U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,742,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I really don;t see why we have to be the next Brooklyn or anything..I personally don't want to be the next Brooklyn. Brooklyn to me =severe lack of parkland and greenspace, continued severe racial tensions, rich vs poor, hipsters/gentrification at its worst form, shallow hype and marketing, and the deadliest areas in NYC.
Now, see, that's not right. I thought that someone who stands up for The Bronx the way you do wouldn't make such comments about other boroughs. In fact, you're wrong about Brooklyn. Except for the remark about hipsters, with which I'm in full agreement. It's really too bad there's no law keeping them from our side of the East River (which isn't east of Brooklyn, by the way!)

As to the marketing and hype, that isn't exclusive to Brooklyn. Don't worry; it's on its way to The Bronx. A little more redevelopment, and you won't be able to get away from it.

And for the record, I also agree with you on the issue of "next." I hate it when anyplace is described as the next this-or-that. Just a lot of yuppie/hipster ignorance. Brooklyn isn't the next anything; and it's the only borough that used to be a separate, chartered city. (The municipal election in 1895 that authorized consolidation with NYC was rigged; it was no secret that the vast majority of Brooklynites opposed the measure, yet it passed. To this day, nobody can account for those votes!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM

3,043 posts, read 8,279,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
It's hard to imagine any abandonment happening, barring some catastrophy. Vacancies have been very low for quite a while, and the population of the city is expected to grow in the future.
Exactly. The demand is too high for people wanting to simply "move-to and live-in" NYC, for any neighborhood to become "abandoned." Those people priced out of Manhattan, a neighborhood in Queens, or Brooklyn, would be priced "into" these neighborhoods. NYC has the most people in its 5 boroughs that it has ever had in history: about 8.4 million people and growing. It's projected to hit 9 million + by 2020.
Cities like Detroit, St Louis, Cleveland, Chicago even, have to worry about abandoned 'hoods--but never NYC.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,112,083 times
Freddie...the point was not to dis Brooklyn...I do not hate brooklyn nor wish anything bad on Brooklyn..the point was why should the Bronx be anything but the Bronx? I dont' want to be the next Brooklyn because that would mean we lose everything that is unique and special that the Bronx has and no other borough can ever have.

Brooklyn is great!! I love Brooklyn...I just don't want to be the next Brooklyn...I would live there if that was the case.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Freddie...the point was not to dis Brooklyn...I do not hate brooklyn nor wish anything bad on Brooklyn..the point was why should the Bronx be anything but the Bronx? I dont' want to be the next Brooklyn because that would mean we lose everything that is unique and special that the Bronx has and no other borough can ever have.

Brooklyn is great!! I love Brooklyn...I just don't want to be the next Brooklyn...I would live there if that was the case.
Sorry if it sounded like I was up on a soapbox. I agree with you; The Bronx shouldn't be anything but The Bronx. I want the same for Brooklyn, although the current hipster infestation is making that hard to manage. I can only hope that their children and grandchildren will actually become Brooklynites, as opposed to transplanted Manhattanites.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 PM

838 posts, read 904,660 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Just looking for opinions. Does anyone think that BX will become all white and gentrified like the rest of NYC in the near future?
..that might be nice. I would love to buy a condo there then. I actually wouldn't mind having some other colorful neighbors..a mix would be nice but I know this city tends to segregate a tad.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 AM

It's not so much what the people look like; it's the way they act. I myself wouldn't care if my neighbors were white, black or green--just so long as they don't behave like yuppies and/or hipsters.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM

731 posts, read 1,790,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Sorry if it sounded like I was up on a soapbox. I agree with you; The Bronx shouldn't be anything but The Bronx. I want the same for Brooklyn, although the current hipster infestation is making that hard to manage. I can only hope that their children and grandchildren will actually become Brooklynites, as opposed to transplanted Manhattanites.
But unlike Brooklyn, if any Bronxite sees a hipster movement, they will fight to make sure they do not get evicted.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 17 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
But unlike Brooklyn, if any Bronxite sees a hipster movement, they will fight to make sure they do not get evicted.
interesting topic....however i'ma start it in another thread so this 1 does not get disrupted and i'm giving u props on bringing this up.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 AM

127 posts, read 495,238 times
When I said the Bronx will be the next Brooklyn, I meant to say that the Bronx would be rediscovered like Brooklyn has been. I definitely do not want the Bronx to be Brooklyn. Nothing wrong with Brooklyn, but I grew up in the Bronx and have family ties to the Bronx. I have the means to move out, but find that the Bronx has everything I need to live a successful life. The Bronx is unique on its own!

As for hipsters/gentrifiers, I welcome them to the Bronx. They have every right to benefit from what this great borough has to offer. I believe that all leases, including rent-stabilzed leases should be respected. Yet, if the tenant is not paying rent, the landlord has every right to kick them out and raise the rent to market rate. This is why I encourage all Bronxites to save and buy a home. That's why I said that its better to make an investment now before we are priced out.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 AM

841 posts, read 3,930,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
When I said the Bronx will be the next Brooklyn, I meant to say that the Bronx would be rediscovered like Brooklyn has been. I definitely do not want the Bronx to be Brooklyn. Nothing wrong with Brooklyn, but I grew up in the Bronx and have family ties to the Bronx. I have the means to move out, but find that the Bronx has everything I need to live a successful life. The Bronx is unique on its own!

As for hipsters/gentrifiers, I welcome them to the Bronx. They have every right to benefit from what this great borough has to offer. I believe that all leases, including rent-stabilzed leases should be respected. Yet, if the tenant is not paying rent, the landlord has every right to kick them out and raise the rent to market rate. This is why I encourage all Bronxites to save and buy a home. That's why I said that its better to make an investment now before we are priced out.
The ghettos in Brooklyn are shrinking, while the ghettos in the Bronx have spread and is getting more dense. The BX doesn't have to worry about gentrification for a while. Plus the Bronx is where everyone goes when they are priced out of their neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or