U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,447,246 times

Advertisements

Verranzano is now $10 will be $13

Whitestone/Throggs Neck/Tri-boro now $5 will be $6.50

These are the same people that just finished building a $91 million station for the Yankees on your dime even though they already have a station on the 4/D trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,886,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post

These are the same people that just finished building a $91 million station for the Yankees on your dime even though they already have a station on the 4/D trains.
Of course, one thing (subway) has nothing to do with the other (bridges).

I think these tolls have long since gotten out of hand. But remember that anything emanating from MTA means that Albany is involved. And our wonderful State Legislature simply does not snap to attention when NYC is the subject under consideration.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,437,506 times
Quote:

Didn't they have an increase in tolls about a year and a half ago? this is the largest toll increase in history. It's sick and getting sicker out there folks.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Default the relationship

The bridge tolls subsidize the subway operations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Of course, one thing (subway) has nothing to do with the other (bridges).

Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM

11,000 posts, read 13,945,520 times
Quote:
The bridge tolls subsidize the subway operations.
$13 to sit in a parking lot on Staten Island. That's kind of obscene.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,261,689 times
Samyn lets clear something up here. Firstly I think the tolls are too high the on Verrazano but NOT the other bridges. Secondly, the new station built is not another subway, because they do have the 4/D trains. They in fact built a new MetroNorth Stop, not JUST for the Yankees but for the community. In case you did not know, they are redeveloping the entire Yankee stadium area, and not only a new stadium, but new 1,000,000 retail center, housing, and millions more residential and commercial development over the next ten years. So yeah...it was needed.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,886,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Samyn lets clear something up here. Firstly I think the tolls are too high the on Verrazano but NOT the other bridges. Secondly, the new station built is not another subway, because they do have the 4/D trains. They in fact built a new MetroNorth Stop, not JUST for the Yankees but for the community. In case you did not know, they are redeveloping the entire Yankee stadium area, and not only a new stadium, but new 1,000,000 retail center, housing, and millions more residential and commercial development over the next ten years. So yeah...it was needed.
I don't think he wanted to hear that much rationality.

Also, to Samyn: if the bridges help subsidize the subways, that has to count as a good thing. Remember, the idea is to get people out of their cars (= emissions, pollution, noise, etc.) and onto mass transit (electric trains don't pollute). Nobody in a car within the borders of New York City gets sympathy from this corner.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Default more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think he wanted to hear that much rationality.

Also, to Samyn: if the bridges help subsidize the subways, that has to count as a good thing. Remember, the idea is to get people out of their cars (= emissions, pollution, noise, etc.) and onto mass transit (electric trains don't pollute). Nobody in a car within the borders of New York City gets sympathy from this corner.
Other than the breast stroke there aren't many options for those that live in the Bronx/Westchester and work in Queens/L.I. or vice versa. $13 a day in bridge tolls is a brutal burden on these people. That is $260 a month tax on these people.

That $91 million Metro North station on the Hudson line is not very rational at all. The $ 1.5 billion taxpayer built stadium already had service on the D/4 subway and the area near the Metro North station is deserted. The nearby Metro North Stations Morris Heights and University heights are under used, this station will be under used as well. If you look at the schedule it is planned to be a seasonal station like Shea Stadium or Belmont Park with only token daily service to justify the $91 million beating that the taxpayers took to build it.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 AM

243 posts, read 1,221,023 times
Hey all ...

Throwing in my two cents worth ... I work for the MTA , therefore I have a pass to use the subways 24/7 for free ... I think the idea of a toll hike just plain sucks , and I'm dead set against it. Also , I drive everywhere , in two years I never used that free pass once on my own time. I drive to work too. I'll drive to Coney Island from 95th street to report there , doesn't matter. I love operating trains , but I hate being a passenger on one. I live in Bay Ridge and drive over the Verrazzano often to go to visit family in NJ or go to AC. $13 is flat out insane. $10 is insane. And yeah , I know it's really $5 each way like all other bridges just charges in one shot , blah blah blah , but $5 to cross a bridge , again , is insane.
The MTA , like the government , needs to stop Moderator cut: wasting money, and then there would be no need to raise taxes / tolls / etc. Of course , there's not a chance that's going to happen. Fiscal responsibility should start with responsible use of taxpayer funds , NOT sticking out a hand and begging for more after mismanaging what was already there.

Anyone heard about and interested in getting any information on the Tea Party tax protest movement that's underway can send me a Direct Message for more information ...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 35,661,309 times
the thing with the verrazano is that you only pay 10 bucks one way anyway...so it doesnt sound as bad as people make it out to be....so if i got to staten island and come back i really only pay 5 bucks (for now). now the goethals bridge....why do i have to pay 8 bucks to go over that antiquated (sp?) piece of crap....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City