Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
I wouldn't call a rapper who moves out of his or her hood a sell out, as long as they come back, and contribute something to the community, and I can't blame them for moving out, no matter how popular they may be, if they got something that someone else want's, they'll get got just like the rest of us...
Now J-Lo is someone I consider a sellout, you never see her come back to the neighborhood, or rep her puerto rican pride unless it's a situation that will directly benefit her (record sales or promote a new movie)
Ditto on J-Lo, most of the time she doesn't even play Latinas in her movies, and most of her die-hard fans are Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Remy Ma lol, she's probably a bad example. She never really left the hood, and that's a big part of why she's in jail now. I think it's unrealistic to expect some of these guys to come back to their hoods. It would be great for them to help people from their neighborhoods with some sort of charity activity, but a lot of times people feel like they are owed something or that the neighborhood is owed something and I don't agree with that.
Mod cut: TOS violationNobody with money or that ppl think has money is chilling in the hood unless you are dumb @ss Jim Jones that got the whole project on payroll protecting him. Remy is a hood rat!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-14-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Jim Jones doesnt go to Harlem the only time he was in harlem I saw him walking with like 6 bodyguards and this crew was about to get into a brawl with jones.........but santana still comes everybody in harlem likes santana.
Co-Sign...My friend from HS who used to live in East River Houses says he seen Camron all the time when he used to visit his baby's mother in Harlem. Don't forget about The Lox (Jadakiss, Styles P, Sheek Louch) are said to be in Yonkers on the regular (they even opened a Car Wash "D-Block Car Wash" in the area). Some Wu-Tang members can still be seen on occassion in Staten Island and BK (i.e. Ghostface, GZA, Raekwon, U-God, etc)...So yeah some come through to their 'hoods, but generally most don't think twice.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Co-Sign...My friend from HS who used to live in East River Houses says he seen Camron all the time when he used to visit his baby's mother in Harlem. Don't forget about The Lox (Jadakiss, Styles P, Sheek Louch) are said to be in Yonkers on the regular (they even opened a Car Wash "D-Block Car Wash" in the area). Some Wu-Tang members can still be seen on occassion in Staten Island and BK (i.e. Ghostface, GZA, Raekwon, U-God, etc)...So yeah some come through to their 'hoods, but generally most don't think twice.

The Real rappers show love to their hood a matter of fact ive seen every single one of those guys in concert.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,369 times
jadakiss, styles p & sheek stay in yonkers... they never even left the hood lol. but they're the only rappers i really see around.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
On a summer night, you're liable to see rappers anywhere in NYC.

I saw Foxy in a T-Mobile store in Brooklyn.

Juelz was on Jamaica Ave a few months ago.

But then too...

Jay Z is another story. He's a multimillion dollar business man who has no business in Marcy Projects.
What da hell is he gonna do at Marcy Projects? What would be his business there?

Fifty ain't hanging out on SouthSide. Why would he?

If they have any real money, they're not "hanging" in the hood.

They've moved to another economic class and have new friends and colleagues and new places to go and hang.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Isn't Jim Jones scared to death of walking around Harlem because of Tru Lyfe?

Not NYC, but I remember seeing T.I. in Atlanta..

Anyway.. people move all the time, how could you consider a rapper that moves out of the hood a sell-out? The only people who think that are the ones who live in the neighborhood, and are jealous, because that person is making a lot of money, and they're not.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
The Real rappers show love to their hood a matter of fact ive seen every single one of those guys in concert.
Seeing someone in concert isn't exactly the same thing as seeing them hanging out on the corner.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
BallerStatus.com » Mims Not From New York? Get The Outta Here

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-15-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Seeing someone in concert isn't exactly the same thing as seeing them hanging out on the corner.

Ive seen those guys in person in the streets also for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City