U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 PM

56 posts, read 129,680 times
Unhappy Why I should move out of NYC

Hi everyone, I'm from New York. I've lived here practically all my life. But the stress of the city is getting to me and I've been looking into moving out of state to Denver, Co. I have visited Denver numerous times, as my sister lives in Thornton. Every time I did visit Co, I have noting but great memories. People are friendlier, less stressed out, just more laid back. And the scenery of Co is gorgeous. You don't inhale fumes all day long, and your childrens playground isn't a sidewalk. But I have been getting these awful responses from people who live there, that the place isn't that friendly, laid back, that there are not too many jobs. I'm not sure what is going on. I was quite excited about the thought of change hopefully for better, but now I feel like I'm disillusioned. I think that people who live in Co have no idea what it's like to live in a city like NY. I love NY, but the stress is eating me inside, and I feel that I need a change of scenery. Is is so wrong of me to want to move away from the stress and crowds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM

43 posts, read 89,175 times
Not at all...I am looking to relocate to either Maryland from New York City. Life is too short to be stressed out over a city when there are so many more beautiful states you can enjoy and live better for the same amount of money. Don't get me wrong New York is nice but I am NOT in the millionaires league and you basically have to be rich to enjoy it. I am only 24 years old and they say New York is for the young and single and I still dont want to live here anymore. Do what you have to do life is too short!!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM

106 posts, read 252,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm from New York. I've lived here practically all my life. But the stress of the city is getting to me and I've been looking into moving out of state to Denver, Co. I have visited Denver numerous times, as my sister lives in Thornton. Every time I did visit Co, I have noting but great memories. People are friendlier, less stressed out, just more laid back. And the scenery of Co is gorgeous. You don't inhale fumes all day long, and your childrens playground isn't a sidewalk. But I have been getting these awful responses from people who live there, that the place isn't that friendly, laid back, that there are not too many jobs. I'm not sure what is going on. I was quite excited about the thought of change hopefully for better, but now I feel like I'm disillusioned. I think that people who live in Co have no idea what it's like to live in a city like NY. I love NY, but the stress is eating me inside, and I feel that I need a change of scenery. Is is so wrong of me to want to move away from the stress and crowds?
No, not at all! I just moved out 1 month ago and am now living on Toronto. Best decision I made in a long time. Life's too short to be stressed all the time. The change of scenery will do you good. If I ever miss the city, I just take one of my many long weekends (which are abundant in Canada btw) and visit my friends in nyc. Right now, your city is a much better place to visit than live. I'm sure you've already figured that out. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,125,345 times
searching24 said it best. Do what you want to do,do what your intuition tells you to. You are not going to get the same opinion about quality of life about any town or city.

Sometimes a change of scenery is all we need in life. Good luck to you.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,253,910 times
I moved out of NYC for college, have not lived there since. Everyone has their own path in life, and it is up to YOU to decide yours. If you like CO better then move there, it might make your life better. In whatever you do, I wish you well.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
searching24 said it best. Do what you want to do,do what your intuition tells you to. You are not going to get the same opinion about quality of life about any town or city.

Sometimes a change of scenery is all we need in life. Good luck to you.
Thank you for understanding me, not attacking me for "leaving my problems behind" or running away.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM

0 posts, read 266,857 times
I have lived in NYC and I never found it stressing.

Maybe it's a socioeconomic thing,

Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
I have lived in NYC and I never found it stressing.

Maybe it's a socioeconomic thing,
Well the only way you can be stress-free in NY is if you make lots of money and have jobs with little responsibility. No offense to anyone. But as the responsibility and pay go up (especially in nyc) the pressure is enormous. I mean I remember being in college having a job just to pay for my books - It was great. Stress fee. Plus I lived at home. It's a different story when you grow up.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM

493 posts, read 157,692 times
If you've lived there all your life and you're a couple years into the post-college era, maybe you should go somewhere else. Once you finish college (which I think many people do to make mom and dad happy or because "that's what you're supposed to do"), your pre-written script has sort of run it's course, and you must decide on your own what direction you want life to take next.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM

3,992 posts, read 4,965,657 times
New York is not for everyone. Just because you were born here doesn't mean you have to stay.

I was born in Hawaii and couldn't wait to get out. Most people think I'm crazy, but it just wasn't for me. I thrive on stress and pressure. Hawaii is extremely laid back. I went to the opposite extreme and moved to New York. I'm much happier here.

You may be happier in Colorado.

You can't change where you were born, but you can change where you live.

It's always best to be where you're happy. If Colorado better fits your personality and lifestyle, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City