Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times

Advertisements

Robbed? No. Made fun of by native New Yorkers? Yes, especially if you are a guy.

New York is pretty safe though, so I wouldnt worry. I highly recommend walking around Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights to look at the brownstone architecture that you'll never see in soulless CA. You can also check out the edgy, up and coming fringes of the hipster mecca, Williamsburg by walking down Knickerbocker Ave. Also, since you Californians love the sea, I recommend visiting Howard Beach. You'll feel right at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingsignal View Post
Hi Everyone - I'm going to be visiting NYC for the first time this month, and plan on spending lots of time wandering the city on foot and via the subway. I'll be alone for most of my trip, and would like to see as much of the city as I can.

I live in Los Angeles, but I've never been to NY, so I have no idea what to expect. People always ask me if I'm in a band because I have "cool" hair, and I like to wear edgy/designer clothing - but am I safe wandering around wearing a $1000 outfit with $400 Versace sunglasses and a designer leather messenger bag? Or does that just slap a huge target on my forehead to get robbed?

I realize this all makes me sound like a lame fashion victim but trust me, it is in moderation. I can easily rock a t-shirt, jeans and a cap and blend into a crowd.

I'll be staying near Times Square, but my adventures will take me everywhere, including the lower east side.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone - I'm going to be visiting NYC for the first time this month, and plan on spending lots of time wandering the city on foot and via the subway. I'll be alone for most of my trip, and would like to see as much of the city as I can.

I live in Los Angeles, but I've never been to NY, so I have no idea what to expect. People always ask me if I'm in a band because I have "cool" hair, and I like to wear edgy/designer clothing - but am I safe wandering around wearing a $1000 outfit with $400 Versace sunglasses and a designer leather messenger bag? Or does that just slap a huge target on my forehead to get robbed?

I realize this all makes me sound like a lame fashion victim but trust me, it is in moderation. I can easily rock a t-shirt, jeans and a cap and blend into a crowd.

I'll be staying near Times Square, but my adventures will take me everywhere, including the lower east side.

Thanks!
________
What is really important is that you look smart. Not for a million dollars stand at a corner admiring tall buildings. If you want to do that, go to the Top of the Rock and do all the admiring you want in a safe place where everyone is doing the same. Is not a good idea to walk around with an inviting smile either. No matter how much crime has been reduced, there are still predators that will follow you if they wrongly think is what you want.

In Manhattan your clothes may not even stand out. As a matter of fact I think people with brandless/cheap clothing are targeted more often. This is because they may be perceived as newcomers without experience thus they are a more attactive target to petty criminals.

Have fun!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM

28 posts, read 79,047 times
lolol this post is hilarious! lolol
and it does not matter if you buy fakes at china town or not...its china town. give me a break! everything seedy is right next door to the jail. coppers know whats going on. my copper friends have bought fakes in china town. no one cares! geeez!!!!!

as for the la girl who is coming to ny, i think we have all scared her enough LOLOL

Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 50,335 times
Just be yourself,that's the beauty of New York.

Always keep your money and I.D. safe. Maybe buy a wallet size,well made (so it doesn't break) over the shoulder bag you can wear beneath your jacket.
Once you've made sure your cash is safe,you're all set.
People walk around with cameras all the time in NYC. Relax and have fun being a tourist,no reason to be uncomfortable about it being obvious. Enjoy!

Oh and unless it's very well populated,I wouldn't go too many places alone at night. Not because it's NY,that just goes for anywhere.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritanyc View Post
and it does not matter if you buy fakes at china town or not...its china town. give me a break! everything seedy is right next door to the jail. coppers know whats going on. my copper friends have bought fakes in china town. no one cares! geeez!!!!!
Not everyone who lives, works, or visits New York shares that sentiment. Personally, I do not contribute to the systematic and organized theft that is the counterfeit trade, nor do I encourage others to do so. And, I'd encourage any New Yorker to contribute to operations that cost the city's coffers hundreds of millions of dollars annually in lost taxes and lost jobs from legitimate enterprises.

And, global trade in illicit counterfeit goods not only robs people of livelihoods in the form of royalties for books and films, but fake auto parts and airline parts labeled as the real goods have also been part of the trade. It's a dangerous game with fake baby formula, fake foods, etc., that one does not know exactly what the product contains that may or may not be harmful. It's not all vinyl look-alike bags and base metal watches with silver or gold tone cases.

A police officer who knowingly contributes to the illicit trade should be removed from the force. And, corporations have private investigators who scour the area to get the goods, literally, on fake sellers, seizing the goods and getting them off the street. It's so "unimportant" and a "non-issue" as many may try to argue that even federal law enforcement agencies are involved in the crackdowns on fake goods.

So, while people may think that it's not an issue to purchase such goods, it's contributing to a global problem that siphons billions from the legitimate economy and places the profits in the hands of criminals. Plus, fakes are just plain tacky.

One other thing that I wanted to mention to the OP is that New Yorkers are generally eager to help out with directions or recommendations, but we are a no nonsense breed and might speak quickly or be hurried in giving answers or directions, but more people are willing to help out than not, just be sure to pick normal people out of the crowd to ask for any assistance that you might need.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 21,550 times
Well, I just got back from my trip and can't believe how far off my perceptions were about NY, especially coming from LA. I wandered everywhere from the upper west side to the lower east side, Chelsea to Brooklyn (Bushwick and Williamsburg, no less), mostly on foot and almost always alone and had zero issues at any hour. Downtown LA is scarier than most of NY!! I blended in just fine, even with my camera being out a lot of the time. Not even the street vendors bothered me once.

I adore NYC and can't wait to go back. I realize my initial post made me sound like an uber-LA-yuppy-snob, but I was being over the top to outline an edge case. Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
I assume you're going to be in manhattan in which case you'll be fine. NYC is safer than LA. It's also a fashion capital and there isnt anythign you could wear that is goign to stand out, seriously. You'll be fine. If you're into hip and edgy, stay beneath 23rd st. east village, west village, nolita, lower east side, soho, even chelsea. East village and lower east side are more popping after mindnight. west village and soho, better for daytime shopping and strolls. nolita is good for a bite with a hip crowd. if you're into clubs and such, check out the meatpacking district.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
one more thing.... nyc is crowded. its har to feel unsafe on lulow at 345am when theres 200,000 people walking around.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM

493 posts, read 664,906 times
Quote:
Well, I just got back from my trip and can't believe how far off my perceptions were about NY, especially coming from LA. I wandered everywhere from the upper west side to the lower east side, Chelsea to Brooklyn (Bushwick and Williamsburg, no less), mostly on foot and almost always alone and had zero issues at any hour. Downtown LA is scarier than most of NY!! I blended in just fine, even with my camera being out a lot of the time. Not even the street vendors bothered me once.

I adore NYC and can't wait to go back. I realize my initial post made me sound like an uber-LA-yuppy-snob, but I was being over the top to outline an edge case. Thanks for all the replies, everyone!
Glad you had fun. I was just there a couple weeks ago for the first time as well and had a great time. (Stayed in Williamsburg with my step-brother). It's such a mishmash of different types of people there, especially in Manhattan, that nobody really seems to notice what you look like or care what you're doing as long as you're not bothering anyone. Ironically if you look like a tourist, you fit right in...there are always tons of tourists there.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 AM

467 posts, read 1,684,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
It's the fashion capital of the world. I'm sure there would be people wearing clothes several times more expensive than what you mentioned you'll be wearing.

Seriously! People are dressed every way in NYC!! From 1000 dollar outfits, to 15 dollar outfits..to people who wear almost nothing! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City