U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 21,576 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to N.Y. sometime between Jan. and April of next year. I'll be 18, I'm a partier and I'm moving there to start over and to get my acting career started.

Manhattan has everything I want,...so I've decided on there. Where in Manhattan would be a good place for me to live? I'd like Harlem but I've heard that it's bad at night. Can somebody fill me in on that?

Just looking for somewhere that's easy to get to Times Square and such. I like being in the middle of it all.

When the time comes, I'll be using Craigslist for a place. Looking to spend no more than $900 a month on rent (I'm prepared to have roomies).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
An 18 year old partier from Florida looking to start a new life in Harlem?
This sounds very familiar-from previous posts. Is there any reason you are set on Harlem? You will most likely have roommates and will they also be focused on Harlem?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
Yeah this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

18 year old.... Tampa, FL.....Harlem....$900 a month....

Where to begin?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Oh, good heavens!

Please, PLEASE, read up on this board about life in Manhattan. $900/month? Really?

Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDragon View Post
I'm moving to N.Y. sometime between Jan. and April of next year. I'll be 18, I'm a partier and I'm moving there to start over and to get my acting career started.

Manhattan has everything I want,...so I've decided on there. Where in Manhattan would be a good place for me to live? I'd like Harlem but I've heard that it's bad at night. Can somebody fill me in on that?

Just looking for somewhere that's easy to get to Times Square and such. I like being in the middle of it all.

When the time comes, I'll be using Craigslist for a place. Looking to spend no more than $900 a month on rent (I'm prepared to have roomies).

Thanks!
After a few months living here, you'll come to hate Times Square. Outside of the broadway theaters around there, most New Yorkers hate Times Square. It is mostly a cheesy tourist trap.

The hip neighborhoods for young people to hang out are all further down, i.e. the village, L.E.S., meatpacking district, chelsea, and in Brooklyn.

As for the rent, if your willing to get roomates, you have access to a lot of neighborhoods.

I think the L.E.S. would be a good fit for you. It is artsy, and there are a lot of fun things to do at night, and that neighborhood also has a lot of young people that live with roomates.

Since you specifically asked about Harlem, I'll tell you that the safety at night varies depending on the area. Some people on this forum will tell you to completely write off Harlem. I think you would be doing yourself and your wallet a disfavor by doing that. Just make sure to do your research. I think you can be just fine in Harlem and find a nice apartment. Be sure to find one near an express train line. That way you will have easy access to downtown.

Generally anywhere in NYC, if your are out at night especially by yourself you have to be careful. People get mugged downtown all the time as well. Since you are new to the city, never get wasted and go home by yourself. It will make you an easy mark for muggers. If you are by yourself, take a cab home.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Oh, good heavens!

Please, PLEASE, read up on this board about life in Manhattan. $900/month? Really?
He mentioned he is looking to live with roomates. With roomates it is possible.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
NYC is generally safe, but everywhere you go precautions are in order. $900 with room-mates, in the plural, sounds reasonable. Harlem, I wonder why?

I'd like to be closer to Mid-town if I were thinking of an acting career. Most of the theatre crowd is either Mid-town, or in the Villages (Greenwich, East, etc). Most of the acting teachers are either on the West Side, or Downtown.

Of course, there are lots of subway trains and buses, but it would be so much easier to be able to walk to a class, or a job than take public transportation.

Check out the Actors Studio, or the theatre school at New York University, for more info and possible room-mates.

And of course, good luck and break a leg!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,576 times
No need to rip me to shreds [in reference to the first few people]. Thanks to NY and ontheroad for the advice.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Your welcome. Sometimes you get a tough audience (especially in NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDragon View Post
No need to rip me to shreds [in reference to the first few people]. Thanks to NY and ontheroad for the advice.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM

6,268 posts, read 15,501,681 times
If you're into Harlem be sure to check out any apartment/roommate matching services offered by Columbia University. Many Columbia students live in Harlem and a group of 3 may be looking for a 4th to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or