Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM

101 posts, read 562,785 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I got good news MAYBE ...Nycha just mailed me a letter saying they have an apartment available for me in Canarsie in the BayView Towers. I know absolutely nothing about Canarsie ....I dont even know how to get there! I hope that a subway station is in walking distance I dont know...Is there a bunch of stores around? I know I need to be able to go to grocery stores,restaurants etc. Im realllly nervous. I see the apartment on Friday. I hope the apartment is nice and QUIET. The building im in currently in is so loud .All the neighbors do is blast music literally 24/7. Im also in a small one bedroom . The paper said there is a 4 room apartment available so Im confused..How many bedrooms would that be? I live in Bushwick right now and I love the area. I live right on knickerbocker around all the stores...there is 2 subways in walking distance...the bus goes to downtown brooklyn which i love ...there are a multitude of laundry mats,restaurants and grocery stores. Is the bayview towers nice? Is there stores around the area? Is there a park or something close by I can take my kids to ? I just dont want to get stuck there. I hear about people living in the projects for years and years and years and believe me I want better for me and my family! I have a section 8 voucher and I was hoping to get into a private 2 family home or really quiet apartment building ...but I got accepted into the projects first...Time is slipping away and i dont want to lose my voucher altogether because I let the voucher expire...What should I do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:41 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
I was told that Bayview Houses was a nice development, but that was over a decade ago. Don't know if that holds weight today. Your building might be nice and the one across might be bad. Who knows. You are going to have to verify that on your visit.

Transportation is good. You have the B17 along Seaview Av. and the B42 which runs along Rockaway Parkway and connects you to the L train at Rockaway Parkway station "free of charge"(no transfer swipe needed to connect with the train, with the other buses yes) with plenty of buses around the station to get you around the borough(B103 goes to Downtown Brooklyn, B6 to Bensonhurst, B60 to Bushwick & Williamsburg, B82 to Coney Island and there's also an express bus that gets you to Manhattan from there if you don't want to use the subway).

There is plenty of shopping along the immediate area near the projects. Stuff like pharmacies, laundromats, supermarkets, etc. Rockaway Parkway near the train station resembles more Knickerbocker Av. in terms of shopping. There is a lot of greenery around there, but it seems to be only ballfields and inaccessible land owned by the Feds. There's also a pier at the end of Rockaway Parkway. Good luck. It does have a nice view of the bay, only if you get an apartment facing it.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
I was told that Bayview Houses was a nice development, but that was over a decade ago. Don't know if that holds weight today. Your building might be nice and the one across might be bad. Who knows. You are going to have to verify that on your visit.

Transportation is good. You have the B17 along Seaview Av. and the B42 which runs along Rockaway Parkway and connects you to the L train at Rockaway Parkway station "free of charge"(no transfer swipe needed to connect with the train, with the other buses yes) with plenty of buses around the station to get you around the borough(B103 goes to Downtown Brooklyn, B6 to Bensonhurst, B60 to Bushwick & Williamsburg, B82 to Coney Island and there's also an express bus that gets you to Manhattan from there if you don't want to use the subway).

There is plenty of shopping along the immediate area near the projects. Stuff like pharmacies, laundromats, supermarkets, etc. Rockaway Parkway near the train station resembles more Knickerbocker Av. in terms of shopping. There is a lot of greenery around there, but it seems to be only ballfields and inaccessible land owned by the Feds. There's also a pier at the end of Rockaway Parkway. Good luck. It does have a nice view of the bay, only if you get an apartment facing it.
Thank you for info. I really appreciate it. It doesnt sound so bad. I have to wait until Friday to check it out. Hopefully everything goes well.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Bayview Towers are at the south end of Rockaway Parkway. As 009 mentioned, the B-42 bus takes you directly to the Rockaway Parkway terminal of the L line. The bus runs frequently all day long. And the L train takes 39 minutes to get from one terminal to the other. And there's shopping on Seaview as well as Rockaway Parkway, if I'm not mistaken. At the very end of Rockaway Parkway is Canarsie Pier--which you'll definitely appreciate during the summertime!

A 4-room apartment might be 2 bedrooms. You'll have to see that for yourself.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
bayview houses is considered good by brooklyn standards, everybody else covered transportation issues. like vereybody has mentioned, there is no train within walking distance. you have to take the B42 bus to the L train. however it is still the projects and robberies happen around there once in a blue, usually in the little mini mall across the street from bayview where mcdonalds is at. i used to go play ball there quite often so i'm familiar with the area. you have hsbc bank on rockaway parkway and seaview, chase bank is a few blocks away on avenue M, if you need other shopping you can go to avenue L in the 90s. i'm not sure if they closed the movie theater down on avenue L or not, but i think they did.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times
Canarsie is near the L train Rockaway Avenue station last stop and near a lot of bus lines including the B82 that comes all along towards Coney Island. The neighborhood is primarily Haitians, there is a strip of stores by the subway station but I am not sure of the actual development itself. A 4 room apartment is usually 2 bedrooms but try to get an extension on the Section 8 if you can just in case of anything (keep that in mind)

Good Luck to you either way and let me know what happens ok....

Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i left canarsie almost 30 years ago...was born and raised there... after hearing all the negatives about canarsie i decided to take a tour for myself...instead of finding it looking like a ghetto i got to tell you i was blown away how nice it still appeared.

i cant tell you about the gangs, the drugs etc but if it wasnt for the ethnic makeup of the people themselves i would have never known anything changed....

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 AM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Thre is no subway nearby, so youd likely have to take the B42 Bus to the L Train at "Rockaway Parkway" stop. There is also the B103 and B17 for other parts of Brooklyn, as Well as the BM2 Express Bus to Downtown and Midtown. Its near the waterfront so you might get a good view., and this development has A LOT of trees and space, with low population density. I would go for it. If worse comes to worse, after 1 year, you can put in from a transfer to a specific development of your choosing city wide. If you comply with the income requirements and follow the rules, It is very tough to get kicked out of NYCHA buildings. Section 8 on the other hand, I would not pick, landlords can decide to not renew vouchers at their own will, maintenance is often subpar, there are almost no rules, so the worst of the bunch tend to stay in close quarter Sction 8 tenements of which there is less police presence. NYCHA developments have TWO police precints, and strict rules, as far as crime, the income limits are nearly double so you are also mixed in with more hard working individuals, and not so much concentrated poverty. The apartments are much bigger, and better maintained, with much more space, and usually tree filled. (So youre NOT staring into neighbor's windos ) So, Id say go for it, and if you don't like it, put in for a transfer to another NYCHA development that YOU choose in a year. You lucked out, Bayview Houses are probably some of the better ones compared to other Brooklyn sites. Only inconvenience is lack of subway service.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
As far as transportation is concerned, if you don't mind the bus ride, the B17 will take you to the Utica Avenue station on the 3 and 4 line.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM

THANK YOU Everyone! It sounds really nice. Im getting excited now ! I go to view the apartment on Friday and I hope it's lovely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City