Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,131 times

Advertisements

I have been following this board for a few months and have found a lot of information. I am planning on moving in less than a year. For the past 10 years I have worked as a civil engineer in the southeast and should have a NY PE license within a few months. I was just wondering if someone experienced in this field could tell me how the job market is. I have been searching jobs online but I want to get a feel for how difficult it might be to find a job without any New York contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabouliOnToast View Post
I have been following this board for a few months and have found a lot of information. I am planning on moving in less than a year. For the past 10 years I have worked as a civil engineer in the southeast and should have a NY PE license within a few months. I was just wondering if someone experienced in this field could tell me how the job market is. I have been searching jobs online but I want to get a feel for how difficult it might be to find a job without any New York contacts.
Get a headhunter and you'll be fine.

But why NYC?

In most cities, an engineer with 10 years' experience makes a good living relative to everyone else.

In NYC, your standard of living would be the equivalent of lower middle class.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 10,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Get a headhunter and you'll be fine.

But why NYC?

In most cities, an engineer with 10 years' experience makes a good living relative to everyone else.

In NYC, your standard of living would be the equivalent of lower middle class.
I disagree, I think an engineer with 10 years experience in this city is making a better living than lower middle wages. Your talking about like 30grand/year, surely an engineer with 10 years experience makes more than that.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia. View Post
I disagree, I think an engineer with 10 years experience in this city is making a better living than lower middle wages. Your talking about like 30grand/year, surely an engineer with 10 years experience makes more than that.
Engineer in Manhattan = lower middle class = lives in a studio apartment (assuming he can afford $2200/mo. to rent or $500,000 to buy); watches his budget like a hawk.

Engineer in most other places = pushing upper middle class = rents a luxury apartment or owns a 3-4 bedroom house; plenty of disposable income left to spend on plasma TVs, high end toys, BMWs, vacations, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM

101 posts, read 300,712 times
Ahhh but what's a "luxury apartment or a 3-4 bedroom house; plenty of disposable income left to spend on plasma TVs, high end toys, BMWs, vacations, etc"

compared to the greatest city on earth at your fingertips. And what makes this the greatest city is very individual. For me, its walkability, fresh food/produce, diversity of cultures/opinions - and the tolerance that goes along with that, on and on.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
Maybe he can also try going to Northern California, particularly Silicon Valley, where engineers are at the very top of the food chain of professionals in the area and make more than everyone else.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Ahhh but what's a "luxury apartment or a 3-4 bedroom house; plenty of disposable income left to spend on plasma TVs, high end toys, BMWs, vacations, etc"

compared to the greatest city on earth at your fingertips. And what makes this the greatest city is very individual. For me, its walkability, fresh food/produce, diversity of cultures/opinions - and the tolerance that goes along with that, on and on.

Oh please, stop with the "greatest city on earth" line.

NYC hype is a product of all the PR/media/ad/publishing companies based in Manhattan.

1. NYC is not just Manhattan. Most of NYC is unwalkable. Ever try crossing Queens Blvd??? There are plenty of other walkable cities.

2. Plenty of other cities have fresh food.

3. Diversity is a JOKE in NYC. Ever heard of NYPD or FDNY? Or Al Sharpton?

If you are white, try walking in certain places of the Upper Manhattan, Bronx or Brooklyn. If you are black, try walking in certain places of Staten Island or Brooklyn.

The "diversity" line is just NYC hype spouted by whites tucked safely in their Manhattan apartments that price out minorities, and minorities who think their ghetto is the greatest.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
1. NYC is not just Manhattan. Most of NYC is unwalkable. Ever try crossing Queens Blvd??? There are plenty of other walkable cities.
I stopped taking you seriously there. Crossing Queens Blvd. has nothing to do with the city being walkable at night, and yes, I have crossed it, and you don't need a car to go from street light to street light.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I stopped taking you seriously there. Crossing Queens Blvd. has nothing to do with the city being walkable at night, and yes, I have crossed it, and you don't need a car to go from street light to street light.
You should cross Queens Blvd more often at night. Make sure to wear dark clothes.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM

101 posts, read 300,712 times
I can only attest to my experience of living in the suburbs all my life both Ohio and Florida - yeah I know you hate my living in NYC now (actually Brooklyn). I grew weary of:
driving to work
shopping at walmart
missing all the independent films
not seeing live music or theater
NEVER seing anything even remotely like the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island.
(No way would anything like that be tolerated in my little towns)
I mentioned diversity of opinions and the tolerance of of diversity
One small farmers market within 5 hrs (I live in the south) and they are struggling
Restaurants? One or two independents that fail every few years since everybody prefers Red Lobster
Bread? Only from the gigantic grocery chain
heirloom tomatoes? Not here
Yes, there are walkable cities - I felt too old for Portland, too far away for San Francisco, not hip enough for Eugene - I've checked out a few.
Plus everybody wants to visit and they can fly in without having to change planes in Atlanta.
so yes, to me nyC (actually Brooklyn) is the greatest city.
Maybe you too spoiled to know what its like for majority of Americans Ace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: