U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,184,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
No I don't think it will become like the other boroughs. In the years I've been living here some new chain stores (Applebee, Target) have opened but other than that I've seen very little change in the Bronx. I think it's too long of a subway ride to Manhattan for the average gentrifier to be interested in it.
GOOD!

Yuppie repellant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 AM

19,159 posts, read 32,695,448 times
the bronx will be the only place left in nyc where a middle class income family can buy a house.....i dont see gentrification happening, too much public housing.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM

98 posts, read 340,104 times
I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block
Used to have a little now I have a lot
No matter where I go I know where I came from
(From the Bronx)

Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,107,763 times
Hmm...this post is back from the dead! Gentrification is NOT happening in the Bronx..it is a REVITALIZATION that is occuring...and it is turning the Bronx back into the borough of choice for middle/working class people of the city..the backbone of the city.

Whereas all other boroughs pride themselves on exclusion,and exorbitant prices..the Bronx is taking the other route...retuirning to the Borough of INCLUSION..where there is room for everyone. The Bronx's future is one of welcoming everyone....

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,825,526 times
^I hope it stays like that. That is what they said when they started revitalizing Harlem and Washington Heights 20 years ago. Look where we are at now.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM

I cannot speak for the plans that were made for the revitalization of Harlem and Washington Heights 20 years, however the Bronx 20 years ago was slated for rampant gentrification...but the community rallied to stop it.

The Bronx, and Mott Haven, Melrose, and Concourse, are becoming the future of arrodable housing for the middle/working class of the city...as well as transplants from within the city as well as nationally. The Bronx is being repositioned back to what is always was...the affordable choice for the city...with the greenery, parks, housing, and amenities along with that.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,084,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I cannot speak for the plans that were made for the revitalization of Harlem and Washington Heights 20 years, however the Bronx 20 years ago was slated for rampant gentrification...but the community rallied to stop it.

The Bronx, and Mott Haven, Melrose, and Concourse, are becoming the future of arrodable housing for the middle/working class of the city...as well as transplants from within the city as well as nationally. The Bronx is being repositioned back to what is always was...the affordable choice for the city...with the greenery, parks, housing, and amenities along with that.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I have to agree with you Guy, but, your saying the affordable choice of the city.......I was reading the Riverdale Press, which covers most of Riverdale in the NW Bronx, and rents I believe are out of hand, $1,400/$1,575 for a studio
two bedrooms $1,800/to $2,900. I don't know how the average Bronxite can afford rents like this, along with food, clothing,medical,transportation. It boggles my mind. I'm glad that there are sections of the Bronx that are coming back, where people can live in peace. I was tickled pink when The Paradise was bought and brought back to life, I have fond memories of seeing rock n roll shows there, my crush of the month was a member of Dickie Doo and the Don'ts, being on stage with a raising group at the time was a big thrill for me. Nothng would make me happier then to be able to ride into the Bronx and take a walk down memory lane, unfortunately my area is still considered not the greatest. But hopefully one day I can go back and sit on the stoop of my former home and close my eyes and go back in time for just a moment or two and remember what it was like growing up in the Bronx of yesterday.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Yes Songbird...that is not to say that EVERY part of the Bronx will be a middle class paradise...there will still be some areas that will be exclusionary, like small sections of Riverdale, however OVERALL, the Bronx is repositioning itself, and the private and government investments, are moving towards returning the Bronx back to its original purpose...as an affordable enclave for the city.

Much of the large scale development happening is to serve the new middle/working class moving into the new affordable housing, as well as those buying homes from other parts of the city due to the sheer moderate cost throughout the borough.

If you are looking for yuppified, million dollar 1 bedroom condos and starbucks on every corner, then the Bronx is not for you. If you are looking for a solid middle/working class community, with lots of large new/rehabbed housing stock, mainstream amenities, proximity to the city, and an affordable housing stock..the the Bronx WILL be the choice for within the next few years.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 AM

3,064 posts, read 6,138,131 times
The couple that bought the mansion in East Tremont........

When the signs are right in front of you........

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,084,515 times
I believe that The Bronx was always a working class borough, back in the 50's 60's nearly everyone was middle class, I can only speak about the areas I knew about Fordham Rd. to 183rd St. People went to work everyday, kids went to school, people had cars, some did not. Many of the local businesses
were run by hard workng people that would work 6 days a week, some even 7 days a week. They built Bronx roads, built house, served food to people, cleaned homes/resident hotels, they worked for Con Ed or Ma Bell and all wanted to better themselves and give their children more. Its been the same for every generation, wanting more for themselves and their families.

I've read about all the new building that's going on in The Bronx and its wonderful, great, but can a middleclass working Bronxite be able to afford to live in these new buildings? Maybe yes, maybe no. Economics have greatly changed since the 60's 70's and 80's, I believe that the middleclass will disappear eventually, it will be the well off or the poor. Unfortunately, I think there are more poor in The Bronx, then the well off, they will continue to struggle because that's all they know and they will be happy to have a roof over their head and will continue to work hard just like those before them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or