Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 PM

15 posts, read 33,676 times

Advertisements

I'm not from NYC. Will be staying there for the summer. I'm 28 years old. Actor. Student.

There is an apt. around Pratt on Dekalb Avenue. Anyone know much about this area? Is it a good area for me or anyone looking to get better acquainted with NYC? I'll need to be be in Manhattan every day. So, is it subway accessible?

Any feedback about the area is greatly appreciated.

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,379,050 times
This is a good area, as the area is situated around Pratt Institute. I'm surpised that you could find affordable rents in this area. The area is subway accessible.

To find out how to get around, here'sa great site for subway/bus information: HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC)

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM

I was surprised too. So, I'm jumping right on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 PM

283 posts, read 1,070,253 times
It really depends where on Dekalb it is... it's probably a four-mile long street. It's extremely trendy and beautiful in Fort Greene, near Flatbush Avenue and downtown Brooklyn, with lots of restaurants/bars/shops, and over that way is very accessible to tons of subway lines. Out near Pratt in Clinton Hill, it's still good, but less upscale and considerably less convenient to transit -- you're near the G train, which doesn't go to Manhattan and would require a transfer. Dekalb continues all the way through Bed-Stuy and into Bushwick, areas that are much more marginal. Do you have a cross-street? That would be helpful.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM

It's Dekalb at Tompkins Ave.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,872 times
I don't see why Fort Greene is so loved. I go to school in the area and I hate it. So many kids from my school get robbed from neighboring schools. A lot of people looking to start fights. I deffinitely don't feel safe coming back home at night, or even the day sometimes afterschool. I was robbed once on Dekalb Avenue and St. Felix street (right in front of the hospital).

It has nice brownstones and everything, but there's just too many rowdy kids (after 3oclock) on Lafayette Avenue, Dekalb avenue (near that park), and the area near Atlantic Terminal.

Maybe after the kids are gone, the area is nicer?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Hey Andez,

Rowdy kids looking to start fights is no problem. in fact, I kind of appreciate it. I'm a Golden Gloves boxer from Cleveland. I've also been robbed and jumped before. So, no big deal as long as it doesn't happen every hour.

I mainly want to make sure that I'm close to the subways.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodActorKeith View Post
Hey Andez,

Rowdy kids looking to start fights is no problem. in fact, I kind of appreciate it. I'm a Golden Gloves boxer from Cleveland. I've also been robbed and jumped before. So, no big deal as long as it doesn't happen every hour.

I mainly want to make sure that I'm close to the subways.
Haha that's cool. Show them they can't mess around with anyone they want.

But as for me, and a lot of people in my school, it's a problem! For some reason the cops always seem to show up when someones smoking weed or waiting for their friends at the corner, but never when there's a fight or someone getting robbed...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM

283 posts, read 1,070,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Maybe after the kids are gone, the area is nicer?
I haven't spent any time around there right after school, Andez, but it's a pretty good bet it's nicer when the kids are gone. From what I've heard, 7th Avenue in Park Slope also gets nuts when John Jay lets out, and nobody would dispute that's a pretty nice area.

As to the OP -- Dekalb and Tompkins is Bed-Stuy, no two ways about it. I wouldn't live there personally. Not very convenient to Manhattan, and will be especially tough to get home late at night, when you're relying on the famously-unreliable G train. It also could be a sketchy walk at night. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by implying it's some god-awful hellhole over there or anything, but it seems pretty rough to me and I wouldn't recommend it to someone unfamiliar with NYC. You're better off looking for an apartment share in a better neighborhood. What's your budget like?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm looking for something between $600 and $700 a month. I don't mind sharing with two or three people if necessary as long as I'm in a decent area...decent meaning mostly subway accessible to Manhattan. but also somewhere that I don't have to be constantly looking over my back if I happen to be walking home drunk late at night.

The people who are subletting it led me to believe that there are lots of artist types around there. I'm used to lower class urban areas. But I don't necessarily want to be avoiding gangs, crackheads, and muggers every night of the week. Is there a happy medium somewhere around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City