U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 19,912 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to sublet a place to live during my summer internship but I'm not sure which areas are safe in manhattan. I currently have two sublet offers, one on 30th & 2nd (2 bedroom apt for only $1300 per month and the apartment pictures look great... I feel like I'm missing something because it's just too cheap for the whole apartment) and the other on 56th & 2nd (one room in 3 bedroom apartment for $1500 per month - this sounds much more realistic and it's much closer to my internship place although probably far from hangout places in Manhattan?) Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS is it safe for me to walk around in Manhattan alone and if so, where would it be safe to do so?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
It is perfectly fine to walk around alone during the day, but at night you should avoid walking around alone. This goes for anyone but especially for new people. It makes you an easy mark. Take a cab if you have to.

As for your sublet options both areas are good areas. They are both kind of far from public transportation. You have to walk quite a bit to get to a subway for both areas. Why have you narrowed your choices to these two places? For someone new I would recommend staying as close to a subway line as possible, preferably a major subway line like the 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, A, D, or F. If you are close to these trains I mentioned you can pretty much get anywhere in the city.

I would visit both places, it seems like you haven't actually seen these places. Go pay them a visit and also check out other areas.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Both areas are EXTREMELY safe, day or night. And both are close to each other. People in NY do a LOT of walking - a mile each way to and from work are routine. So these two are really very close to each other.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 19,912 times
Thanks so much for your replies! They've been very helpful I actually found a place near 45th so I'm really happy about my summer situation now~

Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM

166 posts, read 905,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlite View Post
Hi, I'm trying to sublet a place to live during my summer internship but I'm not sure which areas are safe in manhattan. I currently have two sublet offers, one on 30th & 2nd (2 bedroom apt for only $1300 per month and the apartment pictures look great... I feel like I'm missing something because it's just too cheap for the whole apartment) and the other on 56th & 2nd (one room in 3 bedroom apartment for $1500 per month - this sounds much more realistic and it's much closer to my internship place although probably far from hangout places in Manhattan?) Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS is it safe for me to walk around in Manhattan alone and if so, where would it be safe to do so?

Of course it is. I never had a problem. I would be more concerned about certain places late at night, but I never had a problem. However, I was born and raised in NYC. I am not intimidated by others!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 9,391 times
Default Are you looking for a roomate?

I lived in NYC about two summers ago. I am interested in moving back this summer....is there any chance that you might need a roomate?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,047 times
Default Am trying to find a place to live from may till first of aug

Quote:

Hello I am also trying a place to live this summer from may till aug can anyone help can you eamil me at [email]zcfrenette@aol.com[/email]

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM

757 posts, read 3,016,731 times
Either of the apts you are considering is in a very safe area. You would not need to seek refuge in a cab unless maybe if you're totally alone after midnight during the week. You'll be able to judge whether there's any kind of pedestrian presence on the street.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
You can walk around safely at night (maybe not LATE at night) but this neighborhood is perfectly safe. ANYPLACE in NYC should be approached with caution in the wee hours....That neighborhood is FINE. EVEN at night.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM

36 posts, read 118,271 times
Quote:

If you can I'd try to look a the 2br place in preson before committing to it - $1300 does sound like there is something wrong with it. If it's ok and you're interested in a roommate, I just made a post because I'm looking for a place for 3 months...pm me or reply in this thread if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City