U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this... please let me know if I'm posting incorrectly!

I'm wanting to move back to NYC and I'm trying to persuade my middle school teacher boyfriend to come with by offering some positive news about teaching in NYC.

He's a 6th and 7th grade teacher at a public school in south central L.A. He's got 7 years teaching under his belt, and is the school's history department chair. He has his masters, and is next-in-line to be the magnet department chair.

I'm not familiar with exact terminology, but I know he is accredited in California os obviously he would need to get accredited in NYC.

But, any general tips anyone? Can anyone tell me the average pay he's looking at? Any tips or info would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM

336 posts, read 243,001 times
Just realized i brought up a post from 07 lol. Sorry people, heres my answer any way.

My wife is a NYC public school teacher. Run for the hills. The job isn't what it used to be.
Pay depends on education. My wife will make over 100 grand but thats after 25 years. In 25 years from now not sure what 100,000 could buy. She currently makes about 50k. Heres a chart that shows pay. It pays for him to get his masters if he doesn't already have it. Doesn't matter how much teaching he has under his belt, he's going to have to start new here. No tenure, he has to earn that with evaluations.

http://schools.nyc.gov/nr/rdonlyres/...b/0/salary.pdf

Last edited by Brooklynorbust; 02-10-2016 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM

11,836 posts, read 7,723,311 times
NYC teachers make peanuts compare to other cities and states. You have to deal with more kids than other states and the pay isn't all that great and the weather here stinks sometimes that even on snow days you have to show up because the city expect you teachers to be daycare workers as the kids' parents have to go to work and must drop off their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or