Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,610,886 times

Advertisements

Agree with all of the above comments. It's not the kind of place where you're at all likely to be attacked by a stranger. However, if you're not used to the kind of environment being described, you're going to feel extremely uncomfortable walking around your own neighborhood. Is it absolutely too late to back out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM

424 posts, read 970,900 times
North of 125th Street (give or take) is where Harlem transitions into Hamilton Heights than around 150's becomes Washington Heights; the 170's and St Nicholas are right in the heart of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Your doing things a bit backwards. You usually want to do your research before signing a lease.
However, the summer's tend to be very loud and a lot of quality of life issues arise.
I never really had a problem with safety per se (though women should take precautions, especially at night) but I'm going to also issue potential renters of Wash Heights to really think if it's worth moving up there just to remain in Manhattan. The rents may be low but there's a reason in many cases. It get's very loud during the summertime, especially around Broadway. Partly because of music from car stereo's and other various noises but the worst are huge groups of sport bikers and street racers who like to use Broadway as their personal highway going to and from Yonkers; where I think a lot of them keep them in garages since the city is trying to crack down on street racing. They'll also do wheelies and doughnuts in the street holding up traffic for a long time- no police in sight (paid off to look the other way?) Drug activity is pretty common as others stated; someone told me the various factions of the Dominican mafia controls the 135th north into the Bronx. Seeing that restaurants turn into nightclubs with blasting music and fights that break out where the police would be called if it was in any neighborhood south of 96th Street, open air dealing during the day and other things I've seen I mostly believe him.... lots of QOL issues in and around Washington Heights. Honestly living there made me not even want to live in Manhattan anymore and I moved to Queens after about a year, since at least that borough is safer, less expensive and relatively peaceful.

That said the part of Washington Heights that I'd advise living in is around Fort Washington Avenue from 175th to 190th Street (not 200th Street- the area around Dyckman St is like the wild west at night and has a lot of traffic problems during the height of summer). Being west of Broadway is key in Upper Manhattan. Do your research and don't take a potential roommate's or realtor's word that the "area is fine." I moved there during the winter and moved out of my old apartment in July and my old roommate tried to get me to delay my move until "the weather got colder"; trying to take advantage of the cold temps as a misleading indicator of how things are with the next person. I wouldn't move back even with the cheap rents, especially now living in the burbs. Walk around during a July day and check things out for yourself.

The commute on the A train is a bit long from Midtown and late night during weekends service is pretty sparse also. In short it's not an area I would recommend to those who aren't very familiar with the city yet.

Last edited by ehanson; 04-28-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,057,212 times
Thread is from 4 years ago. Wonder what happened to OP.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM

503 posts, read 895,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thread is from 4 years ago. Wonder what happened to OP.
Probably hauled ass out of there.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM

72 posts, read 126,838 times
OP went back to Ohio and started a bachata band with his homies Tyler, Hunter and Dan.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 PM

503 posts, read 895,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoNYC View Post
OP went back to Ohio and started a bachata band with his homies Tyler, Hunter and Dan.
Rofl

Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,077,495 times
Quote:
LOL!

I'm literally laughing out loud.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,007,885 times
Quote:
Lmaoo! Funniest thing I've read on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City