Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 12:52 PM

503 posts, read 598,283 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I will be starting a new job in the Bronx starting July 1. I was wondering of what is the best way to find an apartment in the upper east side/Harlem? Through brokers/no fee/craigslist? I would preferably like a studio and budget around $1700-1800 if possible.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I'd start with Craigslist. Not sure if your budget is realistic. Are you young enough that you might consider a roommate?

Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Hey there!

You are set. There are tons of decent studio and one bedroom apartments in upper Manhattan in your price range, that will get you quickly to the Bronx via the subway. Skip Craig's List. That place is scam central. May I suggest you download the Trulia app or visit their website. Type in an upper Manhattan zip code like 10030 into their map and see what is around. Find a few places and contact the broker. Expect them to ask you for a 15% of yearly rent broker fee, but you can often negotiate that down to a month's rent. Some are no fee.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Streeteasy.com is also very good. I believe it's owned by Trulia. Also, Curbed.com has great information about renting in NYC. Just make sure you are in the NYC portion of Curbed, because there are other locations.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM

484 posts, read 560,971 times
Congratulations on your new job -- you'll learn a lot about NY in looking for an apartment.

I just successfully concluded a search for my new home, and this is what I learned:

You need to know what the most important things are for you in an apartment -- what you will/won't compromise on.

You've identified:
a. budget
b. commute
c. studio or 1 bedroom

Important to be clear about what you will/won't consider, so that you can focus your search. You will have to compromise on some or all of this, it's wise to know what are your make/break issues.

Do you care about:

a. safety? How late will you be coming home? Look up the address at NYC Maps | City of New York and check out the crime map. Also, go to the location at the latest time you'd be coming home on a weekend/weeknight.
b. size of the apartment -- if you can lie in bed and touch all four walls, is that too small? Measure your current apartment so you know how much square footage you're used to living in -- if you're new to NY, you will be amazed at the size and configuration of apartments you'll see (bathtubs in the kitchen, entry directly into the kitchen, entry into a bedroom, etc., etc.)
c. distance from supermarkets/dry cleaners/stores?
d. distance from subway?
e. being too far from the subway to walk -- having to take a bus to the subway?
f. stairs -- fourth floor walkup? Fifth floor walk up?
g. maintenance? If the apartment clearly has repairs needed when you view it, take it as a sign that the repairs will be an issue when you live there. Cracks in the walls, broken windows, poor paint, etc.
h. What era the kitchen and bathroom date from? 1960s? 1950s? 1940s?
i. Is there laundry in the building? Or are you going to be marching your dirty clothes to the laundromat? If yes, how far away is that?
j. Parks, trees, nearness of green spaces?
k. Is it in a flood zone? Check that at NYC Maps | City of New York and check out the evacuation zones
l. Rats? Check out whether the building was cited for rats at Welcome to NYC.gov | City of New York
m. Is there a super on-site? Or who does the repairs if not?
n. Mice? Cockroaches? Look in the refrigerator, corners and closets If you see obvious rodent signs (mouse poop, dead cockroaches) is that a problem?
o. parking? Garage at the building? commercial garage in the neighborhood? street parking only?
p. Condition of the building itself -- is the front door locked? Do the bells/buzzer work? Is the elevator broken? Is there water on the floor of the lobby or other obvious signs of poor maintenance? Where is the garbage room? Laundry room? I always tried to get the realtor to show me those as well as the apartment if I was seriously interested.
q. Heat or maintenance complaints against the landlord or that building with the city. If the landlord doesn't provide heat now, chances are good that won't chance when you move into the building.
r. Bars/Clubs/Drug Dealers: How close are these to your apartment? If you like to club/drink having them close might be a positive. If you use drugs, having an active drug dealer close could be a plus. If not, that might be a problem.

Once I had a good idea of what were crucial variables for me, I started researching neighborhoods, and looking on websites that had listings in my preferred neighborhoods.

I was searching five websites four times a day:
Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values
Trulia: Real Estate Listings, Homes For Sale, Housing Data
New York City Real Estate | StreetEasy
www.zumper.com
Apartments for Rent in New York City, Including No Fee Rentals | Naked Apartments

occasionally craigslist, but usually the best things were on the others (at least for what was important to me in an apartment)

When I saw something that fit my criteria, immediately responded AS INSTRUCTED by the person who placed the listing. Some realtors only want texts, others only want emails, some (few) will only take phone calls.

Things that realtors want to know about you in your first contact:
a. You are employed and make at least 40x the rent, and can prove it with paystubs (some will accept a letter of employment, others not).
b. How long you've been employed (longer is better than shorter) Since you're moving to NYC, good to discuss your past employment/school history so that if something should happen to this job, you've got skills and can quickly get hired elsewhere. Landlords don't care about your emotional needs -- they want the rent promptly and in full.
c. Your credit score (the higher the better) If your credit score needs work, have a believable explanation of what you are doing to change that situation. Some landlords won't consider you below their magic number, no matter what you say.
d. Why you are looking now, where you are living now, and how long you've been there.
e. Any legal issues in housing court -- have you been evicted in the past, had legal disputes with landlords in the past?
f. Do you smoke? (most prefer non-smokers)
g. Do you have pets? (most prefer non-pet owners)
h. Who, if anyone, will be living in the apartment with you? (landlords want quiet people who will stay employed, be clean, quiet and not cause any hassles with other tenants or the police)

After you talk your way into seeing the apartment, keep in mind that you're usually going up against several other people for the same space. As we get further into the summer, the number of people you will be competing with for any given apartment goes up.

Put together your "package" and take it with you so that if you see the apartment of your dreams, you can immediately give hard copy to the realtor to secure your chances of getting the apartment.

What should be in your package:
a. The most recent 2-3 Federal tax returns;
b. Your most recent 3-6 month's pay stubs;
c. Most recent 2-3 month's bank statements, showing balances that you can pay three month's rent up front to secure apartment (realtor's fee, first month's rent, one month security deposit). Some landlords want two or more month's deposit.
d. Name and contact information for your current landlord
e. Name and contact information for your current employer
f. Some want an employment letter on letterhead from your current employer, with your salary and years of employment in that position
g. Name and contact for 2-3 character references
h. If you are going to be using guarantors to back up your ability to pay the rent, someone else will have to speak to what should be here, as I don't know about what landlords want to see from guarantors.

What you should take with you to see the apartment:
a. The listing (read it over several times to check and see how much of what is there is true, and how much they "forgot" to mention).
b. If the size of the apartment is important to you, get an industrial tape measure at a hardware store and learn how to figure square footage. Realtors don't measure it, and often the square footage is misrepresented in the listing.
c. small flashlight (for looking in closets, bathrooms, etc. if the apartment has limited light or the bulbs are "missing").
d. Notebook and pen so that you can write down anything at the spot that you see. You think you'll remember everything, but if you are looking at several apartments a day for weeks, they will all blend together.

I kept a log of every listing I contacted, including the name/contact info for realtors, price of apt, location of apt, size of apt and any of the other variables that were important to me.

Be ready for realtors not to answer your texts/emails/calls -- be persistent, sometimes I had to call six or seven times to get through. Be ready for realtors to completely not show up. Be ready for the apartment to totally not match the description. Be ready with plan B if you can't get an apartment you'd consider before you need to start work.

This is your search -- there are flaky realtors, and sometimes they are the ones with the listing for the apartment of your dreams. Be ready to double-double check and back up all their work. Keep your patience, your temper and be persistent. You don't have to be the BFF of the realtor -- keep your eye on the prize.

Last edited by Inquring81; 04-03-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Sounds like great advice! This should be a sticky post. Welcome to NYC!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I would need to move in on/around July 1, 2016. Should I start looking for an apartment now, or is it too early?
Also, is it better to look for a no-fee rental?

Ideally, I would like to live near the 5 train, as that would what I would take for work.

Thank you

Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 AM

484 posts, read 560,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I would need to move in on/around July 1, 2016. Should I start looking for an apartment now, or is it too early?
Also, is it better to look for a no-fee rental?

Ideally, I would like to live near the 5 train, as that would what I would take for work.

Thank you
Don't know where you're living now, but I'd say start your search ASAP. To move in July 1, heart of the highly competitive season, you'll need to be signing a lease in June. That means you've got 10 weeks to find your new home. Right now you can be scoping out neighborhoods, doing your homework on where the safer areas are (that you'd feel comfortable in). Everyone's idea of safe varies. You can also scope out the prices for the areas you like the most, and the general age of the housing stock.

Another strategy I forgot is to tell everyone you know -- every friend, family member, etc. that you're looking for an apartment in those neighborhoods. Everyone knows someone, and we're all six phone calls from anyone in the world. Sometimes you'll find a terrific apartment this way.

Do your search in stages -- scope out your neighborhoods, do your homework on safety, flood zones, etc. now. Start looking at those websites on a daily basis. Look for the realtors who are showing the type of apartments you want to see. Real estate tends to be very geographically local. You'll start to see which companies have the properties in the areas you are interested in. As you start to see patterns, you can start going to those realtor's websites as well.

If you could afford to pay the rent for a month or two even if you can't move, physically until July, then start physically looking at apartments in late April early May. When the realtor asks "What's your move in date?" Don't say July 1. Realtors aren't asking about when you're physically moving, they are asking when you're willing to start paying the rent. Many landlords don't care if you NEVER move in, as long as you're ready with the rent on the first of every month.

When I was looking, I said "I'm flexible on move in -- if I see my new home, I"m putting money down today." Never had a realtor refuse me with that line.

Expect this to ramp up to a part time job almost immediately, and plan to spend the second half of May and all of June in all out search mode -- perhaps even take a leave from work for the last few months. Apartment searching is very time consuming.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:33 PM

One of my alumni friends is subletting his apartment in June and allowing for lease renewal starting July 1. Asking for around $1640 but the lease might increase $40/month starting in July. No brokers fee. The apartment is a 6 minute walk from 86 street station. Is this a pretty good deal?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:45 PM

How big is the apartment, and is it a legal sublet? When would the sublet end? It could be a very good deal, but you need to see it first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: