Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

39 posts, read 118,544 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to take a drive through queens to check out the neighborhoods. He works on UWS in the 70's so we are interested in looking at queens neighborhoods that would be a decent commute to work (we are in Park Slope now and it takes about 45-1hour depending on the time-we are looking for the same). We need a safe neighborhood, family friendly, good schools (if possible),

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
It's not in Queens but any reason why you wouldn't look into parts of The Bronx..especially Riverdale ?

It seems to me that for anyone commuting to the UWS and looking for the things you listed, Riverdale would be a natural. It is much closer to the UWS ( more like 20 to 30 mins by car or subway) than anywhere in Queens. It is one of the safest,cleanest and most family oriented areas of the whole city with some of the best schools( public and private ) in the city.The housing stock..rentals,coops,condos or houses is very good and considerably less expensive than most areas of Queens.

Just a suggestion.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 AM

49 posts, read 202,239 times
I definitely second Riverdale. I understand it's like the Kew Gardens of the Bronx.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM

39 posts, read 118,544 times
thank you. We've heard there are some good neighborhoods there, but we had no idea where. We may change our plans today and make our way up. do you suggest driving or taking the train up there?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight26 View Post
thank you. We've heard there are some good neighborhoods there, but we had no idea where. We may change our plans today and make our way up. do you suggest driving or taking the train up there?
I would say go in the car... at least unless or until you you might zero in on a specific neighborhood.Riverdale covers a lot of territory and if your goal is to get an overall perspective you will be able to cover much more ground and see more of the sub neighborhoods than with public transportation.

You might also want to look at Woodlawn while you are there on the West side of The Bronx.It too has all of the qualities you mentioned and is in the straight line down to the UWS.

The Bronx is like Brooklyn in that it covers a lot of ground and has some of the best and some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.There are also some very good neighborhoods on the East side of The Bronx along and on both sides of Pelham Parkway including Pelham Gardens,Pelham Bay,Country Club and parts of Morris Park.The further east you go,however the more problematical a commute to the UWS might become unless you find a place around the 2 and 5 trains which come together at 180th St. At that point you have a choice of going down the East Side or the West Side of Manhattan. Pelham Parkway,Pelham Gardens and Morris Park are on those routes. A car commute from the far eastern Bronx to the UWS would not be fun and it is on the 6.
I was living in Brooklyn when I decided to look into The Bronx and even though I had been living in NY for over 30 years I had almost no knowledge of what neighborhoods there were or much of anything else regarding them. It took me a whole year to really come to understand what each area was like and the pros and cons of each one.I was looking to buy so I was very careful.
One of the most amazing things is the prices of renting or purchasing.Even the best neighborhoods of The Bronx are considerably less than comparable neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens and many of them are closer to midtown.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
If you want to go to Queens, I would suggest bayside, douglaston or little neck areas. Nice suburbia feel and family friendly, safe, and in the top school district in Queens. However, transportation to the city will require LIRR as there are no trains.

If you want something with access to the trains, I would suggest Forest Hills, which is also more commercialized with shopping and restaurants. Safe area as well with good schools, although not as good as mentioned above.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM

33 posts, read 101,985 times
Astoria, Queens near Astoria Park ---- I Love It!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest Forest Hills or Rego Park. The schools are good and the subway transportation/commute is about 45 min-1 hour.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Whitestone !

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 13,204 times
very safe neighborhoods n queens with good schools would be Bayside(i lived there) , forest hills, kew gardens, Astoria, Whitestone, Dougleston, Little Neck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City