U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 PM

77 posts, read 198,244 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was just reading a thread in which a few people said that white people can get some strange looks in Harlem sometimes and only go in the day. This seems odd to me.

I'm multi-racial and very ambiguous looking. Some think I'm half black, white, half Asian, Hispanic, Native American...none of which is right, but whatever. I grew up in multi-racial, Mexican, and white neighborhoods. Are there neighborhoods that I should stay away from when moving to NY or that you recommend? I feel comfortable as long as I'm not being eyed-out or mugged. But I don't want to go someplace where people are going to yell at me on a daily basis I never thought I'd have to ask this question, but apparently it's a thing?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM

103 posts, read 356,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llgg View Post
Hi,
I was just reading a thread in which a few people said that white people can get some strange looks in Harlem sometimes and only go in the day. This seems odd to me.

I'm multi-racial and very ambiguous looking. Some think I'm half black, white, half Asian, Hispanic, Native American...none of which is right, but whatever. I grew up in multi-racial, Mexican, and white neighborhoods. Are there neighborhoods that I should stay away from when moving to NY or that you recommend? I feel comfortable as long as I'm not being eyed-out or mugged. But I don't want to go someplace where people are going to yell at me on a daily basis I never thought I'd have to ask this question, but apparently it's a thing?

Thanks.
NYC is too big to make such a list as is. Have a job lined up, figure out how much you're willing to spend for rent, and how long you're willing to travel.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 AM

706 posts, read 3,426,182 times
I can't think of any neighborhood you should stay away from because you're multi-racial.

There are neighborhoods that are undesirable for the same reasons they'd be undesireable anywhere for anybody.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM

77 posts, read 198,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
I can't think of any neighborhood you should stay away from because you're multi-racial.

There are neighborhoods that are undesirable for the same reasons they'd be undesireable anywhere for anybody.
Thanks for your input. It seemed odd to me that white people would get strange looks in Harlem. Maybe it's a feeling coming from within? I don't know, but I was considering Harlem and some people may think I'm white (well, I am half Irish), so...? I don't think I'll worry about this too much. Just trying to figure out if it's like Hunter's Point in SF. Besides, I've never seen a congregation of multi-racial people in any city--usually just scattered around like everybody else. So funny to me when I hear people saying "I'm looking for a (fill in ethnicity) neighborhood" Well I'm looking for an Irish/Hawaiian/Japanese neighborhood...know any of those?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,209,582 times
Try Woodside in Queens. It use to be a big Irish neighborhood, but today is very ethnically mixed.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,267,642 times
White people don't get strange looks in Harlem. There are plenty of white people that live in Harlem now. The area has come a long way in the past few years.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
White people don't get strange looks in Harlem. There are plenty of white people that live in Harlem now. The area has come a long way in the past few years.
I don't know about white people in Harlem, but niche communities around the city still do a double take when you're not one of them. Not that they mug you, but they do stare. An Asian friend of mine was exploring the non-Hipster part of Williamsburg and she was stared out of a Hispanic restaurant by the local clientele. I'm not saying it was anyone's fault but it happens.

Jackson Heights, Woodside, and Elmhurst are one of the most diverse areas in the world, but even though all kinds of people get off on the same train stop doesn't mean you live in the same area. Everyone has their own little cocoons. Someone can get off on Woodside but really live in Maspeth where there's a lot of middle-class whites. Someone who gets off on Jackson Heights and just walks along Roosevelt Avenue wouldn't imagine the coops and middle-class homes on the other avenues that are 10-15 minutes away.

New Yorkers are a lot friendlier than some people think, but it doesn't hurt to keep your eyes open.

Last edited by qjane82; 04-16-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 AM

9,007 posts, read 14,775,595 times
A lot of what you're saying about white people and Harlem was true of the NYC of 30-35 years ago, when the City was crime ridden and bankrupt, the subways had graffiti, "white flight" was rampant and people were moving out of this vast area in general as fast as people are today from Detroit.

While there are certainly areas where a certain group of people make up almost the absolute population and where you might get a funny look (this is even true to some extent for say a "modern Orthodox" Jew who wears a yarmulke and walks through a neighborhood of Hasidim), a lot (certainly not all, but a lot) of racial/ethnic lines have broken down, we are more "mixed" (certainly ethnically and in small but growing degrees racially) than we use to be and we are in more direct contact with and tolerant of people of other colors, religions, ethnicities, etc. This is true even in some rural areas (at least the ones with a more "liberal" political reputation.....did you know that one of the "whitest" states in America (VT) gave Obama one of the largest margins of any state?) and I think there is little fear of any violence anymore.

So I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you look "either way" in your physical appearance. Also some parts of Harlem have a small white population now as well so it's not so unusual.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Also some parts of Harlem have a small white population now as well so it's not so unusual.
This is true but there is still a culture clash. A few months ago there was an article in the NYT about how white middle class people living in coops in Harlem had trouble dealing with the drum noise that was being made on the park across the street. It was tricky because the white people were new to the neighborhood, and they didn't know that this was a tradition in the community.

I've ventured in only a few other areas of the country and I have to say NYC is the most mixed area with such inclusiviness but that doesn't mean race doesn't come up. I personally don't think it's race as much as values. A friend of mine lives in the East Village and she's annoyed by the noise the bars' patrons make. I have another friend who's Jamaican and he's looking for a house. He's looking for a community that he knows will tolerate his cookouts with loud music.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 AM

750 posts, read 2,182,508 times
Most neighborhoods in Queens are pretty diverse, but Astoria is probably the most diverse and accepting of all races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City