Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM

28 posts, read 79,075 times

Advertisements

OK why isnt anyone telling you not to move here unless you have a job? Have we forgotten about the recession and the economy!? I know education and healthcare and whatnot are on the rise but you should have a job before coming to the most expensive city in the country to live in. And enough money to get by for one or two months does not cut it buddy. My goodness. Trust me, I have been unemployed for a while and Im getting back in there soon, but it took me a few months to reland a job and I have a Masters and 7 years of working experience. Not to sound glum, and you might land a job right away, but please for god sake, get a job before you come here.
Things will just be so much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
You should not use NY addresses/phone numbers of somewhere you have never lived. If you are good you will get hired whether you live in Bayside or Beijing.

Your tip is not a good idea. Say I am an interviewer. Big Tex rolls up in cowboy boots with a 212 area code and a NY address headlining his resume. Since he lives in NY, I would scan his resume to see where he has worked, but only see cattle herder in Waco, oil salesman in Houston, etc. So he has never really lived in NY, and he is just pretending like he does just to get the job? Not a good way to build credibility and respect here. First impressions are everything. If I cant trust you to tell me the truth on an interview, what the @*#& makes you think I'll trust you as my employee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Here's a tip: To obtain a NYC area code, go to any store and buy a prepaid Tracfone. Activate the phone online with a NYC zip code and you'll get a NYC area code.

It's still pretty hard to fake it if you get an interview, but the address and phone number might give you a better shot at the interview.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWorks View Post
Hey Everybody,

Moving to NYC from Atlanta. Luckily for me, I have a place to stay and for a month or two, but I need a job. I finish my Master's Degree in May and I really want to work in Higher Education (the college scene).

I have seen great jobs at CUNY, Columbia, NYU, but I'm unsure of the best way to get on. Do any of you have any advice? Do any of you know how to get a job in Higher Education?

I appreciate any advice!
The best way to get a job at one of these colleges or universities is to have been an alumni of one of these schools or even better to have been an alumni and had experience working in the school. These jobs seem to be moreso than other fields to be about networking first then experience then education. Do you know anyone working at any of these schools?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
You should not use NY addresses/phone numbers of somewhere you have never lived. If you are good you will get hired whether you live in Bayside or Beijing.

Your tip is not a good idea. Say I am an interviewer. Big Tex rolls up in cowboy boots with a 212 area code and a NY address headlining his resume. Since he lives in NY, I would scan his resume to see where he has worked, but only see cattle herder in Waco, oil salesman in Houston, etc. So he has never really lived in NY, and he is just pretending like he does just to get the job? Not a good way to build credibility and respect here. First impressions are everything. If I cant trust you to tell me the truth on an interview, what the @*#& makes you think I'll trust you as my employee?
I don't think she'll have a problem as much in this field. In the education field working on the admin side, it is not uncommon for people to move around a bit. I know people that have worked all over the U.S in different admin posts in colleges and universities. It really does help to know a lot of people though all over the place. It's not like she's trying to work in a very NYC specific field like Finance or Fashion.

BTW OP, here are some links that might help in the meantime,

www.jobsinschool.com
www.academic360.com

Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I stated in my post (although I could have been clearer) that the OP should not lie about where (s)he lives. Having local contact information increases the chances of a callback, during which is perfectly truthful and reasonable to say, "I'm moving in a month, so I have started using my future address on my resume. I have also obtained a cellphone with a local number to make it easier to communicate with potential employers and others without long distance charges." I agree with you that the OP should be ready to fly here on very short notice, and it is important to communicate this to the potential employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City