U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,565 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in NYC (midtown). I have a 3-yr old and another on the way. I also have 2 large dogs that are coming with me. I have been blindly searching-- but I'm scared that we won't be able to afford this move .

Is there ANYPLACE we can find a nice home or townhome that has good schools? We will be right around the $500K mark for a house. I'd prefer not to live too far away 25-40 miles seems reasonable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 21,646 times
White Plains should be a good choice.

condowestchester.com has a list of nice communities in White Plains.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 PM

297 posts, read 1,647,816 times
I work in Midtown and live in lower Westchester. Although its close, it still takes an hour door to door factoring in traffic when I drive to work and the train schedule when I commute.

Since you mentioned that you have a 3 year old, I am assuming schools are important. With a budget of $500K, I would look at Pleasantville, Katonah, Somers and Salem. Of the ones I mentioned, Pleasantville is the closest. There are many condos in White Plains, Tarrytown and Hartsdale which is in lower Westchester but the schools aren't that great. They are not as bad as Mount Vernon and Yonkers schools but they are not as great as other schools in Westchester. If you do down this route, you may want to consider private/parochial school. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM

103 posts, read 394,810 times
Elza - commute to Midtown Manhattan is relatively easy on MetroNorth. The trains arrive at Grand Central terminal (Park Ave/42St),from where people who work in the area walk to their offices. There is a great chart that was posted on city-data forum some time ago, that provides you with commute time from surrounding areas (http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/03/17/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/20070318_TRAIN_GRAPHIC.html) (broken link).
This is a good place to start.
From the areas I am most familiar with in Northern Westchester you might want to consider Mt Kisco/Bedford Hills, Katonah, Goldens Bridge, Somers. You can definitely find properties in your price range, and will do much better than in Lower Westchester. Feel free to Moderator cut: Realtor soliciting not allowed in this forum

Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 PM

102 posts, read 203,095 times
Well the average house price in all of Westchester is around $600K. All of Northern Westchester, not including Mt Kisco, Peekskill would be considerably more unless you want to move into a shack. You could consider a townhouse and you should be able to find something for $500K, but I don't know if that would be a good choice with 2 big dogs. I would like to know where in Katonah you can find a house for $500K considering that the avg house sells for about 1 million. I dont know if they even have any town houses. Also the commute from N Westchester to mid town, door to door would be more than 40 minutes. I would look at Nassau County or maybe Queens. There isnt much in L. Westchester for that price if you are looking for a house except parts of Yonkers, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, Port Chester and Southern White Plains. Also, make sure you check out the school systems, Yonkers, Port Chester and Mt Vernon are among the worst in the state. White Plains and New Rochelle are better, but not that great either.

Last edited by ajgranda; 04-06-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 PM

297 posts, read 1,647,816 times
I saw some homes in Katonah (katonah-lewisboro schools) between $450-$550K. Granted, many were 2 BR but there were a couple in the $500-$550 range with 3+ bedrooms. I'm not sure where they are located (near parkway, etc) or the condition they are in but they are within OP's price range.

I agree commuting into the city whether you drive in (unless there is NO traffic which is very very very rare), or take the Metro North, will be over 40 minutes. Good
luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM

414 posts, read 1,444,608 times
Check out Eastchester, NY. It's got the Crestwood train station, very good schools, and isn't as expensive as places like Katonah or Salem. Be mindful of the very high property taxes in Westchester County. Also STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from: Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Port Chester and S. White Plains.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Old 04-08-2007, 12:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,971,091 times
Your best option in NY might be to find a condo in one of the outerboroughs of the city. There are a lot of these "fedders homes/fedders specials," (which everyone loves to hate) condos going up all over Brooklyn & Queens that go for about $500k for a 3br. Most of these come with a 15 year tax abatement, and even when the taxes do kick in they are quite low (city property taxes are much lower than suburban taxes). With the tax savings you should easily be able to send your kids to parochial school.

Otherwise you might want to look into NJ where you can easily find a 3br house for $400-$500k in a decent town and a good school district.

Otherwise you are not going to be able to find anything in a nice neighborhood of Westchester with good school districts for $500k.

Also I disagree with the previous poster. Not all of Yonkers is bad. The South-eastern part of Yonkers is actually quite nice and has cheap houses, but the taxes are really high in that town and the school system is bad.

Last edited by mead; 04-08-2007 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,983,010 times
Elza, where are you moving from? the only reason I'm asking is that 25 to 40 miles away from NYC can be a harrowing commute of about 2 hours in commuters traffic.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 AM

414 posts, read 1,444,608 times
mead, the Crestwood area of Yonkers, as well as Lawrence Park, are lovely but you can't send your kid to the public schools. My brother has a beautiful house in Crestwood with a Scarsdale P.O. which is worth around $850k. His kids go to private school, there is no option. So, what's the point of buying there if you need schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or