U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,823 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife have decided to to sell our OC home (Warwick) and move to the city to reduce my 1 1/2 hour commute and her soon to be 1 1/4 hour commute to Westchester. We've begun looking for small town communities on or near the water. So far just City Island in the Bronx has come up. Any other ideas or info on City Island? Will be spending $550-$650, 2 kids in grade school. Thnks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
I find City Island a joyful place to visit but I've never lived here. I do have a old school chum who moved there about 15 years ago from NJ. They have a wonderful house on one of the side street in the middle of the Island. The architecture is extremely modern, open, and looks like a beach front design. They love it!

I believe there is a bus that goes directly into NYC from CI. It has quite a few stops (including Midtown and Wall Street).

Shopping is the only issue I see about the Island, but you are close to other areas with ample shopping.

I know nothing about the schools. But, I do know they have a community centre with many children's activities, and a flourishing art cooperative for adults.

Sounds like a good plan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjwil View Post
Me and my wife have decided to to sell our OC home (Warwick) and move to the city to reduce my 1 1/2 hour commute and her soon to be 1 1/4 hour commute to Westchester. We've begun looking for small town communities on or near the water. So far just City Island in the Bronx has come up. Any other ideas or info on City Island? Will be spending $550-$650, 2 kids in grade school. Thnks

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-28-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
City Island is supposed to have an excellent elementary school. It seems like such a friendly community. But the seafood is too good--I wouldn't be able to fit through my own front door if I lived there.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Yes, some of those seafood restaurants are the best around!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
I really like visiting City Island. Some great restaurants. It gets a little crowded once the weather gets better.

I don't know about living there. It seems like a great place for retired folks but for a young kid growing up there it has to be rough. It's tiny and boring for a young kid. I don't know if it is the greatest place to raise a family.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
You should also know that homes don't often come up for sale on City Island - that's how popular it is!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM

93 posts, read 333,436 times
City Island is a quaint area, good food and a few decent bars. I had a friend who lived out there, Fordham St. or nearby. He wouldn't let his kids go to the elemntary school there. Too many problems with the kids bused in from Co-op City. Also, from spring to about early October it will take you over an hour to get out there due to the influx of tourists et al. This I know first hand, I use to keep my boat at Minnefords South. If I wasn't out there by 10am I didn't even bother trying.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,809,179 times
Another place you could investigate is Broad Channel. It's a small community in Queens, on the only inhabited island on Jamaica Bay. A free bridge goes to Brooklyn and a toll bridge goes to Rockaway. I saw a house there that was wet part way up the side because of high tide. A woman in the doorway told me that the street by her house floods during high tide when there is a full moon. But the only time the water came into the house, she said when I asked, was during that big storm in 1991 or 1992.

Another place is Seagate, on the tip of Brooklyn. It is gated, but the security guards could not stop the ocean from swallowing up a house there in that same storm. I don't know how community-minded the place is, though.

Also consider Breezy Point, also in Queens, almost on the tip of the Rockaway Peninsula. There are also some other small neighborhoods out on the Rockaway Peninsula.

I would be afraid to live so close to the open ocean, because of coastal storms, coastal flooding, etc.

At least City Island, and also Broad Channel, are not on the open ocean.

City Island has a lot of personality. When I first crossed the City Island Bridge and saw all those boats, I thought of Jamestown and Newport, Rhode Island. The seawall reminded me of Watch Hill, Rhode Island.

I would investigate amenities, such as nearness to shopping, etc. I would also want to see the physical and social character of the neighborhood. Gerritsen Beach, in southern Brooklyn, also has personality, with streets so narrow you can only park on one side. There are some neat houses there, and there is waterfront property. There appears to be a strong sense of community there. Also, the B31 bus can take you right to the Kings Highway Station, where you could get the B and Q trains to Manhattan. But I believe the area, like some others, is built on landfill. That means, that in the unlikely but possible event of an earthquake, the ground would probably liquify.

Last edited by arel; 04-04-2007 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,001,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Another place you could investigate is Broad Channel. It's a small community in Queens, on the only inhabited island on Jamaica Bay. A free bridge goes to Brooklyn and a toll bridge goes to Rockaway...

Also consider Breezy Point, also in Queens, almost on the tip of the Rockaway Peninsula. There are also some other small neighborhoods out on the Rockaway Peninsula.
None of the places Arel has listed would be convenient for a commute to Westchester but I do like them all.

The Gil Hodges Bridge to Rockaway is free to Broad Channel Residents, actually its free to the residents of Rockaway as well. They successfully argued that they should not have to pay a toll to move about within their own zip code, school district and community zone. Broad Channel would be a difficult place to move, the residents are very insular and not necessarily warm to outsiders.

Breezy Point is a great family place, in my opinion. It is a gated community that is like no other in NYC. (I believe this is still true) It is a cooperative community where the land is owned by the cooperative and the house structure is owned by the resident. In order to purchase a home you need to be referred by two other residents and put 50% down on the mortgage. Pretty stringent. The "downside" is that shopping is minimal and you are very far from the rest of the world.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
If you are looking at City Island, would you consider the "Country Club" neighborhood in the Bronx? It is the neighborhood north of Throggs Neck, South of Pelham Bay Park and to the east of 95. It is a really nice neighborhood and as long as you don't try to get something directly on the water, then a 3br/4br should be around $550k.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club%2C_Bronx

The town of Pelham is also one worth checking out. Its a nice town, but is probably at the upper range of your budget and isn't on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or