U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times

Advertisements

I agree with quelinda that a toll to get from the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn to Manhattan is not right. What would be a nice thing to have is that the EZ Pass uses the residential address to which the vehicle is registered as a basis for the toll, so that those who live in the city and need to drive for whatever reason are not subject to what is tantamount to an extra tax.

It's a sneaky way to try to get the congestion tax into the city after it was uniformly rejected. And, it's part of the administration's all-out assault on the motor vehicle, what with narrowed roadways, pedestrianization schemes, and bike lanes that could accommodate the Tour de France, but woe to a fire engine that might need an extra couple of inches on Grand Street. Don't misunderstand, I do like some of these features, especially when I am walking, which I do much of the time, as the subway is not a favorite mode of travel.

There are people who live in Manhattan who need to drive for many reasons, and putting up more tolls is going to be an extra burden on residents when attempting to return home from an outer borough, Long Island, or Westchester. Just look at the Hudson River crossings for what could soon be coming to the other crossings.

Perhaps a better way to do this is to add an excise tax for all vehicles that are parked in Manhattan on a daily basis. Places of employment, parking garages with monthly contracts, etc. know which cars are coming into the city that are from out of the area, if this is truly designed to discourage vehicles from entering Manhattan from out of the city as they know to whom to send the bill or whom gets the fringe benefit of paid parking. Simply put, if the residential address is out of the city, then they pay the extra tax. And, day parkers pay the tax and if they reside in the city, apply for refund like one does with VAT in Britain as a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM

133 posts, read 415,666 times
It is sad to see how many people on this thread do not appear to understand how MTA funding works. Many people I've talked to think it is a for profit business.

If people in the city write upstate state legislatures and threaten to fund their opponents you will see money flow from Albany to the MTA to reduce the fare increase.

This is a political move by the MTA to get people mad at Albany in order to get bailout funds.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
This is a political move by the MTA to get people mad at Albany in order to get bailout funds.
It most certainly is not. This would have happened regardless of what was going on in the national economy. In fact, President Obama set aside almost $1 billion specifically for MTA--however, that money is for maintenance and construction, and cannot be used for budgetary concerns.

The bottom line is that MTA simply is not as accountable as it ought to be. City Comptroller Thompson does what he can, but he's up against a rather impenetrable wall known as Albany. Ultimately, it's the Governor who has final responsibility for MTA. He's the one to bombard with mail.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM

6,979 posts, read 15,130,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
103$ Monthly MetroCard! AMAZING!!! At a time when people are struggling to make ends meet....UGH!!!

People think AIG is corrupt, MTA Takes the Cake!!!!
MTA Approves Doomsday Budget - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/mta.doomsday.budget.2.967225.html - broken link)

I mean is there no-one to look out for the PEOPLE --- Corruption EVERYWHERE!

*****Here is the official Outline from the MTA site*******
http://mta.info/mta/09/overview.html
The money collected for fairs was/is not enough to keep public transit functioning properly. That goes for most places in America, mass transit is heavily subsidized. With that said I am sure these places are probably run like kindergartens much like high education institutions have been for the last few decades. Reforms are needed.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM

106 posts, read 323,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
The money collected for fairs was/is not enough to keep public transit functioning properly. That goes for most places in America, mass transit is heavily subsidized. With that said I am sure these places are probably run like kindergartens much like high education institutions have been for the last few decades. Reforms are needed.
The MTA gambled their money away. How come everybody's so sympathetic? They got greedy. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/bu...pagewanted=all

Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Actually, I believe that New Yorkers pay something like 60% of the actual cost of a fare. This is a higher percentage than people pay in any other city. It's still heavily subsidized, but we happen to pay more of the cost here!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM

6,979 posts, read 15,130,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, I believe that New Yorkers pay something like 60% of the actual cost of a fare. This is a higher percentage than people pay in any other city. It's still heavily subsidized, but we happen to pay more of the cost here!
errr and so what is the point of your statement then? I said it was subsidized, it is. They need to cover the expenses given today's economic realities. Now as I said, I am sure capital expenses could be lowered by running a more efficient ship, but it is what it is. Nothing in life is free my friend. We have had 30 yrs of living above our means, that day is over.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,070 times
The MTA finalized plans to cancel service to the Belmont Park. This station was one of the first to be electrified in the early 1900's. My favorite station on the LIRR will sit idle for the foreseeable future. There will be nearby service to the Queens Village Station but there is still a half mile trek to the track. Perhaps NYRA will arrange for buses to shuttle riders from this train station to Belmont.

As a local taxpayer and dedicated horseplayer it is sad that $1.8 billion of my taxes (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06122008/news/regionalnews/_hungry_yankees_play_gall_115147.htm - broken link)have gone to construct a new Yankee Stadium and Mets Stadium yet they canceled the train to the best stadium of them all. I hope the ballfans enjoy spending $500 watching their favorite steroid fueled meathead chase balls and I hope they cheer really loud when the PA system tells them to.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 12,206 times
I hope that Gov. Patersons office will come up with some freakin plan so they wont spike fares. Come on i'm moving to NYC dont raise the fares

Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,122,354 times
Does this mean they MTA will have the resources to clean up all the urine which gets spilled onto its subway cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City