Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,938 times

Advertisements

1. Keep the car. There are plenty of garages.

2. Come to NYC and look at neighborhoods ( i.e. Riverdale/UWS/UES) before you commit to anything.

3. I honestly think you would be happier with a one bedroom since you don't want to be living like a college student. You can certainly afford to stretch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 PM

17 posts, read 314,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYULIB View Post
1. Keep the car. There are plenty of garages.

2. Come to NYC and look at neighborhoods ( i.e. Riverdale/UWS/UES) before you commit to anything.

3. I honestly think you would be happier with a one bedroom since you don't want to be living like a college student. You can certainly afford to stretch it.
Thanks again. It does seem that garages are quite expensive in the city (UES, UWS) however; Ideally I'd be staying near the subway, in the UES, with a reasonably priced garage nearby thus giving me the option to take public transport or car as needed to montefiore.
Do you think I should go through a broker (everyone seems to say no to that) or through something like craigslist or ny times?
much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Frankly, I wouldn't even think of taking the subway to work at Montefiore. You can't even GET to the North division by subway and one of the campuses requires a subway then a bus. Make life easy on yourself: get a place in Riverdale and use your car.

Edited to add: try a broker then negotiate. Many are now advertising 'no fee' or 'landlord pays fee.'

Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 PM

thanks. as far as enjoying the city, is it possible to do so, when I do have time, if I were to live in Riverdale?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychmd View Post
Which hospital will you be at? Montefiore? Jacobi?

I dated an Einstein resident for a while, she lived in Riverdale and drove to both hospitals. It took about 10-15 minutes to get to Monte and about 30-40 mins to get to Jacobi via the parkways (which are beautiful drives). That's with traffic.

Riverdale's a nice little area. Not anything like Manhattan (not even UWS or UES), but much more convenient for getting to the Bronx hospitals. I'd definitely recommend it for your purposes.
Thanks for the response. Living in Riverdale, however, will I be able to get out and enjoy Manhattan/the rest of NYC when I do have time off/weekends off? How much of a hassle would it be to get into the city from Riverdale?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 PM

38 posts, read 48,850 times
It's about 45 minutes (I think I'm including my walking time in that calculation - the subway stop is in Kingsbridge, not Riverdale - there are buses that will take you to the subway stop though if you are averse to a 10 minute walk) on the 1 to 96th where you can jump onto the express trains and get to to midtown in about 10-15 minutes or so. Or you can switch at 168 to the A train which will shave a bit of time (not sure exactly how much, I usually just stayed on the 1 b/c I didn't like having to take the elevator at 168th). If you want to play on the UES you can get off at 96th or 79th and take a crosstown bus. There are also express buses from Riverdale ($5 per ride) that will take you all the way to 34th, one down the east side and one down the west. On weekdays they leave like every 10 minutes or so, not sure about weekends.

Driving to UWS via the Henry Hudson Parkway (9A) down the west side of Manhattan is relatively quick (like 15-20 mins to the 79th St exit on weekends when there isn't much traffic, I've never driven on it around rush hour so dunno what that's like). You can usually find street parking on weekends if you're willing to circle around for a bit, the east-west streets have alternate side parking so you don't need to keep feeding the meters. Or you can just find a garage, not sure how much they cost, but prob somewhere around $20 a day.

So overall it's not hard to get down to Manhattan, just takes a little time.

Last edited by psychmd; 05-19-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychmd View Post
It's about 45 minutes (I think I'm including my walking time in that calculation - the subway stop is in Kingsbridge, not Riverdale - there are buses that will take you to the subway stop though if you are averse to a 10 minute walk) on the 1 to 96th where you can jump onto the express trains and get to to midtown in about 10-15 minutes or so. Or you can switch at 168 to the A train which will shave a bit of time (not sure exactly how much, I usually just stayed on the 1 b/c I didn't like having to take the elevator at 168th). If you want to play on the UES you can get off at 96th or 79th and take a crosstown bus. There are also express buses from Riverdale ($5 per ride) that will take you all the way to 34th, one down the east side and one down the west. On weekdays they leave like every 10 minutes or so, not sure about weekends.

Driving to UWS via the Henry Hudson Parkway (9A) down the west side of Manhattan is relatively quick (like 15-20 mins to the 79th St exit on weekends when there isn't much traffic, I've never driven on it around rush hour so dunno what that's like). You can usually find street parking on weekends if you're willing to circle around for a bit, the east-west streets have alternate side parking so you don't need to keep feeding the meters. Or you can just find a garage, not sure how much they cost, but prob somewhere around $20 a day.

So overall it's not hard to get down to Manhattan, just takes a little time.

thank you very much ! It seems that if i were in the spuyten duyvil area, I would be able to take the train down in about 30 minutes to grand central, which isn't bad.... much appreciated.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Yeah.. I was stuck making a measly $400K as a doctor in NYC, I had to leave to live in Oklahoma because the $7000/month I had for spending money wasn't enough to last for a week.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidokc View Post
Yeah.. I was stuck making a measly $400K as a doctor in NYC, I had to leave to live in Oklahoma because the $7000/month I had for spending money wasn't enough to last for a week.
Reviving old posts just to be snarky? 10k take home with 4-5k tied up in debt? Then dealing with having a car? If that was 10k straight, yeah it's grounds to laugh, but the dude has debt, a car to deal with, and wants to put away 2k a month which is really small compared to what you think a Dr should be able to put away. Commenting on a 2 year old post, wow.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
I just bought a condo in the Financial District, I am also MD work for hospital with earnings around
165K, I have no car--and love living in NYC. I was able to get much more for my money in the FD than in other parts of the city, I am less than a block from the subway, and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City