Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 19,778 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a block right next to Montefiore hospital and very close to woodlawn cemetary.
Is that part of the Bronx considered Norwood or Woodlawn ??
Can anyone tell me what they know about the neigborhood good or bad
Is the neigborhood diverse my family and I come from eastern europe.
What overall feel you have about the neigborhood?
I also have a little boy who is three years old , If anyone knows anything about the daycares, playgrounds and schools would be very helpfull.
Plus if you can voice your opinion on which neigborhood you think is better Norwood or Woodlawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
I think where you are moving is considered Norwood although boundaries in The Bronx are always a question. Are you South of Gun Hill Rd ?
To me ,the Woodlawn stop at the end of the 4 is actually in Norwood. I know that sounds crazy but the real Woodlawn is up above the cemetery off of Katonah and McLean Avenues to me.You have to take a bus from the subway.
Both neighborhoods are good and pretty safe .. Woodlawn maybe a bit more so than Norwood .
Norwood is much more diverse than Woodlawn which is definitely predominantly Irish.Norwood used to be the same but is much less Irish now.
It depends on what you are looking for..I would probably actually rather live in Norwood because of it's diversity and it seems more convenient to shopping and subways.Woodlawn is very nice but feels a bit isolated to me... which is how they want it i think.
Don't know if this helps or confuses you and I can't help with the other stuff because I don't have kids.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-27-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 04:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Norwood has much more crime. I can find you article where large drug gangs have been busted in the 200's.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM

I am going to live one block from the woodlawn 4 train station and half a block from where the cemetary starts
all feed back is helpfull thank you

Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolinka720 View Post
I am going to live one block from the woodlawn 4 train station and half a block from where the cemetary starts
all feed back is helpfull thank you
Not bad.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not bad.
Take this comment as a good one Karolinka , as SuperMario tends to be very negative where crime is concerned. "Not bad" is probably the best he would say about any neighborhood.

Have you gone and hung out in the neighborhood yourself ? That is always the big test because we all have different comfort levels.

I was skeptical about moving to The Bronx when I started looking for a place because of it's bad reputation but was pleasantly surprised when I started really looking into neighborhoods. What I found is that a lot of them are no different than your average neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens except for the prices which are much lower in The Bronx. Now that I have been living here for awhile I am even more convinced of this.

Hope someone who lives there can help you with some of your other questions.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 AM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolinka720 View Post
I am moving to a block right next to Montefiore hospital and very close to woodlawn cemetary.
Is that part of the Bronx considered Norwood or Woodlawn ??
Can anyone tell me what they know about the neigborhood good or bad
Is the neigborhood diverse my family and I come from eastern europe.
What overall feel you have about the neigborhood?
I also have a little boy who is three years old , If anyone knows anything about the daycares, playgrounds and schools would be very helpfull.
Plus if you can voice your opinion on which neigborhood you think is better Norwood or Woodlawn
Woodlawn does not extend south of 233rd Street. You are going to be in the neighborhood that many Woodlawners refer to as "Bainbridge."

The boundaries of the Woodlawn neighborhood is pretty much unversally defined as Cemetery (233rd st) to the South, Van Cortlandt park to the West, Yonkers to the North, and the Bronx River Parkway to the East.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 PM

thank you for all the replys, I am already living in the Bronx. I am moving from my area because of the increased gang and drug activity on my block. I think my new area will be better is right next to a hospital so it should be somewhat safe.I will give an update in few weeks again

Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
Since this is a renters market---and Woodlawn is such a nice neighborhood--I say that you should look there.

Veyr important to you is whether the state legislature bails out the MTA and saves the BX-34 bus line, which goes from Montefiore to Woodlawn

If that bus line is saved, I say definitely try Woodlawn

Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 PM

I am already moving I found the apartment and is right next to montefiore hospital.
I mean I can literrally look at the hospital from my window. The apartment is very nice and affordable now I wonder will the noise form the hospital will affect my sleep
oh well we see I am going to be packing all week anyone know good movers thats not too expensive????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City