U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

726 posts, read 922,182 times
Default NYC "Wearing You Down"?

Well, first of all, thank you to everyone who has helped us out the last 8 months. We're in town and going to find a place to live tomorrow and are finally moving here in June. Couldn't be more excited!

I'm noticing there are an inordinate number of posts in response to people moving here regarding NYC wearing you down. The noise, the crowding, the feeling-like-a-number thing.

For those that have lived here and other large cities (anywhere), would you say it's different here? I mean, is it the same as you would feel worn down by Paris or SF or Tokyo? If not, how is it different?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,370,055 times
I don't know what's really meant by what you're citing, but having been born in and having lived in NYC my entire life (with brief sojurns in Switzerland and the UK), but I don't really feel that at all.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

726 posts, read 922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't know what's really meant by what you're citing, but having been born in and having lived in NYC my entire life (with brief sojurns in Switzerland and the UK), but I don't really feel that at all.
I'm really glad to hear that.

I'm wondering if it's more the type of person. I mean, some people are huge city people (I consider myself as such) and some just aren't.

I am hoping to find that the GiantCityPeople are happy here forever.

I'm to the point now where, moving from Houston (pop. 5.4m) I can't imagine ever living in a city smaller than that again.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 2,598,637 times
I think its the big city syndrome. Living in very crowded areas has an impact on many people. That being said, I think NYC has more in common with other large cities of the world then it has with the rest of America.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,512,161 times
Don't know what that means. I'm a native-born Brooklynite. Quite the opposite from wearing me down, I find the city to be endlessly energizing--I think I'd feel worn down almost anyplace else!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:52 PM

4,116 posts, read 1,947,225 times
I have lived in NYC all my life.........UNFORTUNATELY it is overpopulated which makes everything so hard to get around traffic, noise, pollution and FILTH the people are RUDE

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: The bolding makes your posts hard to read. Please use regular text -- thanks.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:13 PM

84 posts, read 178,260 times
I know what you mean. Don't get me wrong, it's my favorite place to live and I'd hate to be anywhere else in the U.S., but certain areas just aren't "home like" and I don't think they ever would be for me, because the noise, foot and car traffic, and architecture. However, I don't live in a busy area at all, so the peace and quiet sort of helps me recharge from whenever I get home from my job around 34th st.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:53 PM

3,954 posts, read 4,591,250 times
New York is so expensive that most people find it a challenge at the best of times. And now is certainly not the best of times. If you're having your hours cut or might be laid off, as many of us are, that's enough to get you down.

Put another way, many people are reevaluating how much they really want to be in New York. I would never want to leave, but I know others who feel differently.

It's the economy more than the city itself.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 AM

185 posts, read 446,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Well, first of all, thank you to everyone who has helped us out the last 8 months. We're in town and going to find a place to live tomorrow and are finally moving here in June. Couldn't be more excited!

I'm noticing there are an inordinate number of posts in response to people moving here regarding NYC wearing you down. The noise, the crowding, the feeling-like-a-number thing.

For those that have lived here and other large cities (anywhere), would you say it's different here? I mean, is it the same as you would feel worn down by Paris or SF or Tokyo? If not, how is it different?
I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I first moved here permanantly, I lived in Washington Heights Practically AT the bus station where it meets the West Side Highway, I commuted downtown to Union Square.

I think this "wearing down" syndrome affects people that are from rural areas as opposed to people born and raised here. I came from a fairly rural area right before the move. (Downtown consisted of about 20 1 story buildings, 1 cafe, a health food supermarket, a post office a library, 2 museums a few parks, and 1 main street.

I loved NYC at first, as if I was on vcation, but once it sank in that I lived here, I did get tired, felt like I couldn't escape from the noise, cars, traffic people. It got to me pretty badly at one point, and I finally found that park on the Hudson River.

That feeling completely ended when I moved to Queens to a neighborhood of mostly small homes far away from any subways. Despite my daily commute to Manhattan, when I got to Queens IT just seemed like a breath of fresh air, an escape. So I guess it depends on where you spend your time in the city. IT is definitely important to find that "escape quiet place" to relax, and there are plently in NYC, you just have to find them. There is quietness here in the city. But I could never live in a Manhattan tenement again, my stress level would go back through the roof.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,415,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I'm really glad to hear that.

I'm wondering if it's more the type of person. I mean, some people are huge city people (I consider myself as such) and some just aren't.

I am hoping to find that the GiantCityPeople are happy here forever.

I'm to the point now where, moving from Houston (pop. 5.4m) I can't imagine ever living in a city smaller than that again.

I lived in Houston too for a while and NYC has much, much, much more to offer. While Houston has a large population it feels much smaller due to the ridiculous amount of sprawl and absolutely no mass transit. The only positives Houston has over NYC are cost of living, friendlier ppl, and weather (personal preference).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City