U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 AM

14 posts, read 36,186 times

Advertisements

Where are they going and spending their money? Which are the swankiest bars where it's more about being seen than having a good time. I am looking to visit New York and want to meet some famous people. Sorry for being completely pretentious but I come from a place where we don't have celebrities.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
Meet? You might see celebrities, but meet them? Unlikely.

Hang around SoHo - Spring Street and that area.

On the other hand, I was walking my dog a while back on East 73rd Street and Tim Curry came up, dropped his shopping bag and greeted my dog for a good five minutes. It turns out he LOVES pugs.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 AM

939 posts, read 3,082,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80schild View Post
Where are they going and spending their money? Which are the swankiest bars where it's more about being seen than having a good time. I am looking to visit New York and want to meet some famous people. Sorry for being completely pretentious but I come from a place where we don't have celebrities.

Cheers
Gawker Stalker

Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,242,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Meet? You might see celebrities, but meet them? Unlikely.

Hang around SoHo - Spring Street and that area.

On the other hand, I was walking my dog a while back on East 73rd Street and Tim Curry came up, dropped his shopping bag and greeted my dog for a good five minutes. It turns out he LOVES pugs.
I ran into Edie Falco walking her dog before when I used to work in Tribeca. She was pretty nice, but I think Tony Soprano could do better considering he was the boss

Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,936,915 times
Unless you're a 23 year old anorexic model, or the doorman knows you work on Wall Street, it's very hard to get into those place, i.e., past the red velvet rope. Also, ultra trendy bars are notoriously fickle and transient. What's cool this week is hopelessly lame next week.

Manhattan is crammed with celebrities and pseudo-celebrities. I see them all the time. They're sometimes hard to spot because they tend to dress down so as not to attract undue attention. If you see some commotion on the street, it's more likely to be a minor, reality show personality than a real star.

The number one rule in New York: Don't gawk or fuss over a celebrity (it's very tacky). You can smile and nod, but them move on.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 AM

14 posts, read 36,186 times
That is good advice. Trust me I'm not one of those people that makes everyone else cringe while I try and get autographs. I can't stand that. Would just be cool to say I was in a bar and saw such and such

Old 04-22-2009, 04:21 PM

493 posts, read 523,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

The number one rule in New York: Don't gawk or fuss over a celebrity (it's very tacky). You can smile and nod, but them move on.
This is tacky no matter where you are, but it never stops people from doing it.

I agree; a smile, nod, or simple gesture of recognition is all the attention a grownup should give if one ever finds themselves nose to nose with a "celebrity" (in quotes on purpose...we're not talking about heads of state or royalty here...most of these people don't deserve any more respect than the average person IMO.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City