U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510

Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether or not Staten Island was the most reasonably priced area in the city. A lot of people say you should live in Manhattan, but I could just go there anytime I wanted. It wouldn't be a bother because I'm from Houston, and down there commute and travel throughout the city seems to take longer.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
S.I. is quite a bit more affordable than the rest of the city and L.I. but it just seems so isolated to me. That's just my feeling, I'm curious to see if others feel that way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 6,840,387 times
Reputation: 1047
Isolation is a major factor on why S.I. is cheaper than the rest of the city. No subway line, and a nice ride on a ferry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Isolation is a major factor on why S.I. is cheaper than the rest of the city. No subway line, and a nice ride on a ferry.
Well all of that hustle and bustle of the main city never did much to amuse me, so Staten Island would be ideal for me: set apart, but still very close. I need to see nature and green.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
 
500 posts, read 2,672,117 times
Reputation: 326
"people say you should live in Manhattan, but I could just go there anytime I wanted"

mpope, Staten Island is indeed the most affordable place to buy a house in New York City.

It feels so much like Jersey many of us New Yorkers think it should be given over to our suburban neighbors.

But forget about going to Manhattan "anytime you want". If you ever move to Staten Island, you'll realize that commuting to the apple for pleasure or business will take you up to two hours one-way by public transportation.

Then you'll think about it twice and will stay home in SI, maybe going to Manhattan in the weekends.

That's how it usually is. Whoever told you that Manhattan is THE place to be was awfully right. Of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
"people say you should live in Manhattan, but I could just go there anytime I wanted"

mpope, Staten Island is indeed the most affordable place to buy a house in New York City.

It feels so much like Jersey many of us New Yorkers think it should be given over to our suburban neighbors.

But forget about going to Manhattan "anytime you want". If you ever move to Staten Island, you'll realize that commuting to the apple for pleasure or business will take you up to two hours one-way by public transportation.

Then you'll think about it twice and will stay home in SI, maybe going to Manhattan in the weekends.

That's how it usually is. Whoever told you that Manhattan is THE place to be was awfully right. Of course.
Not so. I've been to Staten Island before and we went over to Greenwich Village...this took a little under one hour. Then again, it might have been a good day for us. Plus, like I said, I live in Houston which is wider than New York City as a whole. As if that wasn't bad enough, Houston traffic is horror;thus, a lot of Houstonians only go into downtown several times a year. And if by chance it should ever take hours to get from SI to Manhattan, I'll be fine because it's nothing I'm not used to. Shoot, I'll even drive. Done it before, so I'll just bring lots of music into the car. Give me plenty of time to soak in your wonderful city.

Last edited by mpope409; 04-02-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Not so. I've been to Staten Island before and we went over to Greenwich Village...this took a little under one hour. Then again, it might have been a good day for us. Plus, like I said, I live in Houston which is wider than New York City as a whole. As if that wasn't bad enough, Houston traffic is horror;thus, a lot of Houstonians only go into downtown several times a year. And if by chance it should ever take hours to get from SI to Manhattan, I'll be fine because it's nothing I'm not used to. Shoot, I'll even drive. Done it before, so I'll just bring lots of music into the car. Give me plenty of time to soak in your wonderful city.
Getting in and out of SI is a real pain in the ****, not to mention expensive. It is well known by New Yorkers. That is why people that live there really don't get out to other boroughs that much unless they have to for work. This of course only adds to S.I. being isolated from the other boroughs. They often call S.I. the forgotten borough for a reason afterall.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-02-2007 at 11:38 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Getting in and out of SI is a real pain in the ****, not to mention expensive. It is well known by New Yorkers. That is why people that live there really don't get out to other boroughs that much unless they have to for work. This of course only adds to S.I. being isolated from the other boroughs. They often call S.I. the forgotten borough for a reason afterall.
Well it didn't bother me much. It's no biggie.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well it didn't bother me much. It's no biggie.
Well you've done the commute once or maybe only a few times. I'm telling you what others have said for years. Ask around. Watch.

Anyway as they say, to each his own.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well you've done the commute once or maybe only a few times. I'm telling you what others have said for years. Ask around. Watch.

Anyway as they say, to each his own.
Look, I don't doubt your right, but like I said traffic doesn't bother me a whole bunch. Besides, I doubt I'll have any want or need to go into Manhattan anyway.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top