U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,977,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
My neighborhood has gotten so much nicer in the 3 years since we moved to the Bronx, and crime has continued to drop. We're a middle class family who couldn't afford homeownership elsewhere in NYC. I personally know several middle class families who have moved here, some with homeownership programs from the city. Many middle class people are moving out of the city because they can't afford it. When your choice for owning a home is either the Bronx or Pennsylvania (or somewhere similiarly far away), the Bronx seems pretty good. There are so many nice hardworking people living here. As long as NYC continues to thrive, the Bronx will continue to improve. I would hope that police officers would be committed to improving all areas of the city, but to hear one what labels whole sections of this borough and others lost causes due to "minorities" and despite obvious evidence to the contrary, truly saddens me.
But it hasn't. 10 years ago that area was a whole lot better. Back in the late 80's the buildings on Moshulo Parkway were beutiful. The area south of Bedford Park Blvd (Fordham) was horrible but not much leaked north of that. Moshulo Parkway and up was a White working class area. Small lower income immigrants but not significant numbers. Mostly Puerto Ricans but also Dominicans. Now today. Today much of the White working class population is gone and in are TONS of low income/poor Dominicans. Taking any conditions as slumlords take advantage. Only some of the homes in the area are still working class White (north of moshulo) but this is changing. It's not a racial thing, it's economic and that a area is worse then it's ever been.

I am not saying areas are lost becuase of minorities. I grew up in one of the ****test blocks in the Bronx. Still live in a horrible area (although I am moving soon). Still work in a horrible area. It's economics. Formally working class areas becoming slums as it has been for years now.These areas are lost due to corruption, problems the city has been dealing with for many years. it's a disaster that will catch up with up in time. As the gap between rich and poor widens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,379,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
My...(well, if me n my g/f were married, he'd be my brother in law )...he likes it out here. He uses the 'n' word a lot. It makes me wince. But I do not let out a peep. To go in fear of your life for a second class salary blinds one's reason.
Perhaps because their contact is mainly with the worst of the community, some police begin to paint everyone with the same brush, and lose sight of the decent, hard-working people who are trying to improve their neighborhood for themselves and their children. Not everyone has the option of moving somewhere else and need the police to be their allies, not their zookeepers. An attitude of condesention towards a whole race or class of people makes this impossible.

I've been hearing this doomsaying for years. Inwood also used to be full of Irish. When I moved in, I heard from some the same "white flight" bull****, because the Irish had left. Inwood is now so expensive that I can't even afford it. When I lived in the west 50's we had a drug dealer on the corner and when he went to jail another one would come take his place. Way more obvious crime than where I live now. If I had crystal ball I could tell you for certain the future of my city, borough and neighborhood. Short of that its all a matter of opinion. Only time will tell.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM

67 posts, read 327,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Just looking for opinions. Does anyone think that BX will become all white and gentrified like the rest of NYC in the near future?
Not all white... There are reports that Queens is the most ethnically diverse county in the United States. That probably makes up more or less for the whole borough. I think the BX will become more like Brooklyn. When I was kid, nobody wanted to move to Brooklyn. Things have changed in the past 20 years.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,977,301 times
Quote:
Perhaps because their contact is mainly with the worst of the community, some police begin to paint everyone with the same brush, and lose sight of the decent, hard-working people who are trying to improve their neighborhood for themselves and their children. Not everyone has the option of moving somewhere else and need the police to be their allies, not their zookeepers. An attitude of condesention towards a whole race or class of people makes this impossible.

I've been hearing this doomsaying for years. Inwood also used to be full of Irish. When I moved in, I heard from some the same "white flight" bull****, because the Irish had left. Inwood is now so expensive that I can't even afford it. When I lived in the west 50's we had a drug dealer on the corner and when he went to jail another one would come take his place. Way more obvious crime than where I live now. If I had crystal ball I could tell you for certain the future of my city, borough and neighborhood. Short of that its all a matter of opinion. Only time will tell.
Just becuase you don't know what street activity goes on where you live does not mean it doesn't exist. The average person has no clue about the bull**** that goes on in these areas. Unless they are security, police, street people, or the criminals themselves. 204th Street has significant drug activity right around the precinct, off Webster. bainbridge, decatur, hull, gun hill road, tracy towers. I never worked the area but I have traveled there many times and seen the drug dealing myself. youths in front of buildings 24/7 selling crack, weed and heroine all day long. switch the radio to the 52/47 and you hear the bull**** chatter on the radio all day. Robberies to shootings.

Don't say police don't understand the average person, we just see the bull**** and reality first hand. You have no idea how ****ed up people can be and they could live right next door. If you don't see it and nothing bad has happened, good for you.

Blame NYC, blame racism, blame the gov't for what happened to the Bronx.

Last edited by Hustla718; 05-15-2007 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM

319 posts, read 355,444 times
We need some violence in NYC. You know... to lower the rents...

Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 PM

359 posts, read 2,396,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
......Amen

Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM

259 posts, read 853,073 times
Quote:
I can't believe people are pining for the days of racial restrictions in real estate and renting. Those policies didn't allow people to ever move up in class or society. They perpetually kept people in a cycle of misery, drugs, crappy jobs, crappy living situations, crappy schools, etc.
Sorry but you are mistaken! The Neighborhood improvement act of the 1920's propagated middle class home ownership! The improvement act permitted people to move out of overcrowed tenement housing into better housing in new neighborhoods which had better schools, municipal services less crime and the like! Furthemore the Improvement act permitted others to occupy vacant housing whenever there was overabundancy of construction! Haarlem and the South Bronx (Sedwyck) were such places! And the whole World saw what happen to those areas!oh my goodness!!!!!You can watch many movies about it!!

Quote:

[+] Rate this post positively
Seeeee!!!! These subtle income requirement guidelines that are in place to achieve regentrification have had a greater deleterious effect on Race Relations, class animosity and Morality than former Racial restrictions of neighborhood improvement acts!!!

Last edited by Dee62; 05-15-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM

58 posts, read 385,091 times
Default Where will the Bronx be?

As someone born, and raised (1952) in the Bronx, and as a retired member NYPD who worked his whole career in the Bronx starting in 1983 I can tell you that the borough will not ever become predominately white again with the #1 reason being the public schools.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,185,792 times
Quote:

Yes, of course.

But, like all of us, the police are only human. Some people who, under normal circumstances, would have lead blameless lives, committed unspeakable atrocities in Vietnam.

But for the grace of God, there go I.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM

975 posts, read 3,380,177 times
No I don't think it will become like the other boroughs. In the years I've been living here some new chain stores (Applebee, Target) have opened but other than that I've seen very little change in the Bronx. I think it's too long of a subway ride to Manhattan for the average gentrifier to be interested in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or