U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,108,544 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the area JTS2003. I think you will be very happy here...and no doubt you will work hard to make the area even better!

SuperWario, I think the building is a long overdue addition to the community, however it is true that few will be able to afford to live there. However, this is the only way to solve the middle class housing crisis in this city PLUS integrate/diversify these communities with a mix of people/incomes, as well as provide a stepping stone for those who CAN afford this but oftentimes must leave the area in order to climb the ladder. The community sorely needs this..I welcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 PM

48 posts, read 132,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts2003 View Post
I have noticed that everyone who is talking trash about the Bronx is doing so because they want to the rents to stay low; they want the crime to stay high so they can keep affording to live there. They don’t want gentrification in the Bronx because they will be the ones forced out by it. Well the secrets out! From my new South Bronx condo, I am 5 train stops away from my job in mid-town. I am from parkchester, and as a child when I visited the south Bronx, never did I think I would live here. But it has dramatically changed since childhood and I love being here.
New york state is one of two states that are losing population . Out of all of the bouroughs the bronx has the fastest growing population . The more blue collar middle class queens is the only area in new york city losing population . Obviously there is some reason why the rest of new york state is losing massive amounts of people . Yet the bronx is fast growing .

- In 50 years i think many of the previous ghettos of the bronx will be middle class . I think in 50 years the slums of new york city will all end up moving out . Too places such as Elizabeth New jersey - Paterson nj - Free Port - Newburgh - Poughkeepsie - Middle town - Yonkers -Waterbury ct - New haven ct Bridgeport ct . I think the slums of nyc will mostly be in strung out isolated small urban areas about 1 - 2 hours away from manhatten in the future .

The new gas crisis will most likely be a major issue too draw many people back too the city . Bloom burgh wants too charge extra tax on gas . He is not stupid! He knows the higher gas is in new york state the better and better nyc will do and more people new york city will come back .

The affordable rents will end up being in strung out areas like poughkeepsie where they become very undesirable because of the low acess too new york . Thus pushing the slums outward .

Last edited by Existtoexit; 06-27-2008 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM

901 posts, read 2,611,582 times
New York City will lose many middle class people in the near future. As a matter of fact, it's happening already. The city already has problems retaining teachers due to the high cost of living. Many city jobs still pay about 25-35K a year. Where are people suppossed to live making that kind of money? Even a two income house making 60K would have a hard time raising a family in NYC. Homeownership is almost impossible for most of the middle class in NYC. Who is going to keep the city going in the future?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM

3,065 posts, read 6,139,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existtoexit View Post
New york state is one of two states that are losing population . Out of all of the bouroughs the bronx has the fastest growing population . The more blue collar middle class queens is the only area in new york city losing population . Obviously there is some reason why the rest of new york state is losing massive amounts of people . Yet the bronx is fast growing .
Let's see. I know at least 5 people who have moved up to the Bronx within the past year. Three have rented in Parkchester, and two have bought homes in Castle Hill/Unionport. And I didn't include myself in the five people.

The prices of the homes in Parkchester are still dirt cheap for New York, that is! (name me any other place in NY where you would get a $160K 2BR condo!). But even with the folk who have moved to the Bronx and took the chance, there are many who are still scared of the rep! And for those who get locked out due to the fear, I'll say this......It ain't whitey's fault!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,130,491 times
Quote:
What's the second state?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
...On the other hand, fear is part of what keeps the prices low. If enough people start to think of The Bronx as someplace desirable, watch housing prices skyrocket. It's a very delicate balance, but I think that in the long run, desirability is going to win out over fear. It happened in Williamsburg, it's happening in Bushwick, and The Bronx won't be far behind.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM

841 posts, read 3,928,978 times
Quote:
The more blue collar middle class queens is the only area in new york city losing population . Obviously there is some reason why the rest of new york state is losing massive amounts of people . Yet the bronx is fast growing .
Who said Queens was losing population?? It is PACKED

Quote:
- In 50 years i think many of the previous ghettos of the bronx will be middle class . I think in 50 years the slums of new york city will all end up moving out . Too places such as Elizabeth New jersey - Paterson nj - Free Port - Newburgh - Poughkeepsie - Middle town - Yonkers -Waterbury ct - New haven ct Bridgeport ct . I think the slums of nyc will mostly be in strung out isolated small urban areas about 1 - 2 hours away from manhatten in the future .
I thought so too, but who's gonna do the all blue collar jobs? Where are they gonna live? No way the entire city becomes void of the middle class. How about all the projects? It will always be mixed. That's just how things work, you need everyone from both ends of the spectrum

Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM

3,065 posts, read 6,139,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...On the other hand, fear is part of what keeps the prices low. If enough people start to think of The Bronx as someplace desirable, watch housing prices skyrocket. It's a very delicate balance, but I think that in the long run, desirability is going to win out over fear. It happened in Williamsburg, it's happening in Bushwick, and The Bronx won't be far behind.
The Rule of affordability always stands.....When a neighborhood has arrived, it's too late!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,108,544 times
Well with some of us with a little longer memory, the "middle class" has been fleeing for the past 40 years quite honestly. This is not something new or unique, the city has been losing this class since the 50s, and there was a huge upheavel in the 70s where the city lost hundreds of thousands of middle class people in just a few years. And yet...the city survived and today it is flourishing.

What is the moral of the story? Don't believe all the hype! Nobody knows where the Bronx will be in 10 years..so forget about forecasting 50. Who knew in the 50s that 10 years later there would be virtually no white people left in the south Bronx? None. Who knew 10 years after that that the south bronx would be a warzone, burnt, and abandoned? None.

Point is...right now the Bronx is being pulled in many different directions. There is a repositioning of the borough as a working/middle class enclave (especially the South Bronx), however there are also luxury developments entering the market, market rate 3 family homes for $650,000, affordable housing, a fair emount of empty lots that can be turned developed into anything, as well as the inevitable transformation of the housing projects into something else besides the exclusive domain of the destitute.

In 2-3 years from now, however, we can say that the Yankee Stadium redevelopment zone will be complete, bringing with it a completely transformed area, with a new waterfront park, bike trails, housing, major retail and restaurants, and a new Metro-North Station. In addition, we know that just east of Yankee stadium, in Melrose, there will be a new University, as well as a large development of "green" affordable housing and market rate housing, including significant green space, parks, and plaza, and with that will be more retail, restaurants, and amenities to serve this new working/middle class population.

Further east towards Hunts Point, we also know that more parks along the Bronx RIver parkway will be online, and the greenway will be enlarged. There will likely be the completion of the Bank Note building in Hunts Point, with new artist space, gourmet food market, and community areas. And of course, the greening of the Bronx is leading the city, with trees and greenspace being created largely in the South Bronx..easily twice as green as it is today.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:14 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
What's really surprising is that anyone is surprised about neighborhoods changing. There's not a single neighborhood anywhere in New York City that has ever been static. They're always changing. Large areas of Brooklyn and The Bronx that people now offhandedly call "ghettos" were middle class, Jewish neighborhoods 50 years ago. So now they're changing again? Big deal; everyone should've been expecting it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or