U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 AM

156 posts, read 322,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK
An emergency shop steward meeting was held on Wednesday night.

Guys. This is it. People in denial on this board that claim I'm hyping this up better take notice. IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. 8 HOURS. We must make it an 8 hour job or else. 600 trucks cut a month. Doherty told Harry that he could run the dept. with 3,400 men. Everybody paying attention? All you guys waiting to get on paying attention? We currently run at about 6,500. Maybe Epyon can give us an exact head count?

How does everybody feel about that? How does this news make you feel?
The people in the house who want to believe that "ahhhh nothing's gonna happen" must TAKE NOTICE. Although they might not lay off 3,000 men, more likely up to 1,000, the cuts are definetly coming. The truck cuts are surely coming. This is an 8 HOUR JOB.

We all know how hard we work everyday trying to survive for 20 years. Runner's or not. We know what we go through. Another Tier??? 25 years without overtime in the pension calculation?!?

IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. One way or another. Your way or theirs. It's up to us.

More later.....I got to run.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280
Can't give you an exact headcount but we are a 1000 more than 6500 but running this department with 3,400 guys is unreal. I doubt Mr. Doherty would say that. Those 3,400 could never clean the whole city alone.

Thou today in the office one of my co workers said layoffs might happen and he usually says something only if he hears stuff about it. This is like the first time in a long time .. like months he has said something to me about layoffs. And as we left work today he was saying how the new fiscal year is around the corner and something has to happen. Whether that means being able to replace san. Wkr. leaving with new san. wkrs. or laying off I suppose. Oh well. I hope whatever happens is good and that if the worst does happened that you guys are informed way head of time, Esp those that have families to support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK
Harry said that that was Dohertys' threat. I believe that the 3400 might have been an insinuation of privates. I'm sure everyone on the job knows that these are mostly threats. I am only reporting what was said. You must realize that privates have always offered plans to take over the city's garbage. This threat is always around. I think however that there is a myriad of reasons that keep it at bay. This all comes down to our dump times.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. They want to BREAK us. They are seizing the oppurtunity. Our weights are down to 10.0. We are not even close to our target contract weight of 10.7.

More later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez
I know there was a Memo sent to the garages from J doherty himself and it's about starting july 1 there will be a reduced headcount for the street cleaning ..Although it says it would be through attrition , i highly doubt that many people are going to retire from now until july.. So yes i do think it is real.. although i don't believe he can run it with 3,400 ppl.. we shall know more soon in the upcoming months..ALso in the memo was something about relays and how many to do .. I didn't get the ending part of the memo because it was written like a 4th grade story..
hope you guys don't mind having your posts in here to start this thread, I just wanted to make sure all the newest relevant info from the last thread was here for everyone to see

Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM

191 posts, read 777,813 times
wow ,they shut down the og thread..over 8000 posts and over a half of a million views!

i hope this is not foreshadowing.

good luck to all otj.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 AM

1,810 posts, read 5,918,933 times
Thans Illmatic,you did the right thing. They are trying to keep us down...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 AM

335 posts, read 642,185 times
I am going to miss the other thread. It was so cool that we had the most replies and most views on that thread.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM

231 posts, read 397,042 times
wow, i didnt know a thread had to be shut down. Couldnt they just erase the first 6000 posts or so. Anyway, everyone found th elast one, hopefully they will find this one.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM

169 posts, read 362,927 times
Just a heads-up, the UFA (FDNY)union is encouraging all members with less then 2 years to attend the next meeting to discuss possible lay-offs!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 PM

473 posts, read 791,425 times
Things are not looking good. The numbers are unclear but it really sounds like we are getting laid off in July. Good Luck Guys.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM

32 posts, read 124,265 times
does anyone know if 831 ever has meetings for the members . i never here about any from shop stewards in my district ?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM

876 posts, read 1,798,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv3123 View Post
does anyone know if 831 ever has meetings for the members . i never here about any from shop stewards in my district ?
You must be in a running district. Your shop stewards know about what is going on they just dont care.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM

289 posts, read 645,469 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage time View Post
wow ,they shut down the og thread..over 8000 posts and over a half of a million views!

i hope this is not foreshadowing.

good luck to all otj.
JUST WANTED TO SAY HELLO TO EVERYONE ............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City