Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM

18 posts, read 114,650 times

Advertisements

I have an interview for a sales job that would has two choices for a territory: South Brooklyn, and Bronx.

I've been to NYC a few times but I can't say I've got a solid knowledge on all the boroughs. The only thing I know about the Bronx is Yankee Stadium and Jenny from the block. My only Brooklyn knowledge is that Jay-Z is from there

Any differences between the two places? It's a pharmaceutical sales job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Go with South Brooklyn its alot safer and much cleaner.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Duct Tape..I recommend checking out both locations BEFORE choosing, and definitely DO NOT take the advice of anyone on here, as everyone has their own personal agendas/vendattas/dysfunctions regarding the boroughs. If you would like a tour of the South Bronx I would be happy to show you around.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Since you are deciding where to choose a sales territory and not a place to live, I'd say go with the area with more and/or better customers (doctors I'd assume). You can live wherever you want to within a reasonable commute.

Both places have good and bad areas, rich, middle class and poor areas.

I live in South Brooklyn and from what I've seen, most of the medical practices are small, single-doctor offices. There are not many larger multiple-doctor practices like those found in the suburbs. There are several major medical centers (Maimonides, Beth Israel, Community Med Ctr., and Coney Island Hospital)

One other thing to consider is that both areas are very ethnically diverse and the local population of doctors tends to mirror it. In South Brooklyn, in addition to native-born Brooklynites, you will encounter a lot of Russian and Ukrainian immigrants as well as a significant number of Chinese plus various conservative Jewish populations as well.

SoBroGuy can comment on the Bronx -- he's truly an expert!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Damn if your going to be commuting all the way from connecticut to new york. I would have to say the bronx, as it is closer. South brooklyn is deep even too some brooklynites let alone coming all the way from north haven

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
This is a territory for work purposes correct? I don't think safety or cleanliness should matter much, it should be about what place works best in terms of making money. I assume your going to be working with a lot of small doctors offices and etc. Can't speak for South Brooklyn (I'm not the best with BK) but there are many in the South Bronx.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
South Brooklyn. There is a much higher chance of you getting assaulted or robbed in the Bronx than there is in Brooklyn. South Brooklyn is among the safest areas in NYC.

Don't take the chance.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
South Brooklyn. There is a much higher chance of you getting assaulted or robbed in the Bronx than there is in Brooklyn. South Brooklyn is among the safest areas in NYC.

Don't take the chance.
South Brooklyn can get gully too. As long as you stay away from Coney Island, Flatbush, and parts of Canarsie you are okay.
Red Hook is considered part of South Brooklyn stay away from area too.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
It really depends upon what part of The Bronx would be in the territory. If it's the Northern Bronx, that's not a bad area to consider, but if it's more located towards the South Bronx, well, that could give pause. There are areas around the hospitals that are not great, and if one is not as experienced with the density and type of neighborhood found in this area of The Bronx, it could be unsettling and might pose more of a risk.

If the comparison is between the geographic South Brooklyn, the only area that could be more dangerous would be Red Hook, though I doubt that you'd have much cause to go there for pharmaceutical sales. Other areas might be a little more economically disadvantaged, but might not pose an increased risk.

If you know more of the territories, it could be easier to make a comparison, but on the surface, I'd be more inclined toward South Brooklyn on the surface.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
By South Brooklyn what neighborhoods are we exactly talking about? I still say it's more about what place makes more business sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City