Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,629 times

Advertisements

visiting for only 2 nights and do not really know exactly where I should stay. Probably end up choosing brooklyn on priceline...just hope i dont get put in some shady area....

Looking for: artsy/hip areas-like Wicker Park for those that have been to Chicago.

I hear Williamsburg, Park Slope, Astoria are good spots...but are they to far from some of the touristy things to do (which i have no idea what to do either-I guess walk around Times Square would be one of them).....

thanks for the feedback everyone--

edit....couple in their mid to late 20's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Hotel prices in Manhattan are so low right now there is little point in staying in the boroughs unless you need to be in a particular neighborhood. If you only have two days, why waste your time on the train when you can be in Manhattan for $150 (or less) a night?

I have a friend who is a "Kimpton InTouch Member." They're offering a special and he found a room on Park Avenue for $81 a night.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Do you have a budget?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Budget would be around $125 tops a night (including taxes)...which i know...is pretty cheap...but i would usually stay at a hostel but they are all booked etc.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Williamsburg is only one stop from Manhattan on the train.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Williamsburg, Park Slope, Astoria aren't really known for hotels. If you get a Priceline hotel in Brooklyn you'll likely end up at JFK, which is not a nice area and a long trek into Manhattan, especially at night or on the weekend. NOTE: Priceline doesn't limit Brooklyn bids to a specific neighborhood, at least that I could see. If you're using Priceline anyway, I'd put in $100 for "Three Stars" in central Manhattan and see what comes up. There may be nothing in your price range, but it's worth a shot. Tourism is way down right now and a lot of places are desperate for customers.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
If you really want to stay in Williamsburg,which is understandable given your ages,there is a fairly new hotel there.I can't vouch for it because I don't know anyone who has ever stayed there but it looks pretty nice.It is called Hotel Le Jolie: *** Welcome to Hotel Le Jolie ***
Looks like the rooms are about $125

Beware that one side of the hotel faces and is very close to an extremely busy(noisy) elevated highway( The Brooklyn/Queens Expressway,aka the BQE).The other side faces Manhattan and probably has fantastic views of the city .So if you decide to ask for a reservation request a room that faces West on an upper floor,not east.

Williamsburg does have a busy art scene,lots of galleries, clubs,bars and restaurants.As a previous poster indicated, it is also very close to midtown on the subway.The hotel is close to the Bedford Ave stop on the L train.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-06-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 04:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Start reading the arts& leisure section of the NYTimes and the listings section of the New Yorker to see if there's a play or concert or club you want to visit.

Hmm, what would be fun for you to visit??? I would def. go to Times square at night--it's busy really late and that's fun.

There are all kinds of museums and stores and restaurants and neighborhoods.... You should take a look at a couple of guidebooks to point you in some direction, based on your interests.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM

bluedog--thanks for the info on the Jolie but all I am seeing are rates of $200+

Where did you find the $125 rate?

Thanks for all the info everyone!!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clacal1 View Post
bluedog--thanks for the info on the Jolie but all I am seeing are rates of $200+

Where did you find the $125 rate?

Thanks for all the info everyone!!
I used their calendar thing and put in some dates in about 2 weeks or so ... maybe April 18th.Didn't know when you were coming.If you are looking at the rates posted without the calendar you might just be seeing their "standard rate". Play with it and see what you come up with. Rates will vary on how far into future and other things. If you don't find a low enough rate call and ask them what their best rate is. Hotels will often not advertise their bottom rates but will give it if you are actually on the phone. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City