Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM

20 posts, read 107,966 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to NYC next month for a little excursion and would like to visit all kinds of places off the beaten paths to get some pictures and whatever. I'm a Canadian, pretty much a white man in his late 20s, and I have little to no experience with venturing in big American cities(Haven't been to NYC in 11 years and this time there will be no parents ).

I've been studying NYC for a few weeks now, I pretty much know where all the neighbourhoods are and what they're about, but really, if I go to some place like East New York in the morning or early afternoon on foot, it's not as dangerous as people make it sound like right? I know it's where the projects are and all that shady stuff but it's not the wild wild west or anything? Or do I absolutely need to avoid certain areas because of my skin colour and class all together? I know there's always a risk involved, but if simply setting foot in these areas is asking for too much trouble I'd just like to know.

Also, I definitely want to visit specifically Fulton St and Norwood area in Brooklyn and walk under the J-Z subway line that runs along there. Also I could stop off to grab a beer or whatever.

I know I might sound kind of silly to the more experienced New Yorkers out there, but any advice on treading through New York's less visited areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
This is not a good idea.

Why would you go into a neighborhood where you have no business carrying a camera ? Just to gawk?

It's not so much that you might be white but the way you carry yourself and the perception that you project to the people in the neighborhood.I don't think you will be able to pull it off in East New york with your limited NY experience...

And you better go back and study up on NY a little more before you get here because Norwood is in The Bronx,not in Brooklyn.

There are plenty of "off the beaten path" neighborhoods for you to explore but I don't think it's a good idea for East New York to be one of them.

Just one opinion.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
East New York is the last place in the city you want to visit go to a safer area that still has that ghetto feel like Coney Island or Red hook but not east new york.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is not a good idea.

Why would you go into a neighborhood where you have no business carrying a camera ? Just to gawk?

It's not so much that you might be white but the way you carry yourself and the perception that you project to the people in the neighborhood.I don't think you will be able to pull it off in East New york with your limited NY experience...

And you better go back and study up on NY a little more before you get here because Norwood is in The Bronx,not in Brooklyn.

There are plenty of "off the beaten path" neighborhoods for you to explore but I don't think it's a good idea for East New York to be one of them.

Just one opinion.
Please, don't get the wrong idea, I'm not going any where to gawk at people. I'm pretty good at minding my own business. I'd really like to get some unique pictures of the urban landscape however. Also, I don't think I'm very confused about the geography, there is infact a Norwood station in Brooklyn and this is what I was refering to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwood..._Jamaica_Line)

But thanks for you insight.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM

196 posts, read 779,291 times
There is a Norwood ave staion which is the area of Cypress Hills.That area is not as bad as ENY but I would not go around taking photos.There's a good spanish resturant on Fulton and Logan you've got to try,they have great food and you can grab a beer.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 PM

93 posts, read 290,365 times
Where is it in the East that you want to visit? Do you know the specific street or avenue names?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm thinking I could just settle for the commercial area on Fulton St near Norwood Ave station which is closer to Cypress Hills. I don't think I'll actually be going deep into any residential streets in that area and especially further south into ENY proper. There's a mural on Euclid Ave just a few steps south of Fulton St that interests me. I'm not the kind of guy that likes to walk around with a 'tourist' sign on his back and can be very discreet with my camera.

Thanks for the tip about that Spanish restaurant, I'll be sure to check it out if I get the chance.

My main concern is knowing if my mere presence there in the daytime would seriously raise any eyebrows? And would going on a day when I'm wearing my suit be a big problem, or should I definitely make sure I'm wearing something like a hoody? Or am I just asking to get jumped regardless? lol

Excuse my ignorance and thanks for the insight all.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Don't know why you want to go to East New York, not only is it a bad neighborhood, but there's nothing there. It's a complete dump. At least Bedstuy has those Brownstones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is not a good idea.

He's refering to Norwood Avenue, which is a side street in East New York.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM

93 posts, read 290,365 times
Ther are A Lot of Mormans out there. You know; the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints people. They are there in full force. They are not carring cameras but I have never ever heard of them getting jumped. They wear suits (tight ones) but no hoodies. Gateway mall, which is an outside strip mall; if you will; has Target, Home Depot, BJ's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, a steak house, Marshal's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples and a Babies R Us. Additionally, Starett City (which is sooooo very ghetto and hood) is within walking distance from Gateway, all of these places are in East NY (the east) 11207. So please, Torontonian please take this as a prime examples of why you cannot believe everything you read on this topic. Starett City is a rather tall and large apartment complex that is home to a lot of Jews and Russians. East NY is the next Harlem.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCenteno View Post
Ther are A Lot of Mormans out there. You know; the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints people. They are there in full force. They are not carring cameras but I have never ever heard of them getting jumped. They wear suits (tight ones) but no hoodies. Gateway mall, which is an outside strip mall; if you will; has Target, Home Depot, BJ's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, a steak house, Marshal's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples and a Babies R Us. Additionally, Starett City (which is sooooo very ghetto and hood) is within walking distance from Gateway, all of these places are in East NY (the east) 11207. So please, Torontonian please take this as a prime examples of why you cannot believe everything you read on this topic. Starett City is a rather tall and large apartment complex that is home to a lot of Jews and Russians. East NY is the next Harlem.

Come on. Starrett City and Gateway mall are about 3 miles from where the guy wants to go, so they have nothing to do with it. Harlem has (1) proximity to midtown and Central Park; (2) multiple subway lines; (3) good architecture; (4) history. ENY doesn't have any of those things and it's not the "next Harlem." ENY feels like Brooklyn got tired and stopped even trying to look nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City