U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times

Advertisements

We inquired for our oldest one who is going to do an internship in NY over the Summer, to stay at the I-house. They told us to fill out an application. This cost $65.- which is to be accepted and I asked upfront are there any rooms available otherwise it doesn't make sense to fill it out. I was assured that there were rooms available and in order of applying they would given out if accepted.

We filled it out the same day and emailed and mailed it to I-house. The already had told us it would take 14 days to get a response back. The response was that the rooms we applied for (the cheapest) were all taken and our oldest was put on the waiting list so she was accepted.
With this email came the remark that you could require an upgrade but only to apply for if you can afford it, which is reasonable.
We did requested any room or bed available as they stated in their email which was send at 5 pm just befor closing their office on Friday. The same day we emailed the request and Monday morning we got an email that all rooms and beds were taken and they added a list of other places in NY to apply for space.

We could understand that maybe the first choices (more than 1) could be taken, but why did they send the personal email that you could request for the more expensive rooms/beds and they aren't available...we feel like we were scammed by International house to pay for a worthless application...
I know $ 65.- isn't too bad and we will survive but how many other students who hardly can afford it have been scammed in a similar way. I wonder how much money the Int. House is getting every Summer from all people who are looking for a place to stay!

We already find another place which actualy is cheaper and closer by so it turned out okay...but I was wondering how much is going with false application fee scams.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM

204 posts, read 547,957 times
What did you find that was nearby and cheaper. I visited International House a couple weeks ago and thought it was expensive for what it was once you factor in the food and internet. Although the amount of lounges they had were nice .... I would feel like I am 18 again in a dorm room. Some of us want to pretend we are past that point

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM

502 posts, read 1,506,350 times
Sorry that you experienced this. Unfortunately these days, schools and other organizations alike are making a killing off the application fees alone. The application fee revenue helps them supplement their budget.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Well everything changed today..very weird...so first the say they have a waiting list and send you a list to try other places since the chances are slim that you will be able to get a room.

Than all of sudden they send an email the have rooms available and you have till 5 pm to respond. We already made reservations at Loftstel which was cheaper but you have to share with 4 or 6 in a room. It looks very nice but I assume not much privacy. All the private rooms were full.

We cancelled the loftstel and booked for a little bit more in I-House since the one person per room sounds much better than having to deal with the same issues you find in a College dorm.

I think it was very weird for I-house to send these emails so close to each other and making it sound so weird...maybe an intern messing up...?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 AM

Our daughter will go there soon, so we will see what will happen. The strange thing is that you have to pay a certain amount per day for food...even for the last weeks when no food can be obtained you have to pay...They will close whatever kitchen or food facility they have to get it ready for Fall season, which is understandable, but you still have to pay and we were told, you child can use the money upfront....weird, why not stop charging if nothing is available....is it all about getting the max. money...sounds wrong to me but the single room sounded so much better than 4-6 in a room if you are going to do an intensive internship...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City