U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,151,452 times
I'm moving to Long Island just in time (June 1). Though I will feel the effects with the bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 PM
DAS

2,227 posts, read 3,533,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
If you scroll back to page 3 you will find a post which states the above. Now, read the last sentence of the part I quoted. It reads as if you are saying that non-unionized workers are paid at a much higher rate than unionized workers.

I then said, "if you are talking apples to apples, that is simply impossible". What I was saying is that a union worker will always make more than a non-union worker if they have the same job. Do you still not understand?
No, I don't understand, and I don't want to try to understand something that doesn't make sense. Like I stated previously, I am clear to most. I am not clear to those that have an agenda to keep the practice going.

Thanks for the English lesson., but I hope you are not a grad student studying to become an English professor. Your students will not get much help from you. Your statements and directives are very confusing.

I do not claim to be a writer.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,939,165 times
gradstudent, shizzles, upstater, and other rational individuals, simply put, some posters here just don't care whether the MTA has money or not. Revenues and expenses don't matter, because the basis of the argument is that the unions are not the problem, they are the "victims" in all this. It doesn't matter that they are the bulk of the expenses, and the MTA cannot make any changes and restructure to become more efficient because that would negatively affect the Union. It doesn't matter that the fares are going up 20% per year for the foresesable future, because the Unions "deserve" that money, at the expense of all else. It doesn't matter that the Union is getting fat and one of the only groups in the country that are not making any real concessions to help the MTA balance its books and move the city forward, because the Unions are somehow exempt from the downturn in the economy. Facts are irrelvant, and clearly we will just keep going in circles because facts don't matter. The Union, and those that irrationally support them, don't care about Revenues vs Expenses...it is not "their" problem. We should not fix the problem by restructuring the MTA, the Union would have to reduce their head count, consolidate departments, and realign their salaries/beenfits with the realities of the MTA's budget crisis and the economic downturn..and of course they won't allow that. The Unions just want more money to keep feeding the pig...keep the bureacracy and inefficiency growing and the fares skyrocketing, that way the Union can add even more people and keep their lifestyle..cuz thats all that matters to them at the end of the day. That is the reality of the MTA today..and why it will only get worse..not better.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,946,485 times
So tell me, what would you consider a rational-sized work force?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Thats a good question Fred. And I certianly don't have the answer. But I would say a rational-sized work force is one that is flexible, and can increase AND decrease depending on market conditions and the economy. So as the MTA GROWS and EXPANDS, and has the funds to do so, I can see that the labor force may grow, and as the MTA goes through a major budget shortfall of Billions for the foreseeable future, I would expect the labor force to contract, and concessions of all kinds made, like freezing raises/promotions, eliminating matches for 401ks, increasing medical co-payments and employee contributions, etc...all to sustain the service for the people in some reasonable and affordable way. Unfortunately, the MTA can only ADD to the waste, and never try to streamline itself in any meaningful way, thus the pig just gets fatter and fatter and the underlying problems of uncontrollable expenses never get addressed. Fred I am not anti-union, I just recognize that if the MTA cannot control its largest expense, how can it ever improve itself, become more efficient, and streamline its business? We both know the Unions won't allow any layoffs (any of any substance), nor allow any changes to their generous packages...so at the end of the day, money dries up, and since the MTA cannot do anything about its labor costs and massive inefficiencies, what other options are their besides major service cuts and jacking up fares forever? If you have another answer..please say so.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM

2,785 posts, read 2,353,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopster View Post
My question is do we really need a 2nd ave subway?

M15 bus is one of the most frequent buses in the city at all times of the day.
Are you kidding me!!! Where are you from????

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM

47 posts, read 137,749 times
At least the MTA offers an unlimited pass....I'm not happy about the fare increases, but that convenience is worth a lot, compared to say, the DC system.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 748 times
Default Living outside of the City

they make a tax for residents of communities served by MTA with the threat that if we don't add these taxes, the services will be cut.

OK, so the tax is added.

A few days later, The services are cut anyway.

They're absolute liers.

I live in Putnam. We should get rid of the tax, get rid of the stations, and charge them for going though our town.

the hell with the mta

Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,946,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgman View Post
the hell with the mta
Actually, there's really no good reason why MTA can't be broken up into its original three components: New York City Transit, LIRR and Metro North. Other than the fact that politicians like things this way. A lot of people forget (or never knew in the first place) that Governor Rockefeller created MTA in 1965 with the stroke of a pen--his reason was not to create a cohesive regional transit agency. His reason was to create an "authority" (euphemism for "money pit") where tons of money could be hidden away in a manner not accountable to the public.

We'd need a governor with a genuine backbone even to propose such a radical step. That's why I doubt it's likely. But, as they say, hope springs eternal.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Fred..it has less to do with "a governor with a genuine backbone" and more to do with the inherent problems of the MTA. As you are aware the Governor inherited all of these problems, as the former Governor did, and the Governor before that, and on and on. Attempting the smoke and mirrors game of it's the Governor's fault is a usual Union tactic...keep everyone focused on something else...so long as it's not the Union!

If you want to talk about backbone, let's hear the Union Rep take a stand about cutting the workforce, pulling back on benefits, and realigning salaries to help meet the HUGE deficit for the forseeable future. Every Governor including Patterson, at one time or another, has proposed these normal strategies as a way to save the MTA, and of course, they are met with the Union machine of threats/attacks/and millions in advertising to maintain the status quo. I doubt any of it will ever happen, but as they say, hope springs eternal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City