Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times

Advertisements

Mayor Bloomberg, who is expected to use the accord to press city unions for a similar deal on a Tier 5 for future workers, called it "the only responsible way to address the longterm fiscal health of our city and state."

Mayor: Paterson 'Gutsy'

Not all city unions may be willing to cooperate with the Mayor's bid for further pension savings here, however. A deal last week that the Bloomberg administration reached with the Municipal Labor Committee placed on hold for an additional three months 1,000 layoffs that were scheduled to take place July 1. MLC Chairman Harry Nespoli, who also heads the Uniformed Sanitationmen's Association, flatly ruled out accepting Tier 5 to ensure that those layoffs are permanently shelved.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM

121 posts, read 249,894 times
Cuts across the board. State and city govt want to do more with less. For Sanworkers I think we should all try and see the big picture. We are contractually obligated to clean established routes. And if we dump on shift each crew member receives the 5 and change dump money. That's providing 40 percent dump citywide on a daily basis. Otherwise,no dump money paid. If relays can be reduced that saves money. Sunday security,why pay a sanworker at top pay more than 500 dollars when you can get someone to sit there for minimum wage? Baskets too,just push the collection trucks to do more on the route. Getting routes up and dumped on shift, with time to spare shows the bean counters that they can get more done with less resources(sanworkers). Sure we all know some routes can be run up and dumped quickly. Though some still do so many days,it is becoming extinct. Mark my words, I see the day coming soon that you'll be out sweeping the curb if your route is cleaned early. Or you'll be dispatched to clean another section with work out. Those eight hours we all work must be accounted for. If you work 6-2 and are cleaned and dumped before lunch(1030)there is still,minus lunch and pm break over 2and a half hours of time left. Two people assigned to that truck can do a quarter trucks worth more work! Times that by how many other trucks are in similar circumstances. You can get a lot more work done with less,don't you think that's what's on managements mind? Fulltruck says it best...

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

36 posts, read 70,950 times
How can they go back and touch an established tier?
I thought they could only make changes by making a new tier?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM

176 posts, read 374,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashmanNYC View Post
How can they go back and touch an established tier?
I thought they could only make changes by making a new tier?
They are looking to make a new tier for all new hires. The last Tier is 4. All those already in are pretty much safe. It will be anyone else hired new who will put into Tier 5 if they get it established.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabz28ss View Post
They are looking to make a new tier for all new hires. The last Tier is 4. All those already in are pretty much safe. It will be anyone else hired new who will put into Tier 5 if they get it established.
Thats what i thought, i must of read that post from the previous page the wrong way..........

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM

156 posts, read 327,237 times
Cant wait till Oct 4 09 till i stop paying that 3%.... its like another raise... 44 extra $ a week would be nice...

What bugs me also it should be a certain amount of money each week not 3%...

If i work a chart or a sunday that 44$ could be 88$... Why do i have to pay more into a pension then a guy who doesnt work his charts and sundays? and get the same?

What do you guys think about the roll on roll off getting like 100$ extra at end of contract?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
Cant wait till Oct 4 09 till i stop paying that 3%.... its like another raise... 44 extra $ a week would be nice...
i stop paying mine march 2010...........

Quote:
What do you guys think about the roll on roll off getting like 100$ extra at end of contract?
BS! thats part of the reason that Angelo left the union. Then these guys want priority at the dump too............

Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM

72 posts, read 198,248 times
Quote:

If i work a chart or a sunday that 44$ could be 88$... Why do i have to pay more into a pension then a guy who doesnt work his charts and sundays? and get the same?

You pay more because the additional income (OT, differentials, etc) are pensionable income. Why should someone who makes alot of extras who is therefore going to have a greater pension than someone who does not, pay into the pension at the same rate as the guy whose pension will be less.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM

192 posts, read 401,291 times
Quote:

Part of your pension calculation is based on your AMC's. So if you worked more over time throughout your career, your AMC account is larger and therefore your pension calculation is also larger. How much larger? All depends. You also have the right to stop contributing into your pension the 5% when you reach 20. However you can leave it in there....to increase your calculation.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM

372 posts, read 830,176 times
if a $5 incentive is the reason behind dumping and not dumping that guy is a moron lol now they want you to dump a split on shift by the time the route is done and you dump fuel up and get back into the garage you have wat 2 hours left? what did u gain if you didnt take lunch or your two breaks lol things will not change when u got guys with 15 plus years still on ruining the job there used to there old ways and could care less what they leave behind as long as there happy....its alot easier for guys with time on the job to lead by example then guys with one two years on...yeh i could stay out all day and do the right thing but one guy out of 93 lol guys are gonna just say wow hes lazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City