U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 AM

14 posts, read 68,561 times

Advertisements

i made that mistake back in '01 by moving out to ENY. not only is it probably the worst area in all of nyc. Good luck calling the police and having them respond. Sometimes they don't even bother coming, and the falsify their records to show that the resonded, etc. The police have been known to also walk away from a victim who wants to file a police report, so be very careful. I've seen cases of domestic violence with the woman having horrible bruising and the police just walking away. I had section 8, so i was stuck until the lease expired. You need to get outta there like right now. Break your lease if you have to. You could probably get your security deposit back if you take your landlord to tenant /landlord court and show proof that you are not safe in your own apartment/building. Take pictures of the plumbing problem, write a list of day to day plumbing problems. Notify the buildings department and the DOH if you feel that the problem problem is detrimental to your health. Also you didn't say what kind of plumbing problems you are having. If you have a problem in your toilet/bathroom sink then you run the risk for Methan gas poisoning which is sewage decomposition gases that can seep into your apartment is you have bad plumbing in your bathroom. You didn't say how much you was paying for your apartment, but there are other areas in Brooklyn with rents just as cheap and where you don't have to be afraid for your life. Sunset Park is a great neighborhood. most apartment are now 900-1200 for a 1 bedroom, but I've seen 2-bedroom being offered for 1,200. It's a great mix of people from asis, middle east, latin america, jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM
ako

140 posts, read 217,883 times
Wow, I didn't know crime is THAT serious. I mean New York is one of the wealthiest cities in the world, with a great police force... and crime is that bad? To the extend where you can hear gunshots?!?

I come from a small city, with barely any crime, it's hard for me to comprehend how people live in areas where you might get killed walking on the street.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 AM

1,916 posts, read 5,423,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Wow, I didn't know crime is THAT serious. I mean New York is one of the wealthiest cities in the world, with a great police force... and crime is that bad? To the extend where you can hear gunshots?!?

I come from a small city, with barely any crime, it's hard for me to comprehend how people live in areas where you might get killed walking on the street.
New York is a big city, just because some people are wealthy, doesn't mean they're spreading the wealth across the board.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM

638 posts, read 728,181 times
The 75th Police Precinct covers East New York, Brooklyn. The latest ComStat crime statistics disclose the following:

Murder - 6 year to date....a 20 % increase (versus 5 last year at this time)
Rape - 20 % decrease
Robbery - 26.4 % decrease
Felony Assault - 1 % increase
Burglary - 1.6 % increase
Grand Larceny - 15.9 % decrease
Grand Larceny Auto - 3.7 % decrease
Overall crimes is down about 11 % year to date.

The 75th Precinct (East New York) has always been one of the busiest Police Precincts in New York City. It is a poor, run down area. To compare it to the late 80s and early 90s is ludicrous. Back in the day there were 50 - 60 homicides a year compared to 13 - 20 now. Robberies, Rapes, and Burglaries were rampant. Mothers couldn't send their children to the store without a legitimate fear that they might be caught up in a drug turf crossfire. It is still a tough area, with unacceptable levels of crime and violence but is MUCH IMPROVED when compared to the earlier days. You have other options which are definitely nicer than East New York...you should start doing a little research.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM

1,916 posts, read 5,423,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
The 75th Police Precinct covers East New York, Brooklyn. The latest ComStat crime statistics disclose the following:

Murder - 6 year to date....a 20 % increase (versus 5 last year at this time)
Rape - 20 % decrease
Robbery - 26.4 % decrease
Felony Assault - 1 % increase
Burglary - 1.6 % increase
Grand Larceny - 15.9 % decrease
Grand Larceny Auto - 3.7 % decrease
Overall crimes is down about 11 % year to date.

The 75th Precinct (East New York) has always been one of the busiest Police Precincts in New York City. It is a poor, run down area. To compare it to the late 80s and early 90s is ludicrous. Back in the day there were 50 - 60 homicides a year compared to 13 - 20 now. Robberies, Rapes, and Burglaries were rampant. Mothers couldn't send their children to the store without a legitimate fear that they might be caught up in a drug turf crossfire. It is still a tough area, with unacceptable levels of crime and violence but is MUCH IMPROVED when compared to the earlier days. You have other options which are definitely nicer than East New York...you should start doing a little research.
To be fair though, the 75th covers a larger area than most precincts, so it's only logical that they have more crime.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM

143 posts, read 253,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
So I moved into my apartment her in ENY bout a month ago and I here gunshots every other night and im tired of it but then why do only 4 murders show up hmmmm?
you ever see uncle murda there?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM

203 posts, read 288,345 times
I don't mean to chime in here but just because there aren't murders doesn't mean that there weren't injuries. I hate it how they make it seem like murders represent the amount of people being shot/stabbed at. There could be thirteen people who got shot but four of the thirteen people died resulting from injuries. The other nine victims could have near death/ critical injuries also. That's why I don't like those homicide statistics. Sure, more than 400 people died in Chicago, but how many people actually got shot/stabbed? That's what I think matters.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,195,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1967 View Post
i made that mistake back in '01 by moving out to ENY. not only is it probably the worst area in all of nyc. Good luck calling the police and having them respond. Sometimes they don't even bother coming, and the falsify their records to show that the resonded, etc. The police have been known to also walk away from a victim who wants to file a police report, so be very careful. I've seen cases of domestic violence with the woman having horrible bruising and the police just walking away. I had section 8, so i was stuck until the lease expired. You need to get outta there like right now. Break your lease if you have to. You could probably get your security deposit back if you take your landlord to tenant /landlord court and show proof that you are not safe in your own apartment/building. Take pictures of the plumbing problem, write a list of day to day plumbing problems. Notify the buildings department and the DOH if you feel that the problem problem is detrimental to your health. Also you didn't say what kind of plumbing problems you are having. If you have a problem in your toilet/bathroom sink then you run the risk for Methan gas poisoning which is sewage decomposition gases that can seep into your apartment is you have bad plumbing in your bathroom. You didn't say how much you was paying for your apartment, but there are other areas in Brooklyn with rents just as cheap and where you don't have to be afraid for your life. Sunset Park is a great neighborhood. most apartment are now 900-1200 for a 1 bedroom, but I've seen 2-bedroom being offered for 1,200. It's a great mix of people from asis, middle east, latin america, jewish.

Yea Im long outta ENY now im in university heights which isnt great but its much better than ENY.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:05 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,052,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
So I moved into my apartment her in ENY bout a month ago and I here gunshots every other night and im tired of it but then why do only 4 murders show up hmmmm?
Because every time they shoot they don't shoot 2 kill someone. Sometimes they just shoot to TEST their new TOY and other times they actually are using it and someone gets HURT or KILLED.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 PM

39 posts, read 375,181 times
East New York looks like quite a large area. I'm not familiar with the place and I have never been there.

What would you say are the best/worst spots on ENY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City