U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,317,186 times

Advertisements

103$ Monthly MetroCard! AMAZING!!! At a time when people are struggling to make ends meet....UGH!!!

People think AIG is corrupt, MTA Takes the Cake!!!!
MTA Approves Doomsday Budget - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/mta.doomsday.budget.2.967225.html - broken link)

I mean is there no-one to look out for the PEOPLE --- Corruption EVERYWHERE!

*****Here is the official Outline from the MTA site*******
http://mta.info/mta/09/overview.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM

20,113 posts, read 21,729,745 times
The MTA's books have been under quite a bit of scrutiny, and so far it doesn't look like there's anything particularly crooked. It's more issues with efficiency, underfunding from the government, and perhaps, undercharging for its services. Of course, I'd rather they take care of the first two before they do the last.

So yea, I don't think it's particularly useful to start slamming the MTA when they're trying to plead for more funding.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
This is the usual whining from city residents. With an unlimited Metro card going to $103 per month, your commute @ 40 trips per month is about $2.50 per ride, and of course if you use it more than that (and I think alot of us do) that $2.50 per ride decreases. Right now we are paying $2.00 per ride...so people it's not that serious. In fact, it is still very affordable, and if the extra $20 is gonna break you or put you over the financial edge, well you already had much bigger problems that had nothing to do with the MTA. I agree with the above poster, however, in that we could probably decrease the fare if only the fat was cut..of course that does not happen...something like 2/3 of revenue to the MTA goes to salaries, overtime, benefits, and pensions...that is a ridiculous amount and clearly something needs to be done about that..of course that isn't happening either. So although I agree that the $103 unlimted metrocard is still a great deal, I recognize that the real underlying problems of a bloated, inefficient, wasteful system has not changed and is getting worse...the question is..who has the power to force the fundamental changes necessary on the MTA?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM

90 posts, read 379,672 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that $103 per month for a metro card isn't a good deal at all. In fact, combined with the service cut backs, it severely lessens the benefit of taking the subway for people who live on Manhattan within a few miles of where they work. For some people it might still make sense, but I don't think so for me.

I've been thinking about this pretty intently since the last "bash those who hate fare increases" thread. While the subway is convenient, I'm pretty firmly in the camp that the new unlimited card isn't a deal for most people. From where I live to work (southern Harlem to Midtown) is 3.5 miles give or take. It takes about 30 minutes by subway (not counting delays caused by potential service cuts) or an hour walking (Google maps might be underestimating, but it's probably about right given that it's along the park).

The subway cuts the travel time in half, but still costs $2.50 to take me 3 freaking miles. BUT! (You say) Taking a taxi would be much more expensive!

Yes, at $12 each way (that includes tip), taking a taxi on my own would be more expensive. If you got 4 people into a taxi, the trip would be $3 each. If you got a taxi van and filled it with 5 or 6 people, the cost is nearly even. I'm not saying that arranging some sort of taxi pool with my neighbors is feasible, but I think it's kind of sad when mass transit can't move me and my neighbors for much less than the cost of grouping together in a cab.

Another comparison...the federal reimbursement rate for use of a personal car on government time is 58.5 cents per mile. That's about $2 per drive (and that rate is supposed to take into account both gasoline and wear to the car's value).

BUT! You say. What about those people who ARE commuting from far away. To them, I say yes, buy an unlimited pass. A fare system that charges the same to take people from the Bronx to JFK as it does to take them from 96th to 66th, is slanted way in your advantage.

I just hope a lot of Upper West and Eastsiders, and even people downtown, seriously think about walking (as I am) instead of coughing up $103 a month. Maybe I'll cave during extremely cold or hot months, but I'm at least going to give walking a shot. The unlimited pass simply isn't a no-brainer anymore.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM

84 posts, read 248,020 times
Wow. 103 a month. I'm not going to be buying the unlimited deal anymore. I agree with Cirlin about walking, other than when going to work. I've walked 100 blocks home and it was no problem, just a lengthy trip, but hell it's going to save money.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Suppose you were going to take a cab back and forth from work, five days a week. How much do you think that would cost you?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
$103 a month to travel in the city? Is that all the time day and night? Amazing. Just to insure my car, feed and maintain it cost over that amount. Unlike you folks I don't need to pay for a place to park my car's though.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,078,231 times
My two cents
1) I can afford to pay $103 for a monthly unlimited, but I understand that their are people out there who can't. I can't imagine how college students are gonna get buy, or a family of 4 earning less that 30K a year, and you have many who fall under that category.
2) I believe people would gladly pay the increases if the service was improved, but the service is getting worse every year, and this plan calls for cuts in service, Why pay more for less.
3) Something has to fundamentally change. I'm tired of these rich folks, sitting on these boards, and having the power to make decisions that don't effect them, but effect the poor and working/middle class. There not riding the subways everday, unless they ride the train for two stops, and tell there Limo driver to meet them upstairs..

Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
As regards the MTA Board (and you may believe me when I tell you that those of us employed by that august organization have just as little use for them as you do)...

All complaints should be directed to the Governor of New York State, who has ultimate control over MTA. He appoints three-quarters of the Board.

At present, by the way, we are all exceptionally fortunate that the Chairman of MTA, Elliott "Lee" Sander (an appointee of Governor Spitzer, by the way) is the first-ever head of MTA whose background is actually in mass transit. And he lives in the city, as well. The members of the board are another story; a bunch of rich people from upstate, many of whom likely have never set foot on a New York City bus or subway. They have most definitely got to go!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As regards the MTA Board (and you may believe me when I tell you that those of us employed by that august organization have just as little use for them as you do)...

All complaints should be directed to the Governor of New York State, who has ultimate control over MTA. He appoints three-quarters of the Board.

At present, by the way, we are all exceptionally fortunate that the Chairman of MTA, Elliott "Lee" Sander (an appointee of Governor Spitzer, by the way) is the first-ever head of MTA whose background is actually in mass transit. And he lives in the city, as well. The members of the board are another story; a bunch of rich people from upstate, many of whom likely have never set foot on a New York City bus or subway. They have most definitely got to go!
Elliot Sander is a millionaire as well. Yes he lives in Queens,but in one of the nicest areas in Douglaston. His house is easily worth over a $1,000,000 and he owns it free and clear. He also has a residence in the city and has a personal driver/bodyguard to drive him around.

None of the MTA's agency presidents or board members have a police detective assigned to protect and drive them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City