Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times

Advertisements

Harlem:

There is no requirement that a super live in any building, nor is there any requirement to control the heat in person. It's 2011, and you can control lots of things remotely, including the heat. However, if the heat is falling outside of the city allowed threshold, then the tenant need only call 311 and the inspector will check the temps in the apt. However, what many people feel is "freezing", especially the elderly, is almost always warmer than the requirement...and the LL probably knows that which is why he isn't increasing the heat.

It is inhumane, but guess what happens when you put a ceiling on income, but let expenses skyrocket? The LL is cutting where he can: expenses...heat being one of them. As soon as my contractor stops being inhumane and charging market price, and con edison stops being inhumane and charging me market price, and the city stops being inhumane and charges me market price for taxes, and my mortgage company stops being inhumane and charging me late fees because tenants don't pay on time, and the city stops being inhumane and forcing me to renew tenants forever and not allow real increases to keep up with expenses, then I will also stop being inhumane and put the heat up to a more tolerable level. See how that works?

Life ain't fair..trust me I know. By the way, I am also just being devil's advocate. I have all my tenants paying their own heat, so they can keep it as high as 90 degrees or as low as 25...they pay for it and it relieves me of the problem. It's an upfront cost but pays for itself in 5 years....plus you never hear complaints!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
I am happy to control my own heat. I lived in an apartment once where the landlord controlled it. Never again.

I actually rarely turn mine on. I like it cool. I live on the second floor, so unless it is absolutely freezing outside, my apartment stays a decent temp.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
As soon as my contractor stops being inhumane and charging market price, and con edison stops being inhumane and charging me market price,

Why would you confuse MONOPOLY pricing with MARKET pricing? There is no free market pricing in energy.

But I agree, tenant controlled heat is a good thing except of course for the cheapest developers and landlords who put in electrical resistance heating which is VERY cheap to install but preposterously expensive and wasteful for tenants to operate. But a separate gas hot water heater for each tenant is fair to everyone and a very nice way to live...I had that once and was very happy to set my own thermostat and pay my own reasonable gas bill.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Default when the heating laws started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
The landlord does not have to turn on the heat just because you are cold. She is following the heat law and does not have to accomodate you. Sorry, I know you wanted a different answer--the law is the law. Buy yourself a heater that shuts off automatically if tipped over.
Did the heating laws start when President Jimmy Carter was around when we had the oil embargo?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,407 times
Part of the problem is that the heat in many large complexes is controlled by sensors in certain apartments for which the tenant has no control of the corresponding setting. So, tenants who want it warmer turn on space heaters, the system sees that the unit is warm enough and shuts off the heat for everyone else. If the tenant wants it cooler, a window is opened and the system senses that it's too cold and roasts everyone else. Systems with indoor sensors seldom work well, but the industry promotes them with meaningless buzzwords like "green", "smart", and "comprehensive". Making a central boiler work efficiently is not hard; simply use an outside sensor to control the boiler and/or circulator pumps and allow the tenant to control the zone valves or dampers controlling each unit with a thermostat. Unfortunately, the building management community has been poisoned by eating too much heating industry BS which appeals to their control-freak instincts. Most tenants and condo owners don't want it either too hot or too cold, they simply want a heating system that works.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You sounds like a lousy tenant..you keep a thermometer near the doorway to each of your rooms and monitor it? I mean really? Geez...this is why I spend so much time looking for the right tenant...cuz I dont want to get stuck with someone covered in thermometers dialing 311 every 15 minutes.

Well, number one, I am a co-op owner, not a tenant ** sticks tongue out***

Number 2, I have never called 311, never stated that I did, or would. ***sticks tongue out***

I like the LL, I have his cell and call him when we need it. I am the only owner that has it, and he trust me, as I am a middle age man.

I got the thermometers not to be nasty, but for my own sense. Since my apt is on the top it is the coldest. So when the LL asks what temp I have up here, the thermometer tells the truth. I like for my own knowledge what the temp is, not to be a tattletale for the LL.

I, like KK own so we don't want heat blaring and tenants having windows open. It wastes our money.

PS: Good for you.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:

Part of the problem is that the heat in many large complexes is controlled by
sensors in certain apartments for which the tenant has no control of the
corresponding setting. So, tenants who want it warmer turn on space heaters, the
system sees that the unit is warm enough and shuts off the heat for everyone
else.
Far wiser and cheaper for the tenant with the thermostat to put an ice bag on the thermostat.
Unfortunately, the thermostat is usually in the landlord's or the super's apartment, on top of a radiator or over the kitchen stove.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Far wiser and cheaper for the tenant with the thermostat to put an ice bag on the thermostat.
Unfortunately, the thermostat is usually in the landlord's or the super's apartment, on top of a radiator or over the kitchen stove.

old, old trick.

my grandmothers apartment had the thermostat in it, she didn't do that, she used to close the door to the room, and that alone used to make the heat come up.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
I have a new born and its 65 degrees in the apartment to me I'm cold imagine a new born only 2 weeks old. I touch the heaters and they are cold do I have the right to tell him to put the heater on and am I allow to get a electric heater for the room then I feel for the rent that I pay for this apartment is not right to have 65 degree with a new born in the house and I bundled her up pretty good and I touch her nose and its cold

Old 12-21-2015, 06:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyliu138 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. Currently i am renting my 2 family house out. The tenants are responsible for the cooking gas, the heat and hot water are under my cover. The problem arises that i only have 2 gas meters for entire house. One is for 1st floor cooking gas and the other is under my name for all heating and hot water. How can i split up the bill with the 2nd floor tenant's cooking gas if i can't afford to install additional gas meter?
Gas heat use for a oven is tiny. Even more so if tenant is not a family. Don't worry. As a two family you dont even have to provide heat. It is legal to make tenants pay. Of course then you get lower rent and risk busted waterpipes when cheapskates tenants kill heat everytime thy are out of house and in a cold snap could be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City