Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,459 times

Advertisements

Ok so I am looking for some suggestions/help. I am planning on popping the question to my girlfriend while on vacation in NYC in June. I was thinking about doing it in Central Park but am open to suggestions from the ye natives on nice romantic settings in NY. As you can guess from my name I'm from Ireland and shall be spending a week in NYC - was planning on popping the questions and then hitting the diamond district to get the ring - any suggestions on a good jeweller would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Irishboyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,463 times
Central Park is nice in the summer so it is a good choice. Rockerfeller Center is nice too and it's close to the diamond district. One of the more romantic places is the River Cafe restaurant in Brooklyn. It's one of the top places for wedding proosals, but you will need to make reservations way in advance as it's always booked and make sure you tell them you plan on proposing and ask for a table with a water view. You will get a nice view of the East River, Brooklyn Bridge, and NYC skyline.

As for the ring - aren't you supposed to get the ring before you propose? Might be me, but i'm pretty sure that's how it works!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 36,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishboyo View Post
Ok so I am looking for some suggestions/help. I am planning on popping the question to my girlfriend while on vacation in NYC in June. I was thinking about doing it in Central Park but am open to suggestions from the ye natives on nice romantic settings in NY. As you can guess from my name I'm from Ireland and shall be spending a week in NYC - was planning on popping the questions and then hitting the diamond district to get the ring - any suggestions on a good jeweller would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Irishboyo
Hey...firstly have an early congratulations! Or comhgharideas(i notice ur irish!!)

Ive been to NY twice and the following are the places that I think are dead romantic.....or maybe I should rephrase that as the places I would love my boyfriend to propose to me!

Central park as the above poster said is gorgeous espically at nightime! Another place would be the ice rink in Rockfeller cntr (provided you can ice skate and wont fall on your ass!!)
Also top of the empire state building at night!
Theres loads of night cruises as well that nywaterways do!

In terms of restaurants i think Chez Josephine is a good place...its down in lower manhattan around the Hell's Kitchen district as far as i recall....if you google it im sure you'll get subway directions. I thought it was a beautiful place and kind of has a relaxing, romantic atmosphere....plus the cuisine is good!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by whatshername; 04-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention the cruise!!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 PM

201 posts, read 389,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
As for the ring - aren't you supposed to get the ring before you propose? Might be me, but i'm pretty sure that's how it works!
I would be really disappointed if my boyfriend picked out the ring all on his own. If this is a piece of jewelry I'm going to be wearing the rest of my life, I want some input on what it looks like. My jewelry tastes are very specific - never big bling (I find it gaudy) - more simple & elegant is my style. I don't even know that I'd want a diamond. OP, no suggestions on locations to propose (other than not on the Brooklyn Bridge after the recent stories about the guy who dropped the ring there), but I think going & picking out the ring together would be perfect!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Dont do that. Its too cliche and expected. Here is a suggestion from a pro. I usually charge for this advice but I will give it to you for free.

Take her around the city but propose in a place she will least expect it. Be original. I highly recommend something bizarre. You want to remember this and doing something that other people have done is not very memorable.

For example, you could take a ride on the poor man's yacht ride known as the Staten Island Ferry. The views are spectacular, but she will never expect it on a free commuter boat. Once you catch her offguard, you will have a bunch of loud native New Yorkers cheering for you. It will be the biggest rush of your life and you will feel like you swing the Mod cut: language in NY during your stay. At that moment your girl will be so hot for you that Central Park or some upscale restaurant will seem like childs play. She will tell all her friends and you will be the big cheese back in Ireland. Most importantly, she will never forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishboyo View Post

Thanks

Irishboyo

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-10-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 PM

257 posts, read 824,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Dont do that. Its too cliche and expected. Here is a suggestion from a pro. I usually charge for this advice but I will give it to you for free.

Take her around the city but propose in a place she will least expect it. Be original. I highly recommend something bizarre. You want to remember this and doing something that other people have done is not very memorable.

For example, you could take a ride on the poor man's yacht ride known as the Staten Island Ferry. The views are spectacular, but she will never expect it on a free commuter boat. Once you catch her offguard, you will have a bunch of loud native New Yorkers cheering for you. It will be the biggest rush of your life and you will feel like you swing the Mod cut: language in NY during your stay. At that moment your girl will be so hot for you that Central Park or some upscale restaurant will seem like childs play. She will tell all her friends and you will be the big cheese back in Ireland. Most importantly, she will never forget it.
I so agree with this post. I suggest asking a friend of hers to help you pick out a ring for her. I don't really see how you propose w/ out a ring...
p.s I'm female

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post

I agree also, S.I. Would be least expected, spectacular views, and very unique.

If you Were to stay more conventional, Id say The best part of Central Park is by far the Bethesda Terrace and Fountain Central Park Bethesda Terrace - CentralPark.com

I actually think you can row a small boat there too, right at that small lake.

**Note I dont agree though with the other poster, Central Park at Night? More like creepy. The Park is beautiful morning, daytime, even late evening, but nighttime I never found the park to be very safe, a lot of odd people looking for their nightly "camping grounds"

Also, Beautiful at all times, even at night (AND VERY Safe upscale neighborhood, view of Brooklyn Bridge, and the Manhattan Skyline, close to nice restaurants...... The Brooklyn Promenade Brooklyn promenade (And it is even more beautiful then in the pictures, It is a very romantic spot)

Other not so popular but just as beautiful, safe neighborhood more or less, but not for nighttime (Ft Tryon Park) (I saw a beautiful wedding here once) Fort Tryon Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

If it is indeed summer, a Very unique out of the clear blue yet playful spot (but very informal), for the very creative I guess...
I would have suggested Washington Square Park Fountain. Always cool people around. People run underneath the water, and sit on the stones in the middle, or on the steps, cooling off from the sun, very cool and young university neighborhood, a bit hippyish sometimes. But very friendly place.

However I havent been in awhile and hope the mayor, council, and parks dept haven't ruined the place too badly. With their new renovation/realignment plans.

Washington Square Park, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fountain Photo Gallery by Hubert Steed at pbase.com
New Plans for Washington Square Park Revealed! Again! -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

All depends on what typeof a guy you are and how she is, how formal, or "crazy" or wild, etc.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnez6 View Post
Note I dont agree though with the other poster, Central Park at Night? More like creepy. The Park is beautiful morning, daytime, even late evening, but nighttime I never found the park to be very safe, a lot of odd people looking for their nightly "camping grounds"
Really? Whereabouts? This has not been my experience at all! I find Central Park lovely at night. Of course, there's night, and there's night. Midnight would be pushing it, but 8:00-9:00 you'll find a lot of folks simply enjoying the park -- running, strolling, tossing frisbees, biking, walking their dogs, etc.

Quote:
Other not so popular but just as beautiful, safe neighborhood more or less, but not for nighttime (Ft Tryon Park) (I saw a beautiful wedding here once) Fort Tryon Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
How about The Cloisters (http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/the_cloisters - broken link)? It's located in beautiful Ft. Tryon Park near the northern end of Manhattan. It is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, housing its Medieval Collection. Its gardens, on a high bluff overlooking the Hudson River, are spectacular. Very romantic, and a bit off the beaten (and crowded) path of some of the other locations, such as the commuter ferry or Central Park (which can sometimes feel as busy as the city beyond.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:31 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Here are the results of a Google image search for The Cloisters. --> Click! <--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: