U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 AM

159 posts, read 153,810 times

Advertisements

I, for one, greatly enjoyed some of the information and attitudes in this thread. This thread from just before economic collapse. I chuckled a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 AM

167 posts, read 247,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
I, for one, greatly enjoyed some of the information and attitudes in this thread. This thread from just before economic collapse. I chuckled a bit.

haha yes

Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,332,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
You make it seem like if someone doesn't make a great salary it's because they dropped out of school and and had a boatload of kids which isn't always true. There are fields like social work and other careers in the non profit field that barely pay 40K. I know social workers who are childless with master's degrees who make in the 40k range and these are people that live in NYC.

You're right many people in NYC who are affluent but people seem to forget that not all companies are give out high salaries. If I took your post the wrong way I apologize.
The poster doesn't imply any such thing. That is you overlaying your personal insecurity.

What the poster is expressing is that is is the CHOICES which people make that defines their lives, and incomes.

If one chooses the field of Social Work, then one SHOULD have contemplated the economic consequences of such a choice. The level of one's degree is NOT a precursor of income, yet you appear to imply such. Stating that one of your friends has a Masters and earns a low salary, as if her qualification *should* qualify her for greater earnings.

That is just not the reality of life; and certainly NOT a NYC reality.

Such a mentality appears to be a driving force among young graduates (Zuccotti Park) *Occupiers*. From their comments and attitudes they seem to feel entitled to a certain level of life, simply because they were told to 'follow the path' to a degree. It was their CHOICE to believe.

Also, many young graduates may have fair paying jobs, but are economically burden by the cost of loan repayments on loans taken to pay for their education. They demand sympathy and government action. Yet, it was their CHOICE!

Having more children than you can afford is a CHOICE!

Everyone's circumstance is a matter of the *choices* they make. That is all the poster said.

Its America, no one is locked into their station in life. Personal progress is a matter of effort, how you apply and work the assets you have or attain, and the choices you make to utilize your assets and potential, or the choices you make to waste them.

No matter your situation, there are *correct* choices which can be made, that will change your life.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM

917 posts, read 1,707,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The poster doesn't imply any such thing. That is you overlaying your personal insecurity.

What the poster is expressing is that is is the CHOICES which people make that defines their lives, and incomes.

If one chooses the field of Social Work, then one SHOULD have contemplated the economic consequences of such a choice. The level of one's degree is NOT a precursor of income, yet you appear to imply such. Stating that one of your friends has a Masters and earns a low salary, as if her qualification *should* qualify her for greater earnings.

That is just not the reality of life; and certainly NOT a NYC reality.

Such a mentality appears to be a driving force among young graduates (Zuccotti Park) *Occupiers*. From their comments and attitudes they seem to feel entitled to a certain level of life, simply because they were told to 'follow the path' to a degree. It was their CHOICE to believe.

Also, many young graduates may have fair paying jobs, but are economically burden by the cost of loan repayments on loans taken to pay for their education. They demand sympathy and government action. Yet, it was their CHOICE!

Having more children than you can afford is a CHOICE!

Everyone's circumstance is a matter of the *choices* they make. That is all the poster said.

Its America, no one is locked into their station in life. Personal progress is a matter of effort, how you apply and work the assets you have or attain, and the choices you make to utilize your assets and potential, or the choices you make to waste them.

No matter your situation, there are *correct* choices which can be made, that will change your life.
To the bolded I agree.

Young grads shouldn't expect making big bucks but this city isn't exactly cheap. I don't think it's wrong to expect a salary that reflects the COL.

I already said that I may have misunderstood that post. We can agree to disagree.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM

88 posts, read 223,378 times
Quote:
Correct. But the starting point differs greatly for each person. Doing X doesn't mean that Y will be the outcome. If two people work equally as hard, yet one had college and living expenses paid by his family - who happens to own many businesses with connections and paid for his living expenses... That kid will be far more successful than the other one.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It's so very easy to overlook the single person earning less than $40K/year in these parts because of the affluence that overshadows that.

I'm in that lower earning bracket (less than $40K) with several years of expertise in my field and appreciate all those in that same type situation who make it work and are content. BTW: I reside in the Fort Lee area of Northern NJ.

It's all about living within ones means and NOT trying to be like or outdoing the Jones' in any aspect.

If one wants to live in the NYC market area and cannot afford an apartment on their own - just share an apartment, rent a room, or live with family.

This has to be mentioned: I know that living with family to certain people in society is beneath them or is unacceptable who also like to criticize ones who do - I've heard of people that are in this situation of this taking place.

Many people cannot even dream of purchasing in this market but yet they're living, doing okay and are happy.

I wish that many people would just get and be real - too many are living in a make-believe material and otherwise world. My attitude has always been to make due with what you have and if that's not good enough for some - that's just too bad.

Just be you and the heck with those who cannot accept that.
!!!! how old are you child????

Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM

10,655 posts, read 20,818,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimminaartiste View Post
!!!! how old are you child????
And how old are you, child?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
This is nothing new. 25 years ago I met a man who worked in theater and who was a member of the Players Club in Manhattan. He told me he moved out of Manhattan when he got old enough to want a comfortable home -- with a full bathroom and a real kitchen.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM

2,263 posts, read 2,639,512 times
Wife and i are about or slightly less than $50k a yr combined have a 2 bedroom for $1300 (was 1200 last yr) 15 mins from Union Square. We have many friends who pay $3000 for half the size of our place only to say they live in certain area/buildings but are jealous of our place in terms of value and size. Some also work 80hrs a week while a good 35-45 hrs a week is enough for me.

What im trying to say by this is knowing how to live within your means and not trying to fit a "should have" type of lifestyle. A lot of people tend to work so many hrs to afford ****/status that really is irrelevant in the bigger picture. But hey if that is your prerogative than excuse me and continue living that way.

Deals are out there sometimes with brokers/landlords, just gotta know how to communicate and sometimes show your value as a person.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,594,536 times
Where is it that you live silverbull? How long have you lived there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or