U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM

9,836 posts, read 21,538,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Are you serious? You're basically suggesting Harlem just magically got safer over night and became desirable place to live? NO. I think people who were sick of lower Manhattan being expensive built new apartment buildings there and opened stores which brought a new influx of people which made the real estate in the area worth more which made it wealthier and wealthier generally = safer. Also there is no way to help the 30% of people in the bronx living in poverty, it's a never ending cycle and they will never get out of poverty so the only solution is to get rid of a lot of the projects and start appealing to people with more money and it won't solve the poor people's problems but it will make the bronx a safer and more desirable place to live.
A lot of different factors caused Harlem to improve. Crime had been going down since the tail-end of the Dinkins admin. Also the end of the crack epidemic. To put it solely on gentrification is making a poorly informed assumption. A lot of Harlem has barely started getting gentrified. Most of it isn't gentrified yet its nowhere near as unsafe as it was in the 70's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,116,594 times
Yes I agree that the turf battles of the 50s-70s were absolutely crazy...every group fighting every other group....so people of color certianly do not have the market cornered on thuggery, violence, fighting, or street culture. It just so happens that for the past 20 years, people of color have solely been synonymous with this behavior...but the reality is it applies to ALL groups.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 AM

838 posts, read 905,977 times
I'm white and I ain't well off. LOL. I don't relate to the rich white manhattan thing

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM

3,073 posts, read 6,148,429 times
For those of who believe that the Bronx will not gentrify due to the housing projects, I strongly suggest a look at the Lower East Side over the last 20 years.

Gentrification is about supply and demand, not whitey!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,759,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Or you could have kept the racial element out of your comment and said that gentrification is definitely about color...the color green.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,227,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
For those of who believe that the Bronx will not gentrify due to the housing projects, I strongly suggest a look at the Lower East Side over the last 20 years.

What are you talking about? The projects there still house the poor and are not really any safe.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM

9,836 posts, read 21,538,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are you talking about? The projects there still house the poor and are not really any safe.
I think his point was that the PJ's wont get in the way of gentrification happening. LES being a prime example.

Get your reading comprehension game up...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or