In fact, rent keeps going up and there is plenty of demand from the Bronx as well as the other boroughs....the Bronx is booming..haven't ya heard!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM

318 posts, read 977,872 times
It's hard to imagine any abandonment happening, barring some catastrophy. Vacancies have been very low for quite a while, and the population of the city is expected to grow in the future.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 PM

731 posts, read 1,791,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not really....you can walk to the 176th street station.
That is if you want to walk down stairs that are unlit and unsafe most of the time.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM

127 posts, read 495,423 times
I say invest now for the future, cause the Bronx is booming and blooming! We'll be the next Brooklyn in 10 years. Think about it, in some parts of Brooklyn real estate is already on par with Manhattan. Queens and Staten Island already have established residential neighborhoods. The Bronx is the last NYC frontier where a juicy long-term profit can be had. Kaching!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 AM

I really don;t see why we have to be the next Brooklyn or anything..I personally don't want to be the next Brooklyn. Brooklyn to me =severe lack of parkland and greenspace, continued severe racial tensions, rich vs poor, hipsters/gentrification at its worst form, shallow hype and marketing, and the deadliest areas in NYC. We are the Bronx, and what we have no other borough has or can have: the most parkland, the largest park, the only freshwater river in the city Bronx River, the most universities and higher educational institutions, excellent transit (public and highway), the most diverse housing stock, the most affordable housing, ethnic enclaves that are staying!, growing working/middle class communities, the most fabled sports team in the country (and world quite possibly), The World Famous Bronx Zoon, Botanical Gardens, and greening initiatives that are transforming the borough into the greenest, most bike/pedestrian friendly, and the incubator for the green future of NYC.

The Bronx is not becoming the next anything, it is just demonstrating and putting forth what it always has had to offer, and building on that. Go Bronx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or