U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,229,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy 2 View Post
East New York looks like quite a large area. I'm not familiar with the place and I have never been there.

What would you say are the best/worst spots on ENY?
The worst spots are easily Linden Boulevard [due to all the housing projects] and the New Lots area [central and western ENY], and the safest spots are probably Starrett City, or City line near the Ozone Park border. Even then, it's a bad area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 AM
ako

140 posts, read 301,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The worst spots are easily Linden Boulevard [due to all the housing projects] and the New Lots area [central and western ENY], and the safest spots are probably Starrett City, or City line near the Ozone Park border. Even then, it's a bad area.
I was just looking at Linden Boulevard and other parts of East New York and honestly the area doesn't seem that bad to me, I've seen much more run-down places elsewhere.

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places..

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM

39 posts, read 439,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Thanks for the information DoomDan, I've just had a look around New Lots on Google Street View. This area certainly doesn't look like the type of place
I would choose to take my Grandmother for a picnic, this is for sure!!!! Even, on streetview it is clear that this area is the type of place that could be dangerous at any time of the day.

Having looked around this area in more detail, it seems to me that although ENY does have public housing developments, the neighboring Brownsville is filled with many more.

This leads me to wonder:

1/ Is Brownsville an even more dangerous area than ENY?

2/ Does ENY have more potential in the future as far as redevepment and improvements of the area are concerned?

3/ What can the city do to improve these neighbourhoods in the future?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,275,737 times
Quote:
I don't have any stats to back it up, but a while ago, we figured out on this board, that Brownsville was indeed the more dangerous neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
I was just looking at Linden Boulevard and other parts of East New York and honestly the area doesn't seem that bad to me, I've seen much more run-down places elsewhere.

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places..
Ako, keep looking around, you will see that many parts of the area look very bad. Although I guess different people have different perceptions of how an area looks. I get the feeling that the area must have improved somewhat since the 70's, 80's and 90's in terms of urban decay. However, I may be wrong.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I don't have any stats to back it up, but a while ago, we figured out on this board, that Brownsville was indeed the more dangerous neighborhood.
I thought that could be the case. In England (where I live) we have estates and public housing but there is nothing I have seen that could rival the sheer size and quantity of the public developments in Brownsville/ ENY. What seems to be the common trend in the US and I am guessing other countries too, is that most of a cities high crime areas are located within or next to public housing.

Could anyone tell me how Brownsville/ ENY's pblic housing developments match up (in terms of safety) to other public housing in America?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,029,010 times
Quote:
Yes. ENY is a huge neighborhood. You will find liveable areas in ENY as opposed to Brownsville, which is a smaller neighborhood and congested w/ dangerous housing projects.

Quote:
2/ Does ENY have more potential in the future as far as redevepment and improvements of the area are concerned?
ENY is too big and varied for any drastic change in redevelopment. One section is pretty much industrial, another seems to be filled with projects(which is adjacent to the industrial section) and other subsidized housing, and you will find small homes with a relatively well kept street in the area.

Quote:
3/ What can the city do to improve these neighbourhoods in the future?
First start from the bottom up. The city doesn't care unless there's a strong and unified voice that will seem as some threat to the current establishment. From there the city will take notice and do what they have to do.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

58 posts, read 240,538 times
From the early 80's up until the mid 90's the only reason why you would want to go to ENY is if you had a death wish, but nowadays while its still not the safest place in the world it's not as bad as some make it out to be either.

I wouldn't recommend living there.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM

144 posts, read 412,035 times
fulton street side(highland) aint bad and somewhat scenic

Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,916 times
yesss hunni its very dangerous if u need cheap rent maybe try another part of brroklyn or queens or bronx u would find something cheap nd the neighborhood wont be as bad as where u are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City