Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,788,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
It is highly improbable that the Bronx except for a few areas will become entirely White again Because the White Euro-aboriginal population is dwindling in Europe just like here! Not to mention that fewer are coming and what little that remains are leaving Look at the chart of NYC since 1910
even with all of this so-called regentrification the numbers of whites in the City still keep dwindling look at Manhattans dwindling White population! Interesting to note most of the Euros that settle in Manhattan are not permanent residents (condotells) as well as those out of towners who keep apartments as second addresses!

Originally Posted by scatman

People got the shaft back then in order to clean up neighborhoods just like today! The neighborhood improvement act of the 1920's which had racial occupancy restrictions kept most city neighborhoods middle class and stable for decades!
Finally someone with sense. NYC is becoming even more of an immigrant city. More immigrants from South/Central America, the Caribbean and even Asia. The White population is undergoing negative growth. As yuppies move into NYC, more White middle class families leave. In the Bronx the White population has been dropping very quickly.

The Bronx will always be a lower income area of NYC. Made up mostly of Hispanic immigrants in the South, Black immigrants in the North, and a few pockets of others in the extreme east (Country Club, City Island) and extreme northwest (Riverdale). The city is also building tons of low income housing in the Bronx to attract these groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,655,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
People got the shaft back then in order to clean up neighborhoods just like today! The neighborhood improvement act of the 1920's which had racial occupancy restrictions kept most city neighborhoods middle class and stable for decades!
I don't know if I would call 'racial occupancy restrictions' morally sound policy!

Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,349,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I don't know if I would call 'racial occupancy restrictions' morally sound policy!
Well I doubt I would call it moral either, but it certainly worked a lot better than what we have today.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,662,728 times
I hope large numbers of Long Islanders don't try to move there after the price of gas goes to 6 bucks a gallon, as I fully expect it to.

What is this "white/non-white" BS, c'mon. It's the way people act that defines them, not "race", whatever that is. The concept has about as much scientific validity as the horoscope in the newspaper.

Large numbers of cell phone yakking burboids, with their country club attitudes and snottiness....yakk.

How do you say, "There goes the neighborhood" in Spanish?

Last edited by Dedalus; 05-14-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,788,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I hope large numbers of Long Islanders don't try to move there after the price of gas goes to 6 bucks a gallon, as I fully expect it to.

What is this "white/non-white" BS, c'mon. It's the way people act.

Large numbers of cell phone yakking burboids, with their country club attitudes and snottiness....yakk.

How do you say, "There goes the neighborhood" in Spanish?
I'll take the snotti Long Islander over the aggressive Bronxite any day.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I'll take the snotti Long Islander over the aggressive Bronxite any day.
You are very welcome to them.

They are anything but aggressive, about this you are right.

Like other domestic animals, they graze in the paddock, with their heads all pointed in the same direction. And when the shearing time comes, they bleat.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Thumbs down Horrible.

I can't believe people are pining for the days of racial restrictions in real estate and renting. That is horrible. That might be the worst thing I've seen in this forum. Pining for "the good ol' days."

Those policies didn't allow people to ever move up in class or society. They perpetually kept people in a cycle of misery, drugs, crappy jobs, crappy living situations, crappy schools, etc.

Some of the policies that were put into effect after the civil rights reforms in the sixties were probably not the best in hindsight, and perhaps could have been carried out more slowly with less forcefeeding but to want to go back to having racial restrictions is preposterous.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Those policies didn't allow people to ever move up in class or society. They perpetually kept people in a cycle of misery, drugs, crappy jobs, crappy living situations, crappy schools, etc.
Yep. The attitudes that made Great Britain what it is today.

A former superpower.

These people out here...their narrow mindedness and xenophobia keep them focused on nonsense like "illegal apartments"...while the local political stalagmites steal them blind.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,618,948 times
My neighborhood has gotten so much nicer in the 3 years since we moved to the Bronx, and crime has continued to drop. We're a middle class family who couldn't afford homeownership elsewhere in NYC. I personally know several middle class families who have moved here, some with homeownership programs from the city. Many middle class people are moving out of the city because they can't afford it. When your choice for owning a home is either the Bronx or Pennsylvania (or somewhere similiarly far away), the Bronx seems pretty good. There are so many nice hardworking people living here. As long as NYC continues to thrive, the Bronx will continue to improve. I would hope that police officers would be committed to improving all areas of the city, but to hear one what labels whole sections of this borough and others lost causes due to "minorities" and despite obvious evidence to the contrary, truly saddens me.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I would hope that police officers would be committed to improving all areas of the city, but to hear one what labels whole sections of this borough and others lost causes due to "minorities" and despite obvious evidence to the contrary, truly saddens me.
I would hope so, too.

I live with a New York City police officer. (He's my girlfriends brother) He does a job that subjects him to impossible pressures...for a police department that stands 38th, among major cities, in starting pay.

No, I don't like some of the things the police do, or say. But, they are frequently lightning rods for public indignation that would more properly be placed elsewhere, if people were a little more insightful.

For example, the Central Park Jogger defendants. The ones that were cleared years later via DNA? People shouldn't blame the police because they were arrested. They might have been acquitted, had not the District Attorney in the case blown a lot of pseudo-scientific smoke about "incontrovertable" fiber evidence...that wound up being wrong. Whoever that person was....they should have been brought up on charges of legal malpractice. Just as the DA down South is being held to account for his prosecution of those Duke University "rapists."

That's politics. That sucks.

My...(well, if me n my g/f were married, he'd be my brother in law )...he likes it out here. He uses the 'n' word a lot. It makes me wince. But I do not let out a peep. To go in fear of your life for a second class salary blinds one's reason. If not for that he might see that those people are really some of the best potential allies that individualistic Americans have; that they will not go along to get along...that is perhaps why they get in trouble so often. Hell, if I was down there in their shoes, instead of by the grace of God having been born into the middle class, I'd probably be selling crack, too.

Or, perhaps, getting my tail shot off in Iraq...so's burboids can have cheap gas. These characters out here would swear blind that the sun revolved around the earth, as long as the cable TV stayed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City