Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,372 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with my mother & boyfriend in about a month or two over to the bx on grand concourse. I've been around the bx many times & have many friends over there but I'm not too familiar with this area besides just driving through & going to Yankee games. We haven't found a place yet, but my mother wants to be around 160th - 180th & I also believe she was thinking about Walton from 161st - 164th. What blocks would you recommend & which ones would you say are the worst? Any side streets to stay away from? I want straight up answers & none of that [mod]stuff[/mod] about how they are trying to make the bx nicer and how its becoming such a good neighborhood. I know what kind of crime goes on in the bx & I know it's not great, but neither is Yonkers where I live. I'm mostly worried about my mother walking by herself at night, I don't want anyone to bother her. Oh & does anyone know what the rent might be for a 2 bedroom? Or any good sites to find apartments, besides craigslist? Any info is helpful =]

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-15-2009 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
As long as you do not go on the side blocks. You will be okay. The Concourse above 170th street gets pretty bad.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
As long as you do not go on the side blocks. You will be okay. The Concourse above 170th street gets pretty bad.
Yeah, Walton is not that nice of a strip. The Concourse and it's sideblocks above 170th are rough.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

43 posts, read 102,313 times
Hello there! I grew up at Georgian Court on 180th street and Grand Concourse. I live in New Jersey now but my Parents and I keep the apartment. There are pockets of buildings that are georgeous. Some are covered in grafitti and some have furnished lobbies. I take it that you are Dominican (which I am) so what are your priorities? My family chose to stay because the Apartment had more square footage than some private homes as well as 13 foot ceilings, Not to mention the money we saved as a middle class family living on the concourse we had very few expenses growing up. Today our 3 bedroom still rents for under 700 a month and basic groceries are very inexpensive (of course for gourmet groceries we go downtown as do people in Harlem and the Heights). The express bus takes you on a quiet comfortable ride straight from your building to 5th Avenue. Living on the Concourse gave us the opportunity to live in luxury and save money for my sister and I to go to private schools, travel, remain active members of the New York Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo, Wave Hill, BX Museum and even purchase a Vacation home in Puerto Rico as well as maintain my Fathers plantation in the Dominican Republic. In fact the only reason I live in NJ is because I was offered a fantastic career opportunity and my partner is a suburban boy who doesn’t understand living in the city… Good Luck! I hope that this growing and slowly gentrifying community will be an apartment dwellers dream for you and your family!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric of Grand Concourse View Post
Hello there! I grew up at Georgian Court on 180th street and Grand Concourse. I live in New Jersey now but my Parents and I keep the apartment...... My family chose to stay because the Apartment had more square footage than some private homes as well as 13 foot ceilings, Not to mention the money we saved as a middle class family living on the concourse we had very few expenses growing up. Today our 3 bedroom still rents for under 700 a month and basic groceries are very inexpensive (of course for gourmet groceries we go downtown as do people in Harlem and the Heights)....... Living on the Concourse gave us the opportunity to live in luxury and save money for my sister and I to go to private schools, travel, remain active members of the New York Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo, Wave Hill, BX Museum and even purchase a Vacation home in Puerto Rico as well as maintain my Fathers plantation in the Dominican Republic......
Wait until Victor sees this ! You are gonna be in big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City