U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 13,634 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My friend and I are going to New York for the Summer, and we are looking for jobs. We have all the papers, visas and everything, so we're all legal and above board. Also, we're not your typical Irish students that come over, we actually want to experience some NYC culture and life there. We are willing to work at basically ANYTHING!! (Well that's legal!!) Does anybody have any info on where to start? I've been looking on craigslist.com for the last few months, but not really getting replies back, because they're looking for full time staff. Also if anyone knows anything about accommodation in Manhattan? We're not really interested in living in a big Irish community! Don't get me wrong, I love being Irish, but seeing that we're only here for a few months, we want to experience the real NY life!! Our budget is pretty limited, so a studio/1 bed would probably do us.
OK, Go raibh maith agat!
Slán!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,539,622 times
There are lots of unemployed New Yorkers who'd like to work at anything, too, so competition would be tough. What is your budget? Your best bet is to sublet an apartment, because leases are for one year, most of the time.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM

See I'm not really sure, how much is your average studio/ 1 bed? Also are there places in Manhattan that we really should avoid?? I know there's going to be loads of competition, but the fact that we're qualified and have a degree help us any bit? Also we can speak languages. If I knew where to start looking, even that would be a great help! Also are the resorty areas like Long Island etc., how far away are they from the city centre?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 AM

203 posts, read 616,302 times
why not just save some money and come to New York without working?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM

479 posts, read 1,292,815 times
Anywhere in Manhattan will be fine. Harlem and Washington Heights still have crime issues, especially drug problems. As far as crime to you, the main issue is robbery. But you can get robbed anywhere so be careful with your surroundings. But is not a constant danger as you might think. Although again, I will be more aware of my surroundings in Harlem and North of Manhattan. But it has is gentrification going on and you can probably find the cheapest rents in Manhattan. But if you can afford, you should consider living somewhere in the East Village where young people get attracted to. But it is expensive. Also Williamsburg in Brooklyn is an extension of the East Village and you might consider. Bushwick in Brooklyn is another of those new gentrifying neighborhoods right next to Williamsburg. But again you have to take extra caution there. Especially at night. But rents are cheaper there in comparison and plenty of new young people have moved there. Not the prettiest area in Brooklyn, but young people seem to like it. The prettiest areas in Brooklyn are as expensive as some neighborhoods in Manhattan. Like Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carrol Gardens and Fort Green.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 AM

Because I have no savings!! I'm a full time student here in Ireland, and anyway things are pretty grim jobs-wise over here, so even if I had the time to work I wouldn't be able to get one!! So nobody over there in New York knows where to tell me to start looking???

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Ok thanks Mekitor!! That's helped a lot!!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

169 posts, read 390,965 times
try any of the beach clubs near Long Beach, they usually hire loads of irish for the summer, you can get into Manhattan in 50 minutes.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 31,589 times
Hey im irish aswell will be moving either NY or chicago soon though not for summer work.

You should try the irish bars if you have contacts. I know you mentioned that you dont want to be in the exclusively irish areas but really thats were you might have a better chance of getting a job...espically if your a J1'er which im presuming you are. PM me if you want info on good bars that you may get a job in or if you want info on the irish areas if you change your mind again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City