U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,001,415 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming you are talking about Saint Barnabus... If you really want to live close and don't want to deal with a car try looking at the area around Fordham Road. It is close to Fordham University and there is a good amount of off campus residences that keep the neighborhood somewhat more alive & diverse. The bus runs right down Third Ave or you can cab it. Might be cheeper than having a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
I was trying not to be so obvious and respect this guy's privacy by not naming St. Barnabas, but of well

The problem is that this guy said he doesn't want to live in Belmont because the people were staring at him. How would it be any different on Fordham Rd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about Saint Barnabus... If you really want to live close and don't want to deal with a car try looking at the area around Fordham Road. It is close to Fordham University and there is a good amount of off campus residences that keep the neighborhood somewhat more alive & diverse. The bus runs right down Third Ave or you can cab it. Might be cheeper than having a car.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Fordham Road is a very busy street. One of the busiest in the city. I really have a hard time picturing someone getting stared at uncomfortably walking along there. It is not unusual in the morning or even during the day to see someone wearing a suit on their way to work or etc. Some of the local shopowners and businessman wear suits.

Now if you happen to be on another street in the neighborhood of Fordham, wearing a suit in the middle of the day, you definitely might get some uncomfortable stares.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 30,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The problem is that this guy said he doesn't want to live in Belmont because the people were staring at him. How would it be any different on Fordham Rd?
your sarcasm is unappreciated. but i forgive you since you don't know i've had some experiences in other cities - all i can say is that i'm glad i'm still alive.

most of the people that live and work in the bronx are decent hardworking people. i interacted with people on fordham road and felt comfortable there. though some people there told me not to go into the side streets.

i am not looking for a "ritzy" heighborhood.

but the advice on the forum has been helpful. i'll look into living on fordham road area. if things don't work out there - i'll consider other areas such as riverdale or westchester.

thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 12:40 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
I actually wasn't being sarcastic at all when I said that. I usually am quite sarcastic, but I wasn't being so in this situation.

If you aren't looking for a ritzy area then look into Woodlawn, Throggs Neck, or Morris Park in the Bronx. Morris Park isn't ritzy but is ten times better than Belmont and is only a 10 minute drive down Pelham Parkway from the hospital. Plus Morris Park has some of the best Italian food in the city (as does Belmont, but the difference is that Morris Park is where a lot of the Italian people live, whereas Belmont has a lot of Albanians masquerading as Italians with a good number of Puerto Ricans thrown into the mix).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny618 View Post
your sarcasm is unappreciated. but i forgive you since you don't know i've had some experiences in other cities - all i can say is that i'm glad i'm still alive.

most of the people that live and work in the bronx are decent hardworking people. i interacted with people on fordham road and felt comfortable there. though some people there told me not to go into the side streets.

i am not looking for a "ritzy" heighborhood.

but the advice on the forum has been helpful. i'll look into living on fordham road area. if things don't work out there - i'll consider other areas such as riverdale or westchester.

thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 30,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I actually wasn't being sarcastic at all when I said that. I usually am quite sarcastic, but I wasn't being so in this situation.

If you aren't looking for a ritzy area then look into Woodlawn, Throggs Neck, or Morris Park in the Bronx. Morris Park isn't ritzy but is ten times better than Belmont and is only a 10 minute drive down Pelham Parkway from the hospital. Plus Morris Park has some of the best Italian food in the city (as does Belmont, but the difference is that Morris Park is where a lot of the Italian people live, whereas Belmont has a lot of Albanians masquerading as Italians with a good number of Puerto Ricans thrown into the mix).
Sorry I misunderstood

This is actually very helpful. Now I know which neighborhoods to hone in on in my housing search.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
Try looking close to Mosholu Parkway.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
My daughter and I visited Harlem last year whilst on vacation from the U.K and the people we spoke to were very polite and helpful. We did visit day time though and returned to city before dark. I loved the vibe in Harlem and the shopping was great!

Last edited by lizzie u.k; 11-17-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 PM

18,241 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Arthur Ave. is basically safe because of all the tourists but straying away from the tourists is usually less safe because the area around it is not the greatest. Also there are no subway lines going near Arthur Ave. so the surrounding areas never became a tourist attraction. And ive never heard of the Albanian Mafia but im sure it is exists so yea I guess watch out for that. Haha.
There is a rather unpleasant saying about Albanian's in that they will crawl over their mothers to get at their sisters. It is not very nice but the common sentiment is you *DON"T* want to mess with them and especially the Albanian mafia.

Unlike the Italian version the Albanian has no qualms about harming women, children and the elderly for instance.

Albania is very close to Italy and thus it's people often resemble northern Italians. Indeed know of plenty Italian-Albanian marriages on Staten Island. The usual give away between the two is where Italian men will have a "horn" on chain around their neck (along with a cross and or perhaps religious medals), most Albanian men will have the double headed eagle. In fact if you go into a pizza place, restaurant or whatever and see the double headed eagle it is Albanian regardless of whatever the name outside.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny618 View Post
I'm moving to NYC from another part of the country. I was wondering if Arthur Avenue area/"the real Little Italy" is a safe place to live because of tourists/crowds that are there usually.
You will never go hungry. The food is a great positive in the area. Lack of public transportation is a major negative but what sort of insulated the area. As other posters have stated it's a big latino area with a smattering of Albanians or Macedonians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City